The Odds of Dying from COVID-19

15 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sure we need to be concerned and take necessary measures ( I do at age 67), but I have a guy in our office who is WAY over the top.....shame that he lives his life in such paranoia at age 35...says "people my age have strokes because of Covid-19".......drives to work daily as sole vehicle occupant wearing mask.....with 30 folks in our 12,000 sq ft office, it is 400 sq ft per person, well within social distancing guidelines and at least 6 sanitizing stations set up...office cubicles are 120 sq ft.....yet he sits at his desk 8 hours a day wearing a mask.....goes outside on breaks for a smoke and distances himself from colleagues by 12' OUTSIDE.....opens all doors with his knee or elbow.....girlfriend's job allows working remotely...she has not been outside their apartment since MARCH.....cannot imagine living under such paranoia, but "to each his own" I guess.....

Smoking causes strokes, too.  Maybe he should know that. You should tell him. 

19 minutes ago, TBBills said:

See another person that decides to make it side vs side, saying Liberals in a topic that shouldnt be about politics. Here comes the stupidity from PPP waking up in the morning.

TALK ABOUT THE VIRUS NOT THE POLITICS!

YOu try to talk about something that has nothing to do with democrats or republicans and yet some lunatic tries to make it into that. Which is why posting this thread with in here shows the OP knew what he was saying is wrong.

So now I'm a lunatic and stupid for posting a fact that kids have an extremely low risk of dying, got it.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....there has been, is and will always be the combative, non-compliance segment of society......Big bawls, bravado, "it ain't gonna get me", if the government says so I do the opposite" et al.....that segment, a/k/a the Anti Crowd" , has, does and will forever continue to exist period.....what's worse is that those in that segment who contract Covid-19 and recover say, "see, no big deal...I'm fine........no worse than a bad cold or the flu" yada yada.....you'll never fix that IMO.....

I know but it gets magnified by our president who is also in the extremist catagory. Which creates what you see now instead of people coming together to find a solution.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, snafu said:

...forget it.....in HIS mind, Covid-19 is THE killer......smoking so far has spared him....FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a smoker, reluctantly but do not fear Covid-19 at age 67, following precautionary measures.....criticizing HIS smoking makes me a hypocrite.......

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Ok go ahead and show me the literature and lets do this. Show me the literature that shows no long term effects of the virus. 

Ah! You’re proposing a long term CLINICAL TRIAL!  
Let’s keep the entire world in lock down mode until we can absolutely, positively prove without any doubt whatsoever that it’s okay to recover from The Wuhan virus and live a normal life. That should only take thirty or forty years. Can’t wait to see the results. 

Oh, and stop with the ad hominem attacks. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

I know but it gets magnified by our president who is also in the extremist catagory. Which creates what you see now instead of people coming together to find a solution.

.leave politics out of it.....if not, I'll bow out of the conversation............

3 minutes ago, snafu said:

Still need to remember the difference between human choice and a virus that doesn't care about your choice. You can stop a virus but you cannot stop humans choosing to smoke.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

Here we go again. What about all the long term effects, heart problems, brain damage, organ problems. You do know Covid affects the whole body and not just the lungs, right?

Their is a reason you posted this here b/c you know it's a stupid thing to post and this is the only  sub-forum where people can post stupid topics, fact.

Aaaaand your point?  

6 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Let’s keep the entire world in lock down mode until we can absolutely, positively prove without any doubt whatsoever that it’s okay to recover from The Wuhan virus and live a normal life. That should only take thirty or forty years. Can’t wait to see the results. 

See extremist look at what other people are talking about. Please let us who are actually trying to find middle ground talk in this thread instead of ruining it with "OMG he said one thing it must mean the whole world needs to remain in lockdown" Good to see idiots like this guy will always bring a conversation down. This is why you cannot talk about this in PPP with any progress.

You guys want to have a real talk about this than you need to take it out of PPP b/c if not you just get people like this making everything worse.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TBBills said:

See extremist look at what other people are talking about. Please let us who are actually trying to find middle ground talk in this thread instead of ruining it with "OMG he said one thing it must mean the whole world needs to remain in lockdown" Good to see idiots like this guy will always bring a conversation down. This is why you cannot talk about this in PPP with any progress.

I said stop with the ad hominem attacks. 

Your premise is absurd and you write like an emotional basket case. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, TBBills said:

See now you make up lies and attack people for no reason other than you were shown to be stupid with what you said. 

It's sad you would do things like that but that is the world we live in now. When you don't like someone making you look bad just lie and try to slander them.

You are disgusting at a human being to even say something like that.

Ok go ahead and show me the literature and lets do this. Show me the literature that shows no long term effects of the virus. 

I will go ahead and link you to an actually fact and information thread on this virus for anything you might have problems with so you can see actual people who specialize in virus and disease. See how that thread doesn't have to hide in PPP b/c it isn't crazy or misinformation. 

I won't show you that because there are indeed expected long term consequences with this virus. Now please show me the literature that describes how many of these very same long term effects aren't observed with influenza.

