Do people realize this when it comes to the Bills WR position?

njbuff

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I believe Allen is the ONLY 1st rounder on this offense.  Pretty amazing!

Yea I heard Dabes say that the other day. I have to say I did pause on it.... while he wasn't selected in round 1 of the draft to THIS organisation Stefon Diggs is a first rounder. We spent a 1st round pick on him.

After him though it is Dawkins? And Morse and Ford.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

While I don't disagree that this front office is more competent than any we have had in my fandom Brandon Beane has an advantage that other than he only Buddy Nix to some extent enjoyed - he is aligned with his Head Coach. They have a shared vision of what they are building and the schemes they are drafting for. I think the Bills are one of only 3 teams (the Saints and the 49ers being the others) to have had the same HC, OC, DC for at least 3 seasons. No coincidence that those 3 teams are among the best drafting organisations in that time as per the analysis on here last week.

Nix was aligned with Gailey unfortunately Gailey couldn't find a DC he liked and they flipped defensive scheme every year. And Nix had his share of whiffs too... but he was the only other GM that had a chance here in the last 20 years IMO. It's really hard to be a successful drafting team when you have no continuity in coaching and scheme. Beane and McDermott together are doing a really good job. Next step? Go win some playoff games.

Nix was not the right guy for the GM position.  He was not at all strategic.  His coaching and personnel moves were wonton - out of synch.  There was never a clear plan with him or Whaley.  Nix knew the game, was a great scout, etc.  But he never should have been “the guy” to run the show.  Wilson knew him, and he needed someone in there that he knew.  

Brandon Beane’s advantages come from his intelligence, his strategic vision, and his ability to create a culture of success.  He leads and builds confidence at all levels of the organization.  He is not the Scout that Nix was, but he knows how to take the information provided from guys like Nix and make better decisions with that information.  

4 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

Nix was not the right guy for the GM position.  He was not at all strategic.  His coaching and personnel moves were wonton - out of synch.  There was never a clear plan with him or Whaley.  Nix knew the game, was a great scout, etc.  But he never should have been “the guy” to run the show.  Wilson knew him, and he needed someone in there that he knew.  

Brandon Beane’s advantages come from his intelligence, his strategic vision, and his ability to create a culture of success.  He leads and builds confidence at all levels of the organization.  He is not the Scout that Nix was, but he knows how to take the information provided from guys like Nix and make better decisions with that information.  

I agree Nix was in over his head as a GM. But he was at least aligned with his coach. In my eyes if you don't have that as a starting point doesn't matter about the rest you are bound to fail.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/10/2020 at 5:38 AM, njbuff said:

The player who was drafted the highest was John Brown............. in the 3RD ROUND.

Diggs was a 5th rounder

Beasley was undrafted

Davis was a 4th round rounder

and the 5th guy they use, McKenzie, is a former castoff of the Broncos, was a 5th rounder .

Props to these guys for making themselves part of one of the best WR groups in all the NFL. Not one of them came into the league as a blue chip guy.

Kudos to them.

Forget just the WR...the only player on the entire offense who was a first round pick is Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/10/2020 at 5:38 AM, njbuff said:

The player who was drafted the highest was John Brown............. in the 3RD ROUND.

Diggs was a 5th rounder

Beasley was undrafted

Davis was a 4th round rounder

and the 5th guy they use, McKenzie, is a former castoff of the Broncos, was a 5th rounder .

Props to these guys for making themselves part of one of the best WR groups in all the NFL. Not one of them came into the league as a blue chip guy.

Kudos to them.

I really don’t mean this as a negative but I think it shows growth in the Front office.  Honestly, they kinda sucked at drafted receivers.  So they went the free agent route and signed established vets.  I mean this genuinely, that it is very smart to know what your weaknesses are.  And then when you draft a guy like Davis, you don’t have to force him into a role and he can contribute naturally.   

they went from drafting guys like Zay Jones and trading for Benjamin to having a top 5 group. Salute. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree Nix was in over his head as a GM. But he was at least aligned with his coach. In my eyes if you don't have that as a starting point doesn't matter about the rest you are bound to fail.

Didn't the Nix Bills get to 5-1 once with a QB/WR combo of Fitz, SJ13, Nelson and Jones all of whom were 6th rounders or undrafted?

The year before the Bills opening day OL was the least experienced offensive line to start an NFL game since 1950(Wood, Levitre, DeMattress Malone etc..).

Totally useless trivia but at the time some people here thought that it meant the bills were playing 3D chess.

54 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Didn't the Nix Bills get to 5-1 once with a QB/WR combo of Fitz, SJ13, Nelson and Jones all of whom were 6th rounders or undrafted?

The year before the Bills opening day OL was the least experienced offensive line to start an NFL game since 1950(Wood, Levitre, DeMattress Malone etc..).

Totally useless trivia but at the time some people here thought that it meant the bills were playing 3D chess.

Yea Nix and Gailey were fun to me. In over their heads, but nice guys and fun.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:50 AM, Utah John said:

For many years the Bills couldn't draft to save their lives.  Pick after pick either sucked, got hurt, or FA'd away.  A couple of years ago I checked how many of the Bills picks from rounds 1-3 from the previous few years were on the team, and out of about 15 players picked, only two or three were still on the team.  Instead, the Bills had high-priced FAs, most of whom didn't work out.

Beane is simply a better evaluator of talent, and is a much better manager in terms of planning how to build the team, than we had in two decades of darkness. 

Plus, the Flutie curse, which had held us back since the Music City Miracle he didn't get to play in, was officially lifted during the 49ers game when Flutie tweeted his support of the Bills.  Now, finally, we can win some playoff games.

Well, Diggs and Beasely are high priced trade/FA...but they both have brought significant returns.

Also, despite it being a glaring need, Beane essentially ignored WR in his '18 and '19 drafts.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:41 AM, TroutDog said:

That’s a great catch...and probably why there isn’t a diva in the group. 

Diggs was a five-star recruit who went to Maryland with no quarterbacks. He was a top 10 recruit in the country

If he went to a USC, or Clemson , or ohio state where he could've went he easily would've been drafted way higher.

He stayed close to home, had terrible quarterback play, still balled as much as he could, and it hurt his draft stock. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Diggs was a five-star recruit who went to Maryland with no quarterbacks. He was a top 10 recruit in the country

If he went to a USC, or Clemson , or ohio state where he could've went he easily would've been drafted way higher.

He stayed close to home, had terrible quarterback play, still balled as much as he could, and it hurt his draft stock. 

I’m aware of all of that. My point is he didn’t have that top QB play and, thus, production. It made him recognize, in my opinion, it’s not all about him.