The Trevor Lawrence Situation

Teddy KGB

21 minutes ago, mannc said:
31 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yeah, the Jags will get healthy as soon as they dump Marrone, but I don’t think the Jets are as bad as you think. If they get the right coach and a decent QB, they could turn things around pretty quickly.  They’ve actually drafted well the past couple years.

Getting the right coach and QB. 

So hard to do, simultaneously no less.

8 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Getting the right coach and QB. 

So hard to do, simultaneously no less.

Yeah, easier said than done, but it won’t be hard to significantly improve on Gase and Darnold.  That’s probably the worst coach/QB combination in football.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Assume the Jets or Jags land Lawrence.  The cupboard is bare in both places, so this kid is going to get KILLED if he goes to either of the J teams.  If I'm him, I stay in school and hope for a better team to draft me first in 2022.  I'd want to avoid a tire fire for the next 4-5 years.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but who wants to play for either the Jets or Jags?  They'd need a complete overhaul in the front office and coaching staff for me to want to play in either place.

Even if Trevor goes back to Clemson & comes out in 2022, whatever team drafts him #1 will be bad. Teams drafting in the top-2 is have a bad O-lines, regardless of year. All staying in school another would do is get him drafted by a different bad team. Maybe he wants a shot at going to a less dysfunctional organization than the Jets or Jags, but that's a big risk, as both could have the #1 pick again next year. His best bet is to just suck it up, get his money, and take his lumps on a bad team, rather than risk injury in another college season.

45 minutes ago, 947 said:

Even if Trevor goes back to Clemson & comes out in 2022, whatever team drafts him #1 will be bad. Teams drafting in the top-2 is have a bad O-lines, regardless of year. All staying in school another would do is get him drafted by a different bad team. Maybe he wants a shot at going to a less dysfunctional organization than the Jets or Jags, but that's a big risk, as both could have the #1 pick again next year. His best bet is to just suck it up, get his money, and take his lumps on a bad team, rather than risk injury in another college season.

I'd take bad team over bad organization.  Jets and Jags have no chance to pull it together in the next 4 years.  If he's any good at all, he's tied to the organization for at least 5 years, and could go more with the franchise tag.  You've got a point to take the money and run, but if you want a career, stay in school.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'd take bad team over bad organization.  Jets and Jags have no chance to pull it together in the next 4 years.  If he's any good at all, he's tied to the organization for at least 5 years, and could go more with the franchise tag.  You've got a point to take the money and run, but if you want a career, stay in school.

I disagree completely with your statements. Any team can pull it together with the right GM & coach, especially if they have the right QB.  Jacksonville has openings for both GM & coach. How can you say they have no chance in the next 4 years if they get Lawrence & the right GM & right coach?  That's ridiculous.  Even the graveyard of coaches, Cleveland, has turned it around in Mayfield's 3rd season.  The Jets?  If the GM doesn't get things right fast, he'll be gone within the next 2 years.  Also the Jets organization will be back together when Woody comes back to the USA in January.  If they can't straighten it out in 4 years they'll only have themselves to blame.  There isn't a team in the NFL, with the right GM, that can't turn things around in 4 years.   

• Like (+1) 2

IMO his best chance is if he makes public comments about the organizations which would make it difficult for those organizations to sign him.

He is under no obligation before the draft to treat them better.

He needs to be professional about it though stating weaknesses, history, etc. which reflect on management of team before and current GM and question a team which does not replace people who give impression of incompetence.   There are reporters for each times which like to rattle the cages who will help. 

He should also look for an agent which has had issues with those teams in past.

This will increase likelihood of team trading pick.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I disagree completely with your statements. Any team can pull it together with the right GM & coach, especially if they have the right QB.  Jacksonville has openings for both GM & coach. How can you say they have no chance in the next 4 years if they get Lawrence & the right GM & right coach?  That's ridiculous.  Even the graveyard of coaches, Cleveland, has turned it around in Mayfield's 3rd season.  The Jets?  If the GM doesn't get things right fast, he'll be gone within the next 2 years.  Also the Jets organization will be back together when Woody comes back to the USA in January.  If they can't straighten it out in 4 years they'll only have themselves to blame.  There isn't a team in the NFL, with the right GM, that can't turn things around in 4 years.   

Jags and Jest ownership are the worst in football. Jags were one win away from SB 3 years ago, now they're a one win team.  Jests are perennially bad.  I think they'll both still be bad 4 years from now.  Time will tell.

I have selfish reasons I’m hopeful he ends up at the Jags.  They may have made lots of bad decisions on personnel (hate admit that one as I’m a St. Francis grad like Caldwell, but he was after my time).  I have some very dear friends in Jax and enjoy the city when working there.  They are all beaten down Jags fans, and are just looking for that spark like us in 2017 where they get a great tandem like McBeane.  Khan is one of the richest owners in the NFL so he could easily pay top $ for those important pieces.  I have this feeling (probably irrational one) Brian Gaine and Daboll go to the Texans together, and maybe Bieniemy  and another hot GM candidate end up in Jax.

I wouldn’t touch the Jets job with a 10 ft. Pole and Lawrence would probably flourish in a few years in Jax.  He really doesn’t have a say so just going back to Clemson for another year just forces then he has no choices.  The Eli Manning, John Elway trades back in the day probably never happens again.

Besides, I don’t want the Jests getting Lawrence as if the GM chooses the right coach, they could in four years get humming.

