Revisting 2019 Draft - D.K. Metcalf?

On 10/9/2020 at 11:13 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

It made sense to go with Oliver when they did.

It made no sense to pass on Metcalf for Cody Ford.

Might have seen a big jump in Josh's passing LAST year had they taken DK.

Also Ford being used as a guard last summer helped push Wyatt Teller off the roster.........so there is that.

I understand people who say that is all hindsight but when you reach for needs early in the draft...........especially at positions of modest $ value like guard or even right tackle........sh*t happens.

At least he is better than Cyrus Koundjio I guess.

I was so mad when we passed on Metcalf. I was one of the few people that wanted him in round 1. He should have been the pick in round 2. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/9/2020 at 2:39 PM, Uncle Joe said:

We got this Gabe Davis kid this year. I'm good.

I'm sure that some Jets fan is complaining that the Jets didn't take Davis before we did.  Every draft choice who outperforms his draft status has fans of every team complaining that they know more than the team's GM.   

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I will say one thing that is astonishing about McBeane though.............they are incredibly lucky.

Not "residue of design" kinda' lucky.........their fortune wrt to personnel options just presenting themselves is amazing.

If you ranked QB's by their current trade value...........McBeane had the opportunity to draft 4 of the 5 most valuable players in the entire league!

Mahomes, Watson, Jackson and I think we can now put Allen in there.

They had very little margin for error.   Beane has had a bunch.  

Beane was in Carolina when Mahomes & Watson were drafted.  You act like you know more than everyone else & you don't even know who the GM was.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/9/2020 at 3:32 PM, Charles Romes said:

Let’s face it they blew it by not taking Metcalf as did all other teams save one.  Could have been the freak measurable QB teamed up with the freak measurable WR for a decade. 

Seattle passed on him twice, so they weren't exactly the geniuses that some are making them out to be.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Beane was in Carolina when Mahomes & Watson were drafted.  You act like you know more than everyone else & you don't even know who the GM was.  

I used the term "McBeane" for the obvious reason that either one or both were in charge of the Bills personnel decisions since McD was hired.

But, fwiw I am not foolish enough to believe that Beane wasn't involved in the decision making of the Bills in the 2017 offseason.     Particularly during the draft........where the Panthers were openly convinced that McDermott had Carolina's board in hand.   

They were a package deal from the outset and frankly,  only a gullible idiot would think otherwise.  :lol:

On 10/10/2020 at 3:09 AM, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

So, watching what D.K. Metcalf has done so far this season and listening to Russell Wilson, I was looking over the 2019 draft and was thinking about our picks. Metcalf went #64 - last player chosen in Round 2. We took Ed Oliver Round 1 and Cody Ford Round 2. 

Would we change anything? If we took Metcalf, probably not make the trade for Diggs? Is Metcalf more "valuable" than Oliver or Ford? Thoughts??

Oliver was the right call, without a doubt. I'd choose Metcalf over Ford in terms of talent. Not make the trade for Diggs last offseason? No, I think after Metcalf's first year you figure he's going to be good but not so good that you don't bring in Diggs if you have the chance. 

We can now see that in his second year Metcalf looks like he may be elite. With Metcalf playing the way he is now you probably figure you don't need Diggs. But last offseason I think you still make that trade. My opinion, anyway.

5 hours ago, Codyny13 said:

I wondering if it was a good idea to go with Terrell Troup over Rob Gronkowski...🤷🏼‍♂️

Probably not, but people forget that Troup was starting to look sensational till his back injury, and then he was urged to come back early from that and was never the same.

Troup was kicking butt, though. Remember that article about him, with all the quotes from Kyle Williams and people saying that in offseason workouts his second year he was just destroying people?

Edited by Thurman#1

On 10/9/2020 at 2:26 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Why do people insist on doing this, repeatedly?  What is the purpose, self flagellation?

We go to to ANY draft and see what gems we missed.  

Well said.  These types of threads are useless.

200w.webp

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I used the term "McBeane" for the obvious reason that either one or both were in charge of the Bills personnel decisions since McD was hired.

But, fwiw I am not foolish enough to believe that Beane wasn't involved in the decision making of the Bills in the 2017 offseason.     Particularly during the draft........where the Panthers were openly convinced that McDermott had Carolina's board in hand.   

They were a package deal from the outset and frankly,  only a gullible idiot would think otherwise.  :lol:

If there was any reason to believe Beane was leaking Carolina's info to the Bills during the draft there would have been an investigation and the Bills would have been slapped HARD.  Yet, you who know all has this all figured out.

Please take off the tinfoil hat.  

On 10/9/2020 at 3:36 PM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Im pretty sure teams passed on him because they were convinced he had a steroid problem. It wasnt about talent.

