Horrible Harry...the forgotten man?

The one guy that I feel like nobody is talking about these days is Harrison Phillips.  I was watching some highlights of the 2019 Buffalo Bills defense on YouTube yesterday and he really stood out to me in the games he was featured in before he got injured.  He was playing some very STOUT football.  If he can recover 100% from the injury I think he is an upgrade over Star at this stage in each of their careers.  Horrible Harry and Oliver should make a solid tag team with each of them bringing different aspects to the defensive front.

Edited by BillsPride12
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Nobody is talking about him because he hasn’t been in pads since suffering the injury, and you just can’t predict how well or quickly he will get back to form. Nobody has “forgotten” him, that’s for sure. 

• Like (+1) 7

I really think he was a long shot to even make the team before Star opted out, given how many DT's they've got. I think his chance to make the team is drastically improved now, but I just don't think he's been anything special so far. Kyle took a few years to get going, so there's still hope, but its far form a sure thing. They did just sign two more today, so they obviously aren't satisfied with what they have at the position.

7 minutes ago, eball said:

Nobody is talking about him because he hasn’t been in pads since suffering the injury, and you just can’t predict how well or quickly he will get back to form. Nobody has “forgotten” him, that’s for sure. 

I would not be surprised if he came back and played as he did before. Equally I would not be surprised if he is a shadow of the same guy and fails to make or stay on the roster. For me all possibilities are open with Harrison.

21 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I really think he was a long shot to even make the team before Star opted out, given how many DT's they've got. I think his chance to make the team is drastically improved now, but I just don't think he's been anything special so far. Kyle took a few years to get going, so there's still hope, but its far form a sure thing. They did just sign two more today, so they obviously aren't satisfied with what they have at the position.

What are you talking about?  He was playing very well and was arguably our best DT last year before getting hurt.  I’m convinced you don’t watch the games or are just always trying to stir the pot on every topic for your own amusement.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What are you talking about?  He was playing very well and was arguably our best DT last year before getting hurt.  I’m convinced you don’t watch the games or are just always trying to stir the pot on every topic for your own amusement.  

Our best DT through 2 games played with 3 combined tackles and a half sack? Ok man. Maybe go be offended somewhere else. This is a dumb hill to die on.

Are you thinking of Jordan Phillips?

Edited by BullBuchanan

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would not be surprised if he came back and played as he did before. Equally I would not be surprised if he is a shadow of the same guy and fails to make or stay on the roster. For me all possibilities are open with Harrison.

That’s a mighty precarious limb you’ve crawled out on. Are you, per chance, French?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7

29 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Our best DT through 2 games played with 3 combined tackles and a half sack? Ok man. Maybe go be offended somewhere else. This is a dumb hill to die on.

Are you thinking of Jordan Phillips?

Oh yes, the old I don't really know football so I just quote stat sheets reply.  Got it.  Try watching him play instead of reading stat sheets.  Football is analyzed on game tape, not stat sheets...especially with a DT whose impact is not always felt on the stat sheet.  He also had 2 pass defended too that you left out by the way.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh yes, the old I don't really know football so I just quote stat sheets reply.  Got it.  Try watching him play instead of reading stat sheets.  Football is analyzed on game tape, not stat sheets...especially with a DT whose impact is not always felt on the stat sheet.  He also had 2 pass defended too that you left out by the way.  

How about that he ranked no higher than 3rd on DT snap counts during that time?

I fail to see how it's controversial to suggest that a fringe player is a fringe player on a team that's been extremely aggressive at getting more bodies at the position. Once again, he's going to be no higher than 3rd on the depth chart. The fact that Star opted out saved that from being 4th as a best-case. I'm rooting for the kid, but it isn't some bananas theory that he could not make the team.

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That guy's opinion became invalid to me the second he started talking about how many sacks he got :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

Put it this way: he had to show that he was back to how he looked in 2019 before getting injured.  If he looked like he was back, he wasn't a long shot at all.  If he wasn't, they PS him and give him another year to recover.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I fail to see how it's controversial to suggest that a fringe player is a fringe player on a team that's been extremely aggressive at getting more bodies at the position. Once again, he's going to be no higher than 3rd on the depth chart. The fact that Star opted out saved that from being 4th as a best-case. I'm rooting for the kid, but it isn't some bananas theory that he could not make the team.

Good Lord he was part of the rotation the the Bills use, hardly was a fringe player before the injury

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I think when you originally posted you used the phrase "long shot to make the team".

Most Bills fans (me included) think that was a little far fetched.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Good Lord he was part of the rotation the the Bills use, hardly was a fringe player before the injury

And it's impossible that if Star Lotulelei hadn't opted out the rotation this year could've been something like : Loutlelei - Oliver - Butler - Taylor - Jefferson?

6 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think when you originally posted you used the phrase "long shot to make the team".

Most Bills fans (me included) think that was a little far fetched.

I said that in the context of Star Lotulelei still being active. Vernon Butler signed a big contract coming here and was going to be no further down the depth chart than 3rd behind Star and Oliver. That would leave Phillips/Taylor/Jefferson fighting for 1-2 spots. You don't think fighting for 4th/5th DT position makes someone a longshot as a former 3rd round pick?

Edited by BullBuchanan

1 hour ago, BullBuchanan said:

They would have cut Star before Phillips. He is our best 1Tech and is a lock.

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1