49ers to a man say they knew what the Bills were going to do on offense, were not surprised but were helpless to stop them

Big Turk

6 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Yes but if they knew what was coming why did they let it happen I guess.  Maybe im biased because of all the fawning over Saleh this week but Dabs out coached him imo.

They didn't "let" it happen...they were helpless to stop it. Allen was too good last night.  I don't think there are many teams in the NFL that would have had much success against him yesterday.

5 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

Also, Allen got a superstar call last night on the roughing the passer penalty and that's probably the first time we've seen it.

I was scrolling through the PatsFans.com thread that was following the Bills/SF game and one of the posters was complaining about this call that Allen got.  Did he really not notice the favorable calls that Brady got for the last 20 years?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Groin said:

Such an odd comment.  It's like the opposing team saying that the pitcher was tipping their pitches -- while losing in a no hitter.

I think he is saying it was like facing Mariano Rivera when he was at his peak.  What's he going to throw?  Cut fast ball.  You know it.  He knows it.  Everyone in the stands knows it.  Are you going to hit it?  No.  He was saying even when they knew just what he was going to do, he was so good that they couldn't stop Allen.

• Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

They didn't "let" it happen...they were helpless to stop it. Allen was too good last night.  I don't think there are many teams in the NFL that would have had much success against him yesterday.

Maybe but some of those plays they def didnt know.  The wheel to Mckenzie hasnt been run this year so I dont think they knew that was coming.  Obviously on the Davis TD they thought they knew what was gonna happen.  To me a more humbled tone is "even when we thought we knew what they were gonna do we were wrong."  Guess I would accept "we knew they would dink and dunk and we were ok with it but that cost us when we were too aggresive."  

3 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

I think he is saying it was like facing Mariano Rivera when he was at his peak.  What's he going to throw?  Cut fast ball.  You know it.  He knows it.  Everyone in the stands knows it.  Are you going to hit it?  No.  He was saying even when they knew just what he was going to do, he was so good that they couldn't stop Allen.

Baseball analogy is tough to me.  Hitting a pitch is like one of the hardest things to do in sports and doesnt involve the "team."  If you know the play sometimes all you need is to blow up a single assignment and the play is defeated.

16 minutes ago, y2zipper said:

I think they did have the red zone offense figured out a little bit considering they got 2 stops there. Buffalo tried to play action and they cover the tackle and the second drive is the one with the two penalties in it. I think they instructed Josh not to run too much yesterday and it hurt when they got inside the five little bit.

Im sorta meh on them figuring out our red zone offense.  If you replace lee smith with Kroft thats a TD on the first drive (its not supposed to go to the Tackle, we havent thrown to the tackle on that play once this year).  The second time they "got us" it was more cause of that 3rd down holding call.  Their run defense was good which made it hard for us.

24 minutes ago, LVGrown said:

He was 8/8 on passes over 20 yards. Since when is that dinking and dunking? 

I think his point is that if they shut the long stuff down, today Josh "didn't get greedy" and just carved them up with the short stuff ("dink and dunk")

If they shut down the short stuff, Josh shrugged and went long.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

They pretty much stayed in the same defense all game. Rush 4 and play zone. terrible coaching

You wanted them to play man against Allen last night?  It might have been worse than it was. Allen and Mahomes are the only 2 QBs in the NFL with an 80+ QBR against both man and zone coverages.  It's not like that was going to help much.  Oh yeah, Allen also has one of the highest QB Ratings in the NFL against the blitz as well, so it would have looked like the Seahawk game if they tried that.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

You wanted them to play man against Allen last night?  It might have been worse than it was. Allen and Mahomes are the only 2 QBs in the NFL with an 80+ QBR against both man and zone coverages.  It's not like that was going to help much.  Oh yeah, Allen also has one of the highest QB Ratings in the NFL against the blitz as well.

I just made an observation. I don't think anything would have stopped us but I would have tried something since what they were doing wasn't working

8 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Maybe but some of those plays they def didnt know.  The wheel to Mckenzie hasnt been run this year so I dont think they knew that was coming.  Obviously on the Davis TD they thought they knew what was gonna happen.  To me a more humbled tone is "even when we thought we knew what they were gonna do we were wrong."  Guess I would accept "we knew they would dink and dunk and we were ok with it but that cost us when we were too aggresive."  

Yeah, he was fully prepared for that ball to go to Beasely and he was ready to make a tackle before the sticks, and it just went right over his head.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

This is the really great takeaway from the game...the 49ers knew exactly what the Bills were going to do, but were helpless to stop it.  They were a very good defense, 4th ranked against the pass and the Bills just manhandled them the entire game. It wasn't even a fair fight...it looked like Allen was a high schooler playing with his 5 year old little brother and his friends and whooping on them.

Shanahan:

"Obviously it didn’t work out well. We did blitz sometimes. When I get back to the hotel in a second, I’ll find out how much. When we did blitz, he got away from it and made some big plays. When we didn’t, he just dinked and dunked it and got after us too. Our defense has been carrying us all year. They were up against a big challenge today and we didn’t play our best on D. That’s why we had to offense and special teams. It was going to be one of those type of games that was going to be a shootout. We had a chance to do it on offense and make this game similar to how New Orleans was last year (48-46 win last December). It just got away from us.”

Dre Greenlaw:

“I think that’s probably the worst part, we knew exactly what they were running just from head to toe, and we just came up short,” Greenlaw said. “It’s kind of a weird feeling. We knew exactly what they were running.” 

Fred Warner:

"He for sure had probably one of his best games. We knew about the arm talent and the escapability to be able to extend plays, and he showed that off today. So hats off to him. We obviously needed to play better on defense to win that game."

Richard Sherman:

"He was in good control of the game. He didn't pass up any easy looks. He didn't take any risky throws. The D-Line was doing everything they could and put a lot of pressure on him but he did a great job of evading and extending plays. You extend plays for four or five seconds and the coverage usually breaks down regardless of what you're in. So you've got to give him credit, man. He played a freaking fantastic game."

Back in the Superbowl days, that's what opponents (and some of the Bills) used to say - "they knew exactly what we were going to do, and they couldn't stop it"

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Back in the Superbowl days, that's what opponents (and some of the Bills) used to say - "they knew exactly what we were going to do, and they couldn't stop it"

Yes...I remember those quotes...many times from Miami.  And on occasion where they did win, they would say something like "How many times do you think you are going to run the same plays before we are going to make some plays on defense?? We know what is coming and we defended it well"

Edited by matter2003