Do people realize this when it comes to the Bills WR position?

njbuff

The player who was drafted the highest was John Brown............. in the 3RD ROUND.

Diggs was a 5th rounder

Beasley was undrafted

Davis was a 4th round rounder

and the 5th guy they use, McKenzie, is a former castoff of the Broncos, was a 5th rounder .

Props to these guys for making themselves part of one of the best WR groups in all the NFL. Not one of them came into the league as a blue chip guy.

Kudos to them.

• Like (+1) 29
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

The player who was drafted the highest was John Brown............. in the 3RD ROUND.

Diggs was a 5th rounder

Beasley was undrafted

and the 5th guy they use, McKenzie, is a former castoff of the Broncos, was a 5th rounder .

Props to these guys for making themselves part of one of the best WR groups in all the NFL. Not one of them came into the league as a blue chip guy.

Kudos to them.

I didn’t realize that. 

I think it shows in the way they play. They had to earn their position the hard way, so they appreciate the opportunity. It’s a great success story for sure. 

For many years the Bills couldn't draft to save their lives.  Pick after pick either sucked, got hurt, or FA'd away.  A couple of years ago I checked how many of the Bills picks from rounds 1-3 from the previous few years were on the team, and out of about 15 players picked, only two or three were still on the team.  Instead, the Bills had high-priced FAs, most of whom didn't work out.

Beane is simply a better evaluator of talent, and is a much better manager in terms of planning how to build the team, than we had in two decades of darkness. 

Plus, the Flutie curse, which had held us back since the Music City Miracle he didn't get to play in, was officially lifted during the 49ers game when Flutie tweeted his support of the Bills.  Now, finally, we can win some playoff games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Utah John said:

For many years the Bills couldn't draft to save their lives.  Pick after pick either sucked, got hurt, or FA'd away.  A couple of years ago I checked how many of the Bills picks from rounds 1-3 from the previous few years were on the team, and out of about 15 players picked, only two or three were still on the team.  Instead, the Bills had high-priced FAs, most of whom didn't work out.

Beane is simply a better evaluator of talent, and is a much better manager in terms of planning how to build the team, than we had in two decades of darkness. 

Plus, the Flutie curse, which had held us back since the Music City Miracle he didn't get to play in, was officially lifted during the 49ers game when Flutie tweeted his support of the Bills.  Now, finally, we can win some playoff games.

While I don't disagree that this front office is more competent than any we have had in my fandom Brandon Beane has an advantage that other than he only Buddy Nix to some extent enjoyed - he is aligned with his Head Coach. They have a shared vision of what they are building and the schemes they are drafting for. I think the Bills are one of only 3 teams (the Saints and the 49ers being the others) to have had the same HC, OC, DC for at least 3 seasons. No coincidence that those 3 teams are among the best drafting organisations in that time as per the analysis on here last week.

Nix was aligned with Gailey unfortunately Gailey couldn't find a DC he liked and they flipped defensive scheme every year. And Nix had his share of whiffs too... but he was the only other GM that had a chance here in the last 20 years IMO. It's really hard to be a successful drafting team when you have no continuity in coaching and scheme. Beane and McDermott together are doing a really good job. Next step? Go win some playoff games.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, njbuff said:

Diggs was a 5th rounder

Beasley was undrafted

Kudos to them.

McKenzie is the only WR still on the team since Josh was drafted. 

FWIW

And hopefully this group is together for a couple more years. I think knowing that Brown is up there a little bit and seeing some previous struggles without him would prompt me to add a speed guy somewhere in the draft but it may not be so dire if they play without him the way they did Monday night. 

12 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

McKenzie is the only WR still on the team since Josh was drafted. 

FWIW

Nope. Who played Josh's rookie year. When Josh was drafted McKenzie was a Bronco. He was picked up off waivers during Josh's rookie season.

7 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Diggs should've been drafted higher then the 5th round on pure talent alone 

I believe he got injured at Maryland that hurt him some. I remember watching him play against Darius Slay who was still at the time a top 5 corner in the NFL during Diggs's rookie year and I was sold. He just popped off the screen. I had never heard of him before that. He was one of my favourite non Bills in the league before he became a Bill.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

<snip>

Nix was aligned with Gailey unfortunately Gailey couldn't find a DC he liked and they flipped defensive scheme every year. And Nix had his share of whiffs too... but he was the only other GM that had a chance here in the last 20 years IMO. It's really hard to be a successful drafting team when you have no continuity in coaching and scheme. Beane and McDermott together are doing a really good job. Next step? Go win some playoff games.

At the time, I wondered how much RW was still stirring the stew, including that strange period during training camp with Vince Young.

I think Buddy & Chan were always up against it with the 'organization'.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, hemma said:

At the time, I wondered how much RW was still stirring the stew, including that strange period during training camp with Vince Young.

Yea and they were nice guys and good football people who were just a bit out of their depth. Buddy was a good scout. Chan was a good OC. They never really had much business as an NFL GM/HC combo. But they at least made the Bills fun again for a couple of years. We had some fun players... Stevie, Fred, CJ, Fitz, Mario... We weren't gonna win anything with them but they were fun and easy to root for which after the absolute boredom of Jauron and Marv was something at least.

23 minutes ago, hemma said:

What in particular was strange about the Vince Young time?

12 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

What in particular was strange about the Vince Young time?

About 2 days before we gave Young a tryout, ESPN ran a 'Why hasn't anyone picked up Vince Young?' segment, nonstop.  I remember watching it and wondering when Buddy would announce that he had been signed.  Sure enough, it happened and I always had the feeling that RW was watching at the same time and thinking, "How can I P off Bud Adams?  I know, I'll pick up Young and make him successful."  RW and Adams had a history, which included middle finger usage.

The thing I thought was most strange was that Chan never showed any 'ownership'.  It was pretty clear he had been served a platter of cold, boiled, creamed cauliflower and he would have to eat all of it without comment.  In all of Chan's pressers, he never said anything positive about this unexpected addition to the QB 'competition'.

That was my take anyway, but then again, I was paranoid. Nevertheless, RW interfering sure seemed to fit.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You can look for the magic formula under every rock and sofa cushion but it always come back to quarterback. Peterman would not be doing what Josh is doing this year. 

Hey, that's not on. Nate was very clear every time he sucked that only God is allowed to judge him.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. Who played Josh's rookie year. When Josh was drafted McKenzie was a Bronco. He was picked up off waivers during Josh's rookie season.

Wordsmiths  (learn 'Murican English)  ;)  ;)  :lol:

My intent was to say 

McKenzie is the only remaining  WR from  Josh's rookie season !!!     All other (useless guys) are gone

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Wordsmiths  (learn 'Murican English)  ;)  ;)  :lol:

My intent was to say 

McKenzie is the only remaining  WR from  Josh's rookie season !!!     All other (useless guys) are gone

I mean if we didn't come and correct you, where would you be?

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

While I don't disagree that this front office is more competent than any we have had in my fandom Brandon Beane has an advantage that other than he only Buddy Nix to some extent enjoyed - he is aligned with his Head Coach. They have a shared vision of what they are building and the schemes they are drafting for. I think the Bills are one of only 3 teams (the Saints and the 49ers being the others) to have had the same HC, OC, DC for at least 3 seasons. No coincidence that those 3 teams are among the best drafting organisations in that time as per the analysis on here last week.

I often wonder what a Gailey team with EJ and Jim Schwartz would have looked like...