McD figured out the old saying "The Best Defense is a Good Offense"

Took a while, and yep turning the corner on him and like many here trying to temper my excitement.

Outside Oldmanfan and a few others, I'm wondering who else misses those 17-13 games and the offense going into "Prevent Offense" after halftime?

It was that Pittsburgh game and Duck Hodges that really exasperated me last year, and hope those days are behind the Bills.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Haha (+1) 1

McDermott coaches to his talent. He is one of the best Head Coaches in the NFL outside the obvious big name Superbowl winners - Belichick, Reid, Payton, Harbaugh, Carroll. He will want to get some of the issues ironed out on defense and I'm sure he will, but he has always won games the way his talent allows him to.

• Like (+1) 9

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott coaches to his talent. He is one of the best Head Coaches in the NFL outside the obvious big name Superbowl winners - Belichick, Reid, Payton, Harbaugh, Carroll. He will want to get some of the issues ironed out on defense and I'm sure he will, but he has always won games the way his talent allows him to.

For the most part I agree, but he took it a little to far on occasion, but that is jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

Just now, Don Otreply said:

For the most part I agree, but he took it a little to far on occasion, but that is jmo. 

Go Bills!!!

The only games I think McDermott has really cost us as a Head Coach (other than those where Peterman played, which you might argue he cost us as the guy with final personnel say rather than coaching) are games he cost us by being too aggressive and letting Daboll and Josh keep throwing. Whether that was the Baltimore game where they kept exposing Josh to blitzes that he was struggling to anticipate and diagnose or the Houston playoff game where some here wish they'd run to win more in the second half. Personally I think both of those were good decisions because nothing mattered more than the development of Josh Allen to the point where we entered a Superbowl window. They have judged the development arch perfectly in my opinion.... even if that cost them a win or two along the way.

• Like (+1) 2

To be honest the Bills are still not running the right offense to compliment the defense. 

This current Buffalo Bills fast, high scoring passing offense is exactly what hurts the defense as they now need to spend more time on the field. 

The Bills would be better off with that same high powered offense but also with a ground and pound run game to eat the clock when needed. Add that Titans run game to the Bills offense and it would truly be perfect.

When they face  a team like the Ravens who had Josh Allen under constant pressure all game last season by blitzing 50-65%. The Bills could start by pounding the ball and wearing them out and then open up that high scoring passing attack. JMO

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The only games I think McDermott has really cost us as a Head Coach (other than those where Peterman played, which you might argue he cost us as the guy with final personnel say rather than coaching) are games he cost us by being too aggressive and letting Daboll and Josh keep throwing. Whether that was the Baltimore game where they kept exposing Josh to blitzes that he was struggling to anticipate and diagnose or the Houston playoff game where some here wish they'd run to win more in the second half. Personally I think both of those were good decisions because nothing mattered more than the development of Josh Allen to the point where we entered a Superbowl window. They have judged the development arch perfectly in my opinion.... even if that cost them a win or two along the way.

I’m not adamant about saying he did this or that wrong, just that on occasion he played more conservative than was warranted, and Josh’s progress as a quarterback has been frankly, fantastic, but that is painfully obvious imo. 

Go Bills!!!

Clicked on this thread from the home screen to see who wrote it and was not shocked at the submitter. It's almost clockwork at this point.

To your question about who misses those types of games, I do to an extent. Unlike what you've continually tried to press on this board about only caring about a high octane offense I care more about the Bills winning even if it's ugly. At least during a 17-13 win I wasn't worried about our Defense getting walked all over regardless of if Defenses are down across the league. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

30 Rock Yes GIF by ADWEEK - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha (+1) 1

for the love of god get over it.  we have a 48 year old man, (i'm assuming) who only likes winning if the qb passes for over 300 yards.

remember, the op said he'd rather be entertained by a high scoring game than a win.  that was said.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly think 1972 billieves that McDermott was just sitting and his desk, drinking his coffee and it just hit him then that if we score 30 ppg rather than 19 ppg....we win more games.  

Like a similar reaction when Miles discovered how to use his Spiderman powers on command.

he definitely woke up at 3 in the morning thinking, "you know what...let's start scoring more points".  

Bam.  more points.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Why couldn't he have this revelation 3 years ago?   We probably would have won a Super Bowl by now.

it probably took a lot of pressure from the fans and media.  after a while who wants to hear it?

52 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

To be honest the Bills are still not running the right offense to compliment the defense. 

This current Buffalo Bills fast, high scoring passing offense is exactly what hurts the defense as they now need to spend more time on the field. 

The Bills would be better off with that same high powered offense but also with a ground and pound run game to eat the clock when needed. Add that Titans run game to the Bills offense and it would truly be perfect.

When they face  a team like the Ravens who had Josh Allen under constant pressure all game last season by blitzing 50-65%. The Bills could start by pounding the ball and wearing them out and then open up that high scoring passing attack. JMO

I think the exact opposite, getting out and scoring points and taking leads usually leads to teams passing more, which plays into the strength of our defense, our pass defense.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

39 minutes ago, teef said:

for the love of god get over it.  we have a 48 year old man, (i'm assuming) who only likes winning if the qb passes for over 300 yards.

remember, the op said he'd rather be entertained by a high scoring game than a win.  that was said.

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I honestly think 1972 billieves that McDermott was just sitting and his desk, drinking his coffee and it just hit him then that if we score 30 ppg rather than 19 ppg....we win more games.  

Like a similar reaction when Miles discovered how to use his Spiderman powers on command.

OP at his computer trying to make sense of what Gunner just said....

Image result for Zoolander Computer

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Took a while, and yep turning the corner on him and like many here trying to temper my excitement.

Outside Oldmanfan and a few others, I'm wondering who else misses those 17-13 games and the offense going into "Prevent Offense" after halftime?

It was that Pittsburgh game and Duck Hodges that really exasperated me last year, and hope those days are behind the Bills.

Remind me, did he wait till this year to draft Josh Allen?

Yeah, he figured it out ...

Probably around the year 2000 or so.

The reason we have offense now is because they've been working on it like crazy men since they got here. And Allen finally hit the tipping point. And of course, they've been working on the defense like crazy too. Because you've got to be good on both sides. Because the best offense is also a good defense. That works both ways.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes.

Edited by Thurman#1

Nobody hates the offense being great. But it would be nice if the defense could make some stops. I do think they will figure it out as the season goes on but in the playoffs points can be tough to come by and the d needs to slow the opponent down. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Nobody hates the offense being great. But it would be nice if the defense could make some stops. I do think they will figure it out as the season goes on but in the playoffs points can be tough to come by and the d needs to slow the opponent down. 

It does. But the Chiefs showed again last year what is almost more important is to have a D that takes the ball away. The encouraging thing about the 2nd half on Sunday was that while we still weren't a great 3rd down defense (and that definitely needs work) we made a 4th down stop for a turnover on downs and forced a fumble. When you have an explosive offense the main thing your D needs to do is steal it extra possessions.

• Like (+1) 5