Covid vaccine real world experiences

GaryPinC

Hello, starting this thread to discuss vaccine type, dosing, side effects, logistics, etc.  A resource as we all look to decide on getting the vaccine. 

Please keep politics or anti/pro crusading out.  I'd just share info about getting the vaccine, either personally or from someone you know.  

I'm in research at a Cleveland hospital but I work with a couple ER docs so I should be able to contribute pretty soon.

We are getting 1000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine supposedly on the 15th.  We employ 7000 so I won't be on the list to get it anytime soon.

Here's also some info about it relayed to me:

• Next Friday, FDA meeting on Pfizer EUA and then ODH will announce shipment if approved. 

• First dose well tolerated / second is potential flu like symptoms so will have to work on how this will be managed and could be staggered dosing once we know more 

• Cohort groups will be prioritized 

• [Additional information, not part of meeting with Dyad. Vaccines – the Pfizer vaccine in the trial had fatigue in 3.8% and headache in 2%. Fewer than 2% of the recipients had high fever that may prevent a person from working. Most such side effects subsided within 12 hours (Summary in Science by Meredith Waldman, Nov 27, 2020). Therefore, although we need to warn recipients of potential side effects to prevent panic and enhance trust, the actual rate of notable side effects is low.] 

Edited by GaryPinC
  • Like (+1) 2

I think 480K doses is 240K patients that can be vaxxed but I'm not sure from that press release. Either way, great real world numbers and probably indicates that by the end of Jan, they'd have gotten everyone.  

Edited by shoshin

9 minutes ago, shoshin said:

I think 480K doses is 240K patients that can be vaxxed but I'm not sure from that press release. Either way, great real world numbers and probably indicates that by the end of Jan, they'd have gotten everyone.  

That's really the big question that I haven't seen an answer to, will there be a follow-on shipment of second round dosings or do these cover half the patients?

3 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Seems more for @Hapless Bills Fan Covid thread in off the wall than PPP with the keep politics out thing.

Yes, but putting this out there creates issues and the thread or two out there are tightly restricted.  I'd rather have it here in an open format so info can be freely shared.

1 minute ago, GaryPinC said:

Yes, but putting this out there creates issues and the thread or two out there are tightly restricted.  I'd rather have it here in an open format so info can be freely shared.

GL, lesser chance of it being ravaged by propaganda now but still some around...

On 12/4/2020 at 11:46 PM, GaryPinC said:

You might have more luck putting it in 'Off the Wall', if you are trying to keep politics out of it.

Good luck though, as I think it's a solid idea, and worthy of it's own thread, rather than being put in with all the other covid stuff in the locked thread.

3 hours ago, Buddo said:

You might have more luck putting it in 'Off the Wall', if you are trying to keep politics out of it.

Good luck though, as I think it's a solid idea, and worthy of it's own thread, rather than being put in with all the other covid stuff in the locked thread.

See my response just above to Warcodered. 

Hopefully this thread will get going in the next couple weeks as the vaccine becomes available.

Can someone explain to me like I’m 5 years old why one would still need to wear a mask in public after receiving their 2nd shot?  I’ve seen various articles stating this will likely be the case but I can’t think of a GOOD reason why (the fact that places will require it is a reason, but not a GOOD one).

14 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Can someone explain to me like I’m 5 years old why one would still need to wear a mask in public after receiving their 2nd shot?  I’ve seen various articles stating this will likely be the case but I can’t think of a GOOD reason why (the fact that places will require it is a reason, but not a GOOD one).

They don't know how long the vaccine will last, not to mention many people wont get it b/c of the president has brainwashed them. Not like it is a big problem to wear one.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I think wearing a face mask after the second dose is recommended because we don't know enough about the vaccines yet.   We know that they seem to be very safe with only mild side-effects.  We know that they effectively prevent the worst/more serious cases of Covid-19 as well as mitigating the symptoms of less severe cases.    We don't know if they actually prevent us from becoming infected or if vaccine simply works on the symptoms by making them much less severe (flu vaccines frequently do this).   If the vaccine doesn't prevent a person from getting infected, there could very well be a "window" in which he or she can still spread the virus.   Therefore, the recommendation to continue wearing a mask after the second dose.

Stay tuned, though, because as more people get vaccinated recommendations may very well change.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

I think wearing a face mask after the second dose is recommended because we don't know enough about the vaccines yet.   We know that they seem to be very safe with only mild side-effects.  We know that they effectively prevent the worst/more serious cases of Covid-19 as well as mitigating the symptoms of less severe cases.    We don't know if they actually prevent us from becoming infected or if vaccine simply works on the symptoms by making them much less severe (flu vaccines frequently do this).   If the vaccine doesn't prevent a person from getting infected, there could very well be a "window" in which he or she can still spread the virus.   Therefore, the recommendation to continue wearing a mask after the second dose.

Stay tuned, though, because as more people get vaccinated recommendations may very well change.

and if nothing else for solidarity with those that haven't yet wearing a mask isn't hard and it being something a majority of people will need to do is going to go on for a while still.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, RiotAct said:

It’s all part of the deep state plan to steal the election  then “own the conservatives” followed by massive social programs, rewiring our schools to acknowledge minorities, pack the courts, smoke weed, and give amnesty and voting rights to illegals!

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, RiotAct said:

Part of it may be because it will take some time after the second injection for the body to develop a full, lasting immune response.  For instance, it may take a full 4 weeks to develop the response after taking the first dose, including the second two weeks later.

Then we don't fully know yet how long it will last.  I'm sure they'll put out a plan and explain why.

On 12/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, RiotAct said:

Just a guess, but I suspect it would be to prevent you from acting as a conduit for the transfer of the virus from one person through you to a third, person who has not received the vax. 

Covid-19 vaccine: Allergy warning over new jab

It came after two NHS workers had allergic reactions on Tuesday

The advice applies to those who have had reactions to medicines, food or vaccines, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency said.

The two people had a reaction shortly after having the new jab, had treatment and are both fine now.

They are understood to have had an anaphylactoid reaction, which tends to involve a skin rash, breathlessness and sometimes a drop in blood pressure. This is not the same as anaphylaxis which can be fatal.

Both NHS workers have a history of serious allergies and carry adrenaline pens around with them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55244122

This is for the Pfizer vaccine , I like the British word jab instead of shot for a change.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

My wife's medical system says they anticipate their first shipment on Monday and will start administering them immediately.

My younger brother drives for UPS--deliveries of vaccine to MF Suburban and Kenmore Mercy today.  May have also had deliveries from other hubs to other hospitals, but had no intel on that. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Gf has the chance to get one Monday.  Not sure she wants to take it from someone who may need it more than her. We also had it already but it’s been 7-8 months so not sure.  

Tell her to take it, her taking it won't stop someone else from getting it. 

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1