I’ve heard this and it wouldn’t surprise me if this was the reason he fell in the draft. It was likely because of the picture he released with his teammates where he was absolutely jacked at the gym, like scary big. His combine numbers were also absolutely ridiculous besides the 3-cone, I don’t think he fell in the draft because he had a poor 3-cone time although that has become the narrative.

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

If there was any reason to believe Beane was leaking Carolina's info to the Bills during the draft there would have been an investigation and the Bills would have been slapped HARD.  Yet, you who know all has this all figured out.

Please take off the tinfoil hat.  

Like I said........only a gullible idiot would think that McBeane weren't a package deal and that they didn't actively discuss the direction of the team that offseason.

The Panthers were upset that their draft information was compromised but the relationships in that organization were as tight as can be and they were happy for McDermott and Beane and certainly weren't going to sabotage them over some shared scouting info.   Every complex organization has secrets and Beane certainly knew all of them so retribution for that transgression likely wasn't even a consideration let alone asking the NFL for them to be "slapped HARD".

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Like I said........only a gullible idiot would think that McBeane weren't a package deal and that they didn't actively discuss the direction of the team that offseason.

The Panthers were upset that their draft information was compromised but the relationships in that organization were as tight as can be and they were happy for McDermott and Beane and certainly weren't going to sabotage them over some shared scouting info.   Every complex organization has secrets and Beane certainly knew all of them so retribution for that transgression likely wasn't even a consideration let alone asking the NFL for them to be "slapped HARD".

Yep. I absolutely believe that Jones and Dawkins were picked on the basis of Beane's intel in Carolina. Those were two positions the Panthers scouted hard that offseason and picked guys at both spots after us - Morton and Samuel. 

It is why we passed on the QBs. Nobody in Carolina had been scouting Quarterbacks that year so McDermott would have been picking blind.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. I absolutely believe that Jones and Dawkins were picked on the basis of Beane's intel in Carolina. Those were two positions the Panthers scouted hard that offseason and picked guys at both spots after us - Morton and Samuel. 

It is why we passed on the QBs. Nobody in Carolina had been scouting Quarterbacks that year so McDermott would have been picking blind.

What was hilarious was the selling and subsequent buying of the excuse that "the Bills just didn't have enough time to evaluate QB's" that offseason.:lol:

Whaley wasn't a good GM but it wasn't for a lack of effort from he and his staff wrt college scouting.

I've literally never heard another organization even attempt to make that ridiculous excuse for passing on a QB before..........it was just that McD didn't trust the evaluation work the Bills staff had done from June to January.   If anything Jan-May is far too much time to finish the evaluation of every prospect.

The other great sell was the theory that the Pegula Bills were ahead of the curve waiting to hire their new GM in May......and that a lot of teams were going to start doing that.🙄

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What was hilarious was the selling and subsequent buying of the excuse that "the Bills just didn't have enough time to evaluate QB's" that offseason.:lol:

Whaley wasn't a good GM but it wasn't for a lack of effort from he and his staff wrt college scouting.

I've literally never heard another organization even attempt to make that ridiculous excuse for passing on a QB before..........it was just that McD didn't trust the evaluation work the Bills staff had done from June to January.   If anything Jan-May is far too much time to finish the evaluation of every prospect.

The other great sell was the theory that the Pegula Bills were ahead of the curve waiting to hire their new GM in May......and that a lot of teams were going to start doing that.🙄

Yea Whaley had a QB board it was just McDermott didn't have any faith in it. I think there was some element of strategy as well in the sense that they knew 2018 was supposed to be a stacked class but mainly he just wanted his own guy he trusted making the pick.

As for firings after the draft... there have been a few after ours - Kansas City, Houston, Jets although in very different circumstances. But has become slightly more common.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea Whaley had a QB board it was just McDermott didn't have any faith in it. I think there was some element of strategy as well in the sense that they knew 2018 was supposed to be a stacked class but mainly he just wanted his own guy he trusted making the pick.

As for firings after the draft... there have been a few after ours - Kansas City, Houston, Jets although in very different circumstances. But has become slightly more common.

Oh firing scouting staffs and changing your GM from within after the draft isn't uncommon at all.  That kind of succession happens a lot.

Hiring a new coach in January and then waiting to bring in HIS general manager from another organization right after the draft is not.   That was being sold as 3D chess and really it's just something you'd expect the Jets to do..........but of course not until the incumbent GM spent a bunch of money on players the coach didn't want.:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh firing scouting staffs and changing your GM from within after the draft isn't uncommon at all.  That kind of succession happens a lot.

Hiring a new coach in January and then waiting to bring in HIS general manager from another organization right after the draft is not.   That was being sold as 3D chess and really it's just something you'd expect the Jets to do..........but of course not until the incumbent GM spent a bunch of money on players the coach didn't want.:lol:

Yea at least the Bills took the power off Whaley first. The Jets let Maccagnan run free agency first. That was utterly nuts.