Around the corner; Roster and Practice Squad Info

Sat Sept 5 - 4 PM - the cut-down to 53 and then more info about 2020 rosters and practice squad...impress your friends and relatives with info relevant only to Labor Day weekend

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-roster-cuts-2020-deadline-date-rules-practice-squad/1kbnkoxzeysq18zd404lpqk3j#:~:text=NFL teams are free to,on the active%2Finactive list.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Going to be a LOT of transactions in the next two weeks, to bad our roster depth for once is decent and there may not be many we pick up.  Wonder if Fromm is going to make the 53 or risk losing him on the practice squad.

I wonder how valuable he, Fromm would actually be given there is no film, reporters were not allowed to really say a whole lot either?  Seems to me the poaching is going to be for proven vets, not low round draft picks.....just my opinion.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

I wonder how valuable he, Fromm would actually be given there is no film, reporters were not allowed to really say a whole lot either?  Seems to me the poaching is going to be for proven vets, not low round draft picks.....just my opinion.

I was thinking this except....Belichick. He would poach a player he planned to draft.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

You could be right, going to be an interesting year.  I for one have next so zero idea/inclination of how he has been doing. 

Also eager to see if we keep our drafted WRs on the 53 or PS, supposedly they have been doing well.  

Just now, fansince88 said:

I was thinking this except....Belichick. He would poach a player he planned to draft.

Yeah that pesky Billacheat.....kinda forgot about him.  Will be an interesting year for ole Bill tho.....his star QB gone - a bunch of starters sitting out - the whole Cam thingy.  Yeah gonna be interesting.  Not writing them off tho.....but not expecting much either.

2 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Gotta feel like rosen still has more value than a Fromm.  Indy might have to keep 3 to keep eason, who also probably has more value than Fromm.  I think NE has 3 guys they feel good about - with limited snaps mid-season for backups its tough to bring someone in.  You also have to bring them into your active roster with no practices, so you basically have to keep 3.  

Fromm seems likely to hit the PS imo.  If they dont do it week 1 its probably because the Jets QB situation isn't particularly strong with Flacco on the PUP and they could probably fit him in for a week (pay him for 3) just to get an advantage week 1.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

Hard to predict the final 53.  I'm expecting Beane to go shopping for draft picks with his excess o-line guys.  Eagles just lost their second o-line starter for the season.  Other teams have lost some to injury and other teams are really lacking depth.  If he makes a trade, it could allow him to keep guys on the 53 that we are now expecting to go to PS or be lost when exposed to waivers.  It's going to be one of the more interesting cut downs that we've experienced with the Bills in a number of years.  I guess that's all part of having a decent team.  I also believe that there will be some IR stashes made.  As an example, Sweeney ( mystery foot injury ) could be stashed to get through this year of Kroft's contract.  There could be others.

One thing for sure is that Beane will do his due diligence to optimize the roster and protect the most talent.

2 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Bellichick* could only poach him to put him on the Roster. I can't imagine a team, including the Pats*,  poaching a backup QB to their 53 for the purpose of development-- not this year. Poaching will be done on a need basis, and if any team feels like they need Fromm, then they (and the league, for that matter) are in trouble.

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

Gotta feel like rosen still has more value than a Fromm.  Indy might have to keep 3 to keep eason, who also probably has more value than Fromm.  I think NE has 3 guys they feel good about - with limited snaps mid-season for backups its tough to bring someone in.  You also have to bring them into your active roster with no practices, so you basically have to keep 3.  

Fromm seems likely to hit the PS imo.  If they dont do it week 1 its probably because the Jets QB situation isn't particularly strong with Flacco on the PUP and they could probably fit him in for a week (pay him for 3) just to get an advantage week 1.

I dont know about that, I would rather take a flyer on Fromm than a 2 year failure of J Rosen.

1 hour ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Hard to predict the final 53.  I'm expecting Beane to go shopping for draft picks with his excess o-line guys.  Eagles just lost their second o-line starter for the season.  Other teams have lost some to injury and other teams are really lacking depth.  If he makes a trade, it could allow him to keep guys on the 53 that we are now expecting to go to PS or be lost when exposed to waivers.  It's going to be one of the more interesting cut downs that we've experienced with the Bills in a number of years.  I guess that's all part of having a decent team.  I also believe that there will be some IR stashes made.  As an example, Sweeney ( mystery foot injury ) could be stashed to get through this year of Kroft's contract.  There could be others.

One thing for sure is that Beane will do his due diligence to optimize the roster and protect the most talent.

That option is becoming a high probability.

2 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

Bellichick* could only poach him to put him on the Roster. I can't imagine a team, including the Pats*,  poaching a backup QB to their 53 for the purpose of development-- not this year. Poaching will be done on a need basis, and if any team feels like they need Fromm, then they (and the league, for that matter) are in trouble.

Not this year? Dont be fooled. Bill would give up this year if he knew he had the QB of the future if the rumors are true and he coveted him.

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

Not this year? Dont be fooled. Bill would give up this year if he knew he had the QB of the future if the rumors are true and he coveted him.

QB of the future? Fromm was taken by Buffalo, 167th in round 5. In that same round, with the 159th pick, NE* took placekicker Justin Rohrwasser, who currently seems to be behind Nick Folk in what Bellichick* has described as "an open kicking competition."

So, do you think Bellichick* coveted his placekicker of the future over his QB of the future? I don't buy it. If Bellichick* valued him highly enough to "give up this year," he would have drafted him.

And, I just don't see any team poaching a rookie, with zero NFL game-tape, from another PS this season for anything other than immediate need. 53-man roster spots are too valuable to risk on rookies, of whom so little is known. There are 31 teams in the league who know just as much about Fromm now, as they did when he was drafted.

Edited by Rocky Landing
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

QB of the future? Fromm was taken by Buffalo, 167th in round 5. In that same round, with the 159th pick, NE* took placekicker Justin Rohrwasser, who currently seems to be behind Nick Folk in what Bellichick* has described as "an open kicking competition."

So, do you think Bellichick* coveted his placekicker of the future over his QB of the future? I don't buy it. If Bellichick* valued him highly enough to "give up this year," he would have drafted him.

And, I just don't see any team poaching a rookie, with zero NFL game-tape, from another PS this season for anything other than immediate need. 53-man roster spots are too valuable to risk on rookies, of whom so little is known. There are 31 teams in the league who know just as much about Fromm now, as they did when he was drafted.

There was talk at the time of the draft that Bills swept in ahead of Pats plan to draft him. That is my thought. When you font expect to have a great season picking up a draft pick like that is like picking up a free draft pick.