Ed Oliver interview - NFL put him in the drug program?

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

@HamSandwhich, my question to you is: how do you know how common it is to have "nothing escalate" when being stopped by a police officer? 

How do you tell whether it's systemic or not?

You believe it isn't.  Others believe it is, because their experience and that of their friends support that belief.

What actually happens to an officer when a complaint is made and found justified by an internal police review board (which is how citizen complaints are usually handled)?

No, because there are not videos everywhere showing these happening daily. I know because there are scant videos only showing a narrative and only showing the parts that are the pinnacle of the altercation and nothing else. That shows the bias, to cause people to see it the way they want you to and to illicit visceral feelings people fall for all of the time rather than take a step back and think rationally before judging. 

You can also look at hard statistics that are put out there by the DOJ in regards to killings at the hands of police or those who are more likely to commit violent crimes, etc. The fact that there are only a handful of videos vs millions of stops over a decade says that the large amount of stops are uneventful and go just fine. It’s also common sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

That's not his agent's responsibility--it's on Oliver to secure an exemption from the league.  He knows the rules.  The league makes it incumbent on the players to get one.  

His agent gets him his money--he's not a nanny or a parent for grown man.

Unless his agent is new to the business, he should at least know what meds Oliver is on and make sure he's in compliance with the NFL.  Ultimately it falls on Oliver but a good agent should be on top of it.  They're more nannies than you think.

But in any case, I don't see how he can still be in the program if he tested negative for everything.  I suspect he was talking about initially being put in it after getting arrested.

Edited by Doc

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

Unless his agent is new to the business, he should at least know what meds Oliver is on and make sure he's in compliance with the NFL.  Ultimately it falls on Oliver but a good agent should be on top of it.  They're more nannies than you think.

But in any case, I don't see how he can still be in the program if he tested negative for everything.  I suspect he was talking about initially being put in it after getting arrested.

Does he seem like a guy who needs a nanny?  Not to me.

He should at least be able to read the banned substance list that gets hammered into every player ever year.  Certainly his coaching staff should be more on top of that than some agent.  Wouldn't the staff know every player's prescription med list and who needed an exemption?  They absolutely should.

I though it was weird that Oliver didn't protest the circumstances of his arrest until the charges were dropped. 

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Does he seem like a guy who needs a nanny?  Not to me.

He should at least be able to read the banned substance list that gets hammered into every player ever year.  Certainly his coaching staff should be more on top of that than some agent.  Wouldn't the staff know every player's prescription med list and who needed an exemption?  They absolutely should.

I though it was weird that Oliver didn't protest the circumstances of his arrest until the charges were dropped. 

Most rookies need nannies/someone to look out for them.  There's so much going on that first year it's overwhelming.  Finding out what prescription medication(s) a player takes isn't an obscure or extraordinary task for an agent and can help his client avoid suspension.  And if I'm not mistaken, an agent takes a hit money-wise if a player is suspended, since their contracts are typically a percentage of the money their client earns, so there's some skin in the game for them.

As for not protesting the circumstances, it's likely his agent/lawyer told him not to say anything until he was cleared.  He played this whole thing perfectly and I commend him for it. 

Edited by Doc

35 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just popped in here to see how this conversation had evolved over 15 pages.

I see we've reached the "people denying that systemic racism in policing exists" stage.

Always a fun one.

"Structural/systemic/institutional racism" are just fancy terms used to describe disparate impact, which piggy backs off the vitriol of intentional racism to give the impression that they are the same. They are not.  

With that in mind, if you think there is not "systemic racism" in our police, you are wrong.  Where things get off track is the belief that because there is a disparate impact the police deserve to be treated like "racists," in the classic sense of the term. 

On 8/10/2020 at 11:35 AM, Don Otreply said:

Right over your head Ktulu, he blew a 0.0, and got arrested in spite of his obvious innocence, and taken to jail, for no reason/being black while driving, that you don’t see it is truly amazing...if Ed was white he is let go on the road where he was pulled over. 

Theres no evidence race was a factor . None ...zero nothing....

There are many other ways to be influenced besides alcohol. Drugs and narcotics for one, also illegal.

He was effected by drugs. Very simple.