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

yes.  You may now answer it.

With a new coach, and some front office change ups, which you’ve got to think has to be in the cards I think Lawrence will be a huge piece for the future of their franchise.  

Not saying he’s the next Brady but it was exhausting facing him twice a year. Not just the wins, but the talk leading up to the game, the constant praising in game. Regardless of where he goes or how well he does early he’ll be a constant talking point. 

My preference which is what i made abundantly clear (and in my opinion didn’t need to be spelled out) is that I’d prefer it’s some other divisions focus and not the afc east. 

Let Allen be THE qb focus of the east for a bit. 

We’ve earned it. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

With a new coach, and some front office change ups, which you’ve got to think has to be in the cards I think Lawrence will be a huge piece for the future of their franchise.  

Not saying he’s the next Brady but it was exhausting facing him twice a year. Not just the wins, but the talk leading up to the game, the constant praising in game. Regardless of where he goes or how well he does early he’ll be a constant talking point. 

My preference which is what i made abundantly clear (and in my opinion didn’t need to be spelled out) is that I’d prefer it’s some other divisions focus and not the afc east. 

Let Allen be THE qb focus of the east for a bit. 

We’ve earned it. 

why are you worried about “talking points”? 

Josh Allen and the Bills win games.  They are the toast of the country.

Unless Lawrence is bringing 10 more 1st rounders with him, he will waste away on that crappy Jets team, no matter who they get to coach it.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/26/2020 at 9:59 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

Assume the Jets or Jags land Lawrence.  The cupboard is bare in both places, so this kid is going to get KILLED if he goes to either of the J teams.  If I'm him, I stay in school and hope for a better team to draft me first in 2022.  I'd want to avoid a tire fire for the next 4-5 years.  Of course, nothing is guaranteed, but who wants to play for either the Jets or Jags?  They'd need a complete overhaul in the front office and coaching staff for me to want to play in either place.

College football isn't stable with the Pandemic and he has nowhere to go but down and any team that gets 1 is going to be bad, so go play now. There isn't really a decision to make here.

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

why are you worried about “talking points”? 

Josh Allen and the Bills win games.  They are the toast of the country.

Unless Lawrence is bringing 10 more 1st rounders with him, he will waste away on that crappy Jets team, no matter who they get to coach it.

I’m not worried about anything. I’d prefer he’s not in our division for the reasons stated above.  I then posted that on a message board where people share thoughts and opinions. 

You dont care care about the same things, cool. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

14 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I’m not worried about anything. I’d prefer he’s not in our division for the reasons stated above.  I then posted that on a message board where people share thoughts and opinions. 

You dont care care about the same things, cool. 

Yeah, I don't care about nonsense.

You're about "Not just the wins, but the talk leading up to the game, the constant praising in game. Regardless of where he goes or how well he does early he’ll be a constant talking point."

Again, why be bothered with all that?

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, I don't care about nonsense.

You're about "Not just the wins, but the talk leading up to the game, the constant praising in game. Regardless of where he goes or how well he does early he’ll be a constant talking point."

Again, why be bothered with all that?

You keep trying to put words in my mouth. I’m not “bothered” or “worried”, I’d PREFER he’s not in the east and it looks like I get my wish. 

Not really sure why you would care about my preferences. 

Not enough gifts for Xmas? Pandemic getting to you? I’m here to talk but not really about this. Especially since he’s most likely a jag now. Topic kinda reached its expiration date when the Jets won today. 

Any of my other preferences you’d like to know about? Boxers/briefs, snes/sega? You seem to be really interested. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

16 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

You keep trying to put words in my mouth. I’m not “bothered” or “worried”, I’d PREFER he’s not in the east and it looks like I get my wish. 

Not really sure why you would care about my preferences. 

Not enough gifts for Xmas? Pandemic getting to you? I’m here to talk but not really about this. Especially since he’s most likely a jag now. Topic kinda reached its expiration date when the Jets won today. 

Any of my other preferences you’d like to know about? Boxers/briefs, snes/sega? You seem to be really interested. 

I quoted you.

And you're not here to talk about this, but you felt compelled to post about it (something non-football that you prefer no to have to deal with, not because it bothers you though......).  It's good there is such a place like this where you can get these non-worrisome, non bothersome, non football preferences.

I won't ask your other preferences as you seem intent on sharing them with us.... unprovoked.

18 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I quoted you.

And you're not here to talk about this, but you felt compelled to post about it (something non-football that you prefer no to have to deal with, not because it bothers you though......).  It's good there is such a place like this where you can get these non-worrisome, non bothersome, non football preferences.

I won't ask your other preferences as you seem intent on sharing them with us.... unprovoked.

I mean, I’m willing to discuss it to a degree.

You wanted me to tell you why I felt the way I did. I explained it and instead of reacting like a normal human adult would in a normal human discussion. You decided to go the old internet curmudgeon route and proceeded to tell me I was wrong to feel the way I felt with a condescending ‘tude. 

You obviously feel differently than I do. What’s left to discuss? You’re not going to change the way you feel based on what I have to say and I’m certainly not changing my opinion because of anything you have to say. 

It’s a no win proposition. 

Your copy/paste quotes, let me ignore most of the post and concentrate on one thing to push my spin doctored narrative like a dog with a bone schtick is tired, and quite frankly not as good as you probably think it is. 

P.s. briefs and snes 

Edited by Bobby Hooks