Josh Allen's command in one play

Simon

33 minutes ago, Simon said:

Did you notice how long he kept his eyes on the post after he gave the safety that little pump? I swear he intentionally moved that safety with his eyes for almost a full second to keep him out of the third he knew he was going to lead Diggs into on the cross. He's not just reading it at this point, he's already progressed to that uncommon level where he's actively manipulating the field.

It's a rare and beautiful treat to watch this incredible (and maybe even unprecedented) progression happening right in front of us every week.

It seemed like something clicked for him this year. Early on he seemed to struggle a bit as teams switched up how they defended us but at a certain point he just started carving them up and it didn't matter what they were doing.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ve mentioned this several times. But there’s only one person who has near the football will of Allen and that’s obviously mahomes. I think Allen is a better player bc if you put him in that KC offense with Reid then he’s obliterating everyone. 

Don’t worry, I think our offense is just as good as KC, if not better, I will take our receivers over KC. It’s just that Kelce is so much better than any of our tight ends. If you put Kelce here; then we are putting up 45 pts per game minimum every game

13 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's an incredible ascension.  But he showed a lot of signs last year.

I thought the signs he showed last year were limited to his physical tools and his will. He hadn't shown a whole lot of capability to manage the field and adjust to different looks. The mental leap he's taken this year is otherworldly. I've asked a few other TBD OG's if they can come up with a QB who has taken this kind of leap in a single year and nobody has managed to think of one yet. Can you think of any? I can't come up with one.

13 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It seemed like something clicked for him this year. Early on he seemed to struggle a bit as teams switched up how they defended us but at a certain point he just started carving them up and it didn't matter what they were doing.

Yeah, the first month or so teams were trying to throw man concepts at this offense and Allen and Daboll were absolutely shredding them. When they started to move exclusively to zones, it took a brief adjustment period but I agree that it just doesn't matter much right now. Belichik tried to run more man schemes last night than I expected and got his ass handed to him for his troubles. I think opposing co-ordinators have just reached the point where they're throwing their hands up and screaming "What the *@#& do you want me to do?" There's only so many things you can do and you still have to figure out a way to defend every freaking blade of grass on the field. Hell, when he's roiling right you even have to defend the first two feet of white paint also. It's a total nightmare for both coaches and players and the only solution I see is to limit their possessions by keeping the Bills offense off the field. That actually spooks me because when you consider the weakness in the interior of their Front7, that strategy actually has some potential for success.

• Like (+1) 1

Great posts and a lot of good points brought up.  Thanks to you guys posting about specific plays and the in-depth observations.

We could see something great with Mahomes/Allen battling each other.  I really hope to see that in the AFCCG.

Years from now maybe it will come down to which one works harder and wants it more.

Josh's life and football journey is showing me he is pretty pretty hungry!

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

Great posts and a lot of good points brought up.  Thanks to you guys posting about specific plays and the in-depth observations.

We could see something great with Mahomes/Allen battling each other.  I really hope to see that in the AFCCG.

Years from now maybe it will come down to which one works harder and wants it more.

Josh's life and football journey is showing me he is pretty pretty hungry!

The world deserves that AFCCG after putting up with 2020.

Also I know it kind of sucks to have a guy like Mahomes in the Conference but at the same time for the sake of great football I really like the idea of these two pushing each other to be better each year.

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The world deserves that AFCCG after putting up with 2020.

Also I know it kind of sucks to have a guy like Mahomes in the Conference but at the same time for the sake of great football I really like the idea of these two pushing each other to be better each year.

Yes to all your points.  The AFC potentially has a couple other QBs who could rise.  Just looking at the near term AFC/NFC QB

situations the AFC is looking extremely tough.

13 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

It's an incredible ascension.  But he showed a lot of signs last year. He's just a unique player and talent. And his ceiling is equal to Mahomes, and maybe more because he's bigger, faster, and a better runner. Rolling out, Josh is insane now. Mahomes has won it all so we cannot say Josh is his equal, but this year, Josh has been as good. I can't even imagine how good he might be with Kelce, Hill, Sammy, the other WR plus the running game. He needs to play well in playoffs but there's no reason to think he can't or won't. He's been as good as Mahomes this year. 

I’ve been “hopeful” about our offense at times in recent years, but it’s been a LONG time since I could describe our offense as “fun to watch”.  THIS is a whole new level.  It’s must see TV, and I’ll be watching this one again! 

I know every week won’t set new records, but the floor and the ceiling are both elevated. I hope next year Josh has a speed option at RB who can break one from anywhere. I know, I know, I’m a greedy %$^#! 

• Like (+1) 1

The combo Allen - Knox broke the game open, we know BB always tries to nullify your best weapon and make you beat them with the other teams' 3rd option on offense.

At the beginning of the game they were able to control Diggs and they were able to get to Beasley quickly enough for him not to become a threat after the catch. You could feel the offense not being comfortable until that Allen - Knox connection started clicking. 

Outside that easy drop in the redzone, Knox had a great game. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I thought the signs he showed last year were limited to his physical tools and his will. He hadn't shown a whole lot of capability to manage the field and adjust to different looks. The mental leap he's taken this year is otherworldly. I've asked a few other TBD OG's if they can come up with a QB who has taken this kind of leap in a single year and nobody has managed to think of one yet. Can you think of any? I can't come up with one.

Drew Brees? He went pretty quickly from lousy to decent in San Diego and then to the stratosphere with the Saints. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Simon said:

That strike to Knox early in the 2nd qrtr was my favorite of the game and showcased Allen's massive leap forward in a single play.

Sell the inside handoff hard to hold both LB's, immediately move the safety out of the lane with his eyes and then a quick release 30yrd laser right on Knox's hands. 

It's a great example of the total command of the entire field he's been showing for a couple months now.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/what-an-arm-josh-allen-hits-dawson-knox-with-a-24-yard-strike-bills-at-patriots

So true. That laser "thread the needle" to Knox and the last TD to Diggs are throws only Josh can make. Even the announcers were marveling at how often he throws back against the grain 20+ yards downfield without a hesitation. 

On 12/29/2020 at 5:55 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

Drew Brees? He went pretty quickly from lousy to decent in San Diego and then to the stratosphere with the Saints. 

That's a good one! I was thinking Steve Young '88 to '89 but that's a better one I think.

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

That's a good one! I was thinking Steve Young '88 to '89 but that's a better one I think.

Yeah, that's the best one I've seen.

I couldn't come up with anything better than Rich Gannon and that isn't even close.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that pass was tipped as well. I liked the throw across his body to Diggs for I think was a 22 yard completion. Making throws he's not supposed to, manipulating defenses, driving Bellichek nuts enough to show rage. His progression from year 2 to 3 has been simply astounding