I've been in that thread, maybe you should check out the very first post in it and the link that I provided there. If you dig even further you might even find where I discuss my experience as a virologist.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Nanker said:

...certainly agree.....what other similar, albeit lesser or greater pandemics have we survived?.....could care less about political party in power.....that's just "convenience" in an election year......certainly acknowledge those who have passed because of these occurrences.....should I NOT acknowledge those that pass annually because of heart disease, cancer, accidents, murders et al?.....Covid-19 is probably the worst pandemic since 1917 and required a reactionary response because of lack of national preparedness....who knew the depth, extent or exponential explosion of its affects.....BUT...."never let a good crisis go to waste" politically......eff a unified attack and solution....and as expected, the PPP Petulants jumped on the bandwagon......yet ask them who would be "their guy in charge" or stripping away the value of five months' hindsight as to what their Plan would entail, and all you get is "crickets"..OR...more appropriately "attacks versus proposals".....I like it because it clearly identifies the PPP posting frauds to steer clear of....politics governs everything...screw the country.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Still need to remember the difference between human choice and a virus that doesn't care about your choice. You can stop a virus but you cannot stop humans choosing to smoke.

Unfortunately, the only way to stop a virus is to restrict peoples’ choices. The severity of the restriction should the question. Do you think a population of 330 million people are all going to agree about this?

The virus was dramatically more deadly in March and April when few jurisdictions were taking precautionary measures to avoid the spread.  Then lockdown happened and upon re-opening, the death rate is much lower than it was with no precautions.  I don’t know of anyone who thinks that there needs to be zero infections before life can go back to normal. The virus is here and it isn’t going away.  As long as people take nominal precautions, life should go on.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...forget it.....in HIS mind, Covid-19 is THE killer......smoking so far has spared him....FULL DISCLOSURE: I am a smoker, reluctantly but do not fear Covid-19 at age 67, following precautionary measures.....criticizing HIS smoking makes me a hypocrite.......

I'll be 68 in a month but fear nothing anymore because I firmly believe when it's my time, nothing can stop or change it. I quit smoking years ago, not for any reason other then the wife told me to stop. I do take precautions but nothing that I don't do during flu season. I won't stop living, bottom line, till it's my time to hit that rainbow bridge

On 8/22/2020 at 11:38 PM, RocCityRoller said:

Everyone dies.

The government can't fix it, and we don't shut down society for any of the below causes:

let me know how you would feel when a LOVED one dies from a virus mainly because Don calls it a hoax and many of his base refuse to believe in the seriousness of it

it won’t go away miraculously while Don and Jarred run the task force 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

let me know how you would feel when a LOVED one dies from a virus mainly because Don calls it a hoax and many Olin his base refuse to believe in the seriousness of it

it won’t go away miraculously while Don and Jarred run the task force 

So we should shut down the country, and not leave the house till the virus disappears? That's what Biden wants to do. Feel free to do so, but some of us want to just live our lives as normal as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

Virtually zero.  0.25 to 0.5 skewed heavily to over 80.  

Why anyone is still afraid of this is beyond me.  I truly feel sorry for you.  

Turn off the CNN death tracker.  

Why we are quarantining professional athletes when they test positive is possibly the dumbest thing in the history of mankind.  Did they quarantine Babe Ruth's teammates after he got Spanish Flu.....TWICE.  

Again, why we still react to this thing like we did in February is pretty sad.  Unless you feel like it's really just because you have an election to win.

Are people going to die?  Sure.  That isn't enough to set policy for the entire population of a State or nation over a virus that is not doing what we feared by forcing businesses, churches, schools, and stop large gatherings (unless you protest for the "right reason") to be 6 feet apart or mandate absolutely worthless masks.  Period.  

One of my favorite things to do during Yankee games is point out how many times guys are grabbing at the outside of their masks then proceed to high five each other, throw the ball to each other, etc.

We are not only peak stupid but also peak coward.

If you don't want to get sick stay home and avoid people.  Get everything delivered to you.  Don't cry when the NFL lets fans into games.  And don't complain that the rest of us our living our lives.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

I'll be 68 in a month but fear nothing anymore because I firmly believe when it's my time, nothing can stop or change it. I quit smoking years ago, not for any reason other then the wife told me to stop. I do take precautions but nothing that I don't do during flu season. I won't stop living, bottom line, till it's my time to hit that rainbow bridge

...and you are in a state (FL) that purportedly has done everything WRONG.....go figure.......SMH.......

• Like (+1) 1

For those of you at home...

The score is

Most people are for facts (not fear), truth (not guessing) and a holistic view on what COVID has taught us vs a non-organic view based off what the media is trying to teach us.  

TBBillsfan & Slimshady still feel the potential worst is or might possibly be out there maybe, could be and Might be.  Because of the unknown, we should lock it down, vote exclusively by mail and also, it’s all Trump’s fault.  Oh and if you don’t agree, you’re either an extremist or fascist depending on the term most used that day by CNN, because “narratives”.  

• Thank you (+1) 3