Ok, how about something positive......

Name your favorite President from Washington to Obama. This is a favorites only, please no trolling or name calling. It's been a tough few days here and I'm hoping we can have a positive, friendly debate. Everyone is welcome. I'll start first and have a brief explanation why.

Favorite President,

I narrowed it down to three between the father of our ciuntry George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and John Adams. I think all three were not only great leaders but great men as well. I'm going to go with Lincoln, I have read many books on all three but Lincoln in my humble opinion was a man of great character and strength and showed real leadership during the lowest point in our country.

I would love to hear yours.....

Edit: I exclude Trump because he has yet to finish his presidency and for other obvious reasons.

Edited by westside2

Thomas Jefferson:

1. We share the same birthday

2.  Principal author of the Declaration of Independence

3.  Minister to France

4.  Our first SOS

5. Louisiana Purchase and the western expansion via the Lewis and Clark Expedition

6. A great oenophile (Jefferson on Wine is a great read)

7. Sold his personal library to the Library of Congress after the British burned it to the ground during the War of 1812

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, westside2 said:

Name your favorite President from Washington to Obama. This is a favorites only, please no trolling or name calling. It's been a tough few days here and I'm hoping we can have a positive, friendly debate. Everyone is welcome. I'll start first and have a brief explanation why.

Favorite President,

I narrowed it down to three between the father of our ciuntry George Washington, Abraham Lincoln and John Adams. I think all three were not only great leaders but great men as well. I'm going to go with Lincoln, I have read many books on all three but Lincoln in my humble opinion was a man of great character and strength and showed real leadership during the lowest point in our country.

I would love to hear yours.....

Edit: I exclude Trump because he has yet to finish his presidency and for other obvious reasons.

Teddy Roosevelt.  Because he took a bullet in the chest, not only didn't die from it but gave a speech before seeking medical assistance.  And no one simultaneously accused him of faking it, screamed he was endangering those around him, and complained about him not dying from it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Thomas Jefferson:

1. We share the same birthday

2.  Principal author of the Declaration of Independence

3.  Minister to France

4.  Our first SOS

5. Louisiana Purchase and the western expansion via the Lewis and Clark Expedition

6. A great oenophile (Jefferson on Wine is a great read)

7. Sold his personal library to the Library of Congress after the British burned it to the ground during the War of 1812

You lost me at #7. He should have donated it if he were a true patriot. 

I'm not overly honed in on Presidential history so just some thoughts: 

- Reagen is obvious. 

- Grover Cleveland is amazing just cause of the separate terms thing. (literally only that reason)

- Teddy is the man. (literally - he might be in the dictionary under "man")

- Part of me feels like the guy who didn't wear a coat and died should get some love... You know there was some idiot chief of staff telling him he needed to project strength by not wearing a coat. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I'm not overly honed in on Presidential history so just some thoughts: 

- Reagen is obvious. 

- Grover Cleveland is amazing just cause of the separate terms thing. (literally only that reason)

- Teddy is the man. (literally - he might be in the dictionary under "man")

- Part of me feels like the guy who didn't wear a coat and died should get some love... You know there was some idiot chief of staff telling him he needed to project strength by not wearing a coat. 

Grover Cleveland also only allowed beer made in Buffalo in the White House 

Also that guy was William Henry Harrison

Edited by Bray Wyatt
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, snafu said:

You lost me at #7. He should have donated it if he were a true patriot. 

He was essentially broke at the time.  To give up his beloved book collection, even for money, was likely incredibly difficult to do. But I get what you’re saying. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Grover Cleveland also only allowed beer made in Buffalo in the White House 

Also that guy was William Henry Harrison

Speaking of William Harrison I have a story.  One of our favorite wineries in Napa (we were more Sonoma people when we lived there) is William Harrison.  Good wine but just a nice quiet winery in the valley floor off of Silverado.  Anyway we had a friend over with his girlfriend. I open the door and she hands me a bottle of wine. William Harrison. I said “hey that’s one of our favorite wineries!”   She says “oh...that’s my dad!”   Well come on in. It’s very nice to meet you!!  😍

• Awesome! (+1) 2

James Polk

There's no 50-state United States without him and he kept his promise to serve just one term.  One of the most impactful Presidents we've had.    I think his accomplishments don't get the attention they deserve because he was a slave owner and he was just an average guy, born into no real wealth or colorful history, that just got ***** done.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Thank you (+1) 1

John Adams... very underrated.  Really liked the Biography I read that showed his adversarial friendship with Jefferson and Franklin.

I also have a ton of respect for Truman.  Guts enough to drop the bomb not once but twice saving untold lives (millions probably).  Didn't trust Stalin.

Growing up I liked Nixon and still do despite his obvious failures.  He forced North Vietnam to the negotiating table and probably stopped short with the bombing of NV as they were on the brink of collapse.

Reagan was a modern day conservative champion that brought the country back from the brink of the Carter depression and raised our international standing but got mired in secret wars that tarnished his presidency.  I credit him with the collapse of the soviet bloc which was huge.

ETA:  Lincoln.  He freed the slaves.  United a divided country.  But at the expense of freedom of the press.  Jailed a lot of journalists that dared to write stories that offended him.

Edited by bdutton
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bdutton said:

John Adams... very underrated.  Really liked the Biography I read that showed his adversarial friendship with Jefferson and Franklin.

I also have a ton of respect for Truman.  Guts enough to drop the bomb not once but twice saving untold lives (millions probably).  Didn't trust Stalin.

Growing up I liked Nixon and still do despite his obvious failures.  He forced North Vietnam to the negotiating table and probably stopped short with the bombing of NV as they were on the brink of collapse.

Reagan was a modern day conservative champion that brought the country back from the brink of the Carter depression and raised our international standing but got mired in secret wars that tarnished his presidency.  I credit him with the collapse of the soviet bloc which was huge.

ETA:  Lincoln.  He freed the slaves.  United a divided country.  But at the expense of freedom of the press.  Jailed a lot of journalists that dared to write stories that offended him.

My Thomas Jefferson against your John Adams.  Bring it!  

• Haha (+1) 1