Good news for the 2021 salary cap

Seasons1992

1 minute ago, Seasons1992 said:

I speculated this was going to be the case all along but received pushback from a lot of people. It just makes sense...the league doesn't want to force a bunch of players to be out of work and teams to have roster bloodbaths.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s good news it happens, but there are assumptions on this Florio article.  This makes assumptions there is a viable vaccine, there is complicity of every state govt., and governor, and agrees full stadiums in 2021.  His is not a Covid point, it’s just an NFL issue leading to salary cap.  The last thing I want to do is promote another Covid debate thread as the mods were clear to keep those discussions on the Covid thread.  My comments are simply related to players being retained, how that relates to free agency, how that changes draft strategy, and the ability for us to all enjoy gong to games which I believe is the feelings of most people here.

Thank you for the find Shady.  It was an interesting, brief read.

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

It’s good news it happens, but there are assumptions on this Florio article.  This makes assumptions there is a viable vaccine, there is complicity of every state govt., and governor, and agrees full stadiums in 2021.  His is not a Covid point, it’s just an NFL issue leading to salary cap.  The last thing I want to do is promote another Covid debate thread as the mods were clear to keep those discussions on the Covid thread.  My comments are simply related to players being retained, how that relates to free agency, how that changes draft strategy, and the ability for us to all enjoy gong to games which I believe is the feelings of most people here.

Thank you for the find Shady.  It was an interesting, brief read.

a viable vaccine is not an assumption....

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Good news indeed! We can -and likely will dump a few over-priced, under-achieving salaries, but we have serious new contracts which need to be worked plus any quality veterans we may need in FA. Spend wisely, Bills Brass.

This might have made the difference between keeping Milano or letting him walk...then again the Bills could have cut some others out and paid him. Now they likely don't need to do that.

Hope Beane can tie him up at a team friendly deal based on injury history.

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

This might have made the difference between keeping Milano or letting him walk...then again the Bills could have cut some others out and paid him. Now they likely don't need to do that.

Hope Beane can tie him up at a team friendly deal based on injury history.

It will be most interesting to see how Beane approaches this situation.

I'm of the belief that they give Milano a one year prove it deal.

Whether stadiums are full or not next year, they still don't need to lower the cap by such a large amount next year.  Spread it out through multiple years like the NBA did, then teams wont be scrambling as much

Edited by BillsCuse

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why would Milano do that? 

Because he may not get the type of contract he is looking for from other teams.

His injury history will not be ignored, all the teams interested in him will know this.

7 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

Whether stadiums are full or not next year, they still don't need to lower the cap by such a large amount next year.  Spread it out through multiple years like the NBA did, then teams wont be scrambling as much

Its not that simple as this was discussed in the off-season.  The NFL and NFLPA negotiated it out.  The PA wanted 8-10 years if memory serves, and the NFL obviously wanted 2-3 years.  I can’t remember where they landed, but thought it was 5 yrs.  The other guys probably have the exact answer.

I hope that helps.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why would Milano do that? 

Because 2021 most teams are cash strapped and will find it hard to pay him.

The article infers that 2022 will be a better year financially, and Milano can get his true worth.

From a football perspective: Milano may boost his value on a prove-it contract if he can play a season relatively injury free.

Boater, very good point as it’s important to remember whether it drops to $175, or maybe Florio is partially right, Milano will make much more $ if he takes a $1 yr., and then gets a very good 4 year contract after that one. It’s not inconceivable if Milano plays 14-15 games next year, to give him a very nice contract thereafter.

If this we’re a normal cap year, I can see Milano saying heck no.  No incentive for that one.  Players can be somewhat reasonable to remain a Bill or any other team, but their agents aren’t going to let him be wreckless.  This is his one chance to get generational $.  It’s hard to get that third contract, and that is usually their last minus kickers, and QB’s.Think between his first four, a one year prove it, and then a four year contract, he’s up to nine years in the NFL, and many LB’s start to break down.  Lorax, Spikes, and Fletcher are the exceptions.  Maybe Milano could get a modest third contract, but not top $ at that point.

I do genuinely believe that the league will smooth out the cap, before Covid in early 2020 the league was projecting to have huge increases in the cap due to the extra game per season, growing overseas revenues in the UK and Mexico, and new TV deals.

These were 20-30 million dollar increases or more to the cap year after year. So there is plenty of room to lower future increases from 2022 to 2024 slightly in order to keep the cap flat in 2021.

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Boater, very good point as it’s important to remember whether it drops to $175, or maybe Florio is partially right, Milano will make much more $ if he takes a $1 yr., and then gets a very good 4 year contract after that one. It’s not inconceivable if Milano plays 14-15 games next year, to give him a very nice contract thereafter.

If this we’re a normal cap year, I can see Milano saying heck no.  No incentive for that one.  Players can be somewhat reasonable to remain a Bill or any other team, but their agents aren’t going to let him be wreckless.  This is his one chance to get generational $.  It’s hard to get that third contract, and that is usually their last minus kickers, and QB’s.Think between his first four, a one year prove it, and then a four year contract, he’s up to nine years in the NFL, and many LB’s start to break down.  Lorax, Spikes, and Fletcher are the exceptions.  Maybe Milano could get a modest third contract, but not top $ at that point.

Even if the cap was normal in 2021 I think Milano takes a one year deal, I don't see the market for him being that great for a multi year deal. He is often banged up and not super dynamic when our there. He is a good player but one that hadn't proven to be durable and worth the long term investment.

I think he resigns on a one year deal 5 to 7 million and tries to cash in after proving he can be healthy. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

They were never going to cut it a ton and Force teams to go on entire roster purges with no money left to sign any of those Veterans 

The 175 number was just so that teams could have had a worst case scenario in mind. However the NFL was never going to have it be below 190 in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Even if the cap was normal in 2021 I think Milano takes a one year deal, I don't see the market for him being that great for a multi year deal. He is often banged up and not super dynamic when our there. He is a good player but one that hadn't proven to be durable and worth the long term investment.

I think he resigns on a one year deal 5 to 7 million and tries to cash in after proving he can be healthy. 

The 175 number was just so that teams could have had a worst case scenario in mind. However the NFL was never going to have it be below 190 in my opinion.

I mean there would be teams like the Saints that would have to cut Neary 100M in salary. Just to fit. That wasn’t going to happen. I am like you I thought worse case it would be Flat Next year. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, boater said:

Because 2021 most teams are cash strapped and will find it hard to pay him.

The article infers that 2022 will be a better year financially, and Milano can get his true worth.

From a football perspective: Milano may boost his value on a prove-it contract if he can play a season relatively injury free.

That makes sense but it only takes one team with cash to overpay. There will still be plenty of teams with cap space.

If I'm Milano I take a signing bonus anywhere I can. 

• Like (+1) 1