5 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

There are many other ways to be influenced besides alcohol. Drugs and narcotics for one, also illegal.

Prove it.

6 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Except he wasn't. 

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Most rookies need nannies/someone to look out for them.  There's so much going on that first year it's overwhelming.  Finding out what prescription medication(s) a player takes isn't an obscure or extraordinary task for an agent and can help his client avoid suspension.  And if I'm not mistaken, an agent takes a hit money-wise if a player is suspended, since their contracts are typically a percentage of the money their client earns, so there's some skin in the game for them.

As for not protesting the circumstances, it's likely his agent/lawyer told him not to say nothing until he was cleared.  He played this whole thing perfectly and I commend him for it. 

He wasn’t a rookie this offseason. 

The team physician knows his med list so the FO should make sure he has that paper.  

Why would a lawyer recommend that if they knew he would test negative?  

8 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Evidently not in a material way, being no charges were levied against the person of interest. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It is standard legal advice to not comment publicly while live charges are pending. 

Not really.  Not if you know it’s not a righteous bust.  Especially in today’s climate 

If you’re sweating out the test results, sure...

Edited by Mr. WEO

28 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I hope that is your excuse for that grammar too. 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Not really.  Not if you know it’s not a righteous bust.  Especially in today’s climate 

Nah. It really is what any lawyer worth their salt would advise. And I said this weeks ago before he was cleared. Innocent or guilty you say nothing while live charges are pending. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He wasn’t a rookie this offseason. 

The team physician knows his med list so the FO should make sure he has that paper.  

Why would a lawyer recommend that if they knew he would test negative?  

He was a rookie when he met his agent, who would have asked about medication and he would have said "we need to get you a TUE and keep up with it."  And I knew I should have added "...and many non-rookies also need nannies..."

The lawyer knew it was negative...when he got the lab results, which took awhile.  There probably wasn't much time between them finding out the lab results and the case being dismissed for Oliver to start protesting. 

But what's so weird about him not commenting?  Oh wait...

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

And there it is.  You mad he got off, bro?

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I hope that is your excuse for that grammar too. 

Nah. It really is what any lawyer worth their salt would advise. And I said this weeks ago before he was cleared. Innocent or guilty you say nothing while live charges are pending. 

That may have been true before George Floyd (which was soon after Oliver’s attest). There’s no penalty for speaking out.  If I’m a public figure and I know there is no evidence and that therefore the case is bogus, I would be all over the public via social media.  It’s risk free and would be totally appropriate for the current national discussion.  

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

That may have been true before George Floyd (which was soon after Oliver’s attest). There’s no penalty for speaking out.  If I’m a public figure and I know there is no evidence and that therefore the case is bogus, I would be all over the public via social media.  It’s risk free and would be totally appropriate for the current national discussion.  

Well if I was your attorney I'd be telling you that would be foolish. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doc said:

He was a rookie when he met his agent, who would have asked about medication and he would have said "we need to get you a TUE and keep up with it."  And I knew I should have added "...and many non-rookies also need nannies..."

The lawyer knew it was negative...when he got the lab results, which took awhile.  There probably wasn't much time between them finding out the lab results and the case being dismissed for Oliver to start protesting. 

But what's so weird about him not commenting?  Oh wait...

And there it is.  You mad he got off, bro?

Mad? Lol that’s messed up doc.  I really don’t care other than no he’s available to do his job.  I’m not into the hero worship and the “like/hate” stuff that keeps you going.

Again, it’s incumbent on the player, medical staff and coaching staff to know who needs what to be eligible to play.  A medical staff that cannot see an obvious problem with a players need list isn’t doing its job.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Well if I was your attorney I'd be telling you that would be foolish. 

Why? What is the risk?

Greg Tompsett (@GregTompsett) Tweeted:
That size isn’t supposed to move that way 
?????
#GoBills #BillsMafia

Didn't want to start a thread for this so I thought I'd just put it here. Not sure if this was posted anywhere.

Does he look impaired to you? ?

Man, this kid can move for a man his size!

So glad we got him when we did, but does anyone think Quinnen Williams would have been the pick if he were available at the time. It's early but Ed has proven to be the better DT thus far.

Edited by billsbackto81
  • Like (+1) 1