Another Bills reporter trying to make himself the story

6 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Being "religious" means nothing without putting something into actual practice, which is what I took Fromm's point to be in his answer. Loving others does not follow just by defining oneself as "religious." I would agree with your take if all he actually said was "I'm religious." 

its “the team with the most points wins the game” level of religious insight there. If it’s a step forward, from “I’m religious” that strides length is measured in grains of sand. 

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

And I think it was smart of Fromm.  The guy just got crucified publicly.  I probably would have reserved my thoughts as well.   If the reporter wanted a discussion, have it privately, not in a forum where the guy can be picked apart.   If I was Fromm I wouldnt answer another question or send another text for the rest of my life.

But isn’t a reporter’s job to ask questions? 

And bad did Fromm get crucified?  He did a zoom apology and it was forgotten in a day.  

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Joyner Lucas has an incredible song called “I’m Not Racist” where two people (one white, one black) come at each other with stereotypes and prejudices.  It’s an over-dramatic display of a “conversation”, but it’s an example of the conversation people keep saying we need in order to understand each other.   

However, people say we need a conversation but they don’t really mean that... instead they demand that you walk in lockstep with their points of view - All that does is create resentment and division.   If this is the way we attempt to rectify racial injustice, sadly, it won’t happen without tearing the country apart at the seams.  

Exactly correct.  Which is why I dont bother having the conversation.   Not even with close friends.   It's way too easy to label someone these days.  We live in a world where we want to sum someone up based on one event, rather than accepting the fact that a person is more than one moment or thought.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If politics break up your family, it wasn’t a strong family to begin with.  It’s ok not to blindly thing that same.

personally, I think a two party system is an absolute joke.  Both parties are idiotic yet morons cling to them like they are in a gang.    If one of the first things you tell me about yourself is your political Party, You probably aren’t that cool of a guy (the general you, not personally). 

I totally agree 

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

But isn’t a reporter’s job to ask questions? 

And bad did Fromm get crucified?  He did a zoom apology and it was forgotten in a day.  

You dont think there are thousands of people that think Jake Fromm is a racist to this day because of one mistake?   The reporter can ask the question all he want, but its not his job to decide how its answered.  If MLJ wanted a specific answer he should have just interviewed himself.

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

seems he's aware of it.

This seems a little disingenuous though.

Does seem like his issue was that he wanted more of an answer about Fromm's whole situation.

"Does seem like his issue was that he wanted more of an answer about Fromm's whole situation."

That's basically my understanding too.  I think L-J wanted an answer like Josh Allen's "Wow, I didn't realize that my teammates have the experience of being afraid for their life when they're pulled over by police, I think that's awful.  There's no place for racism!" or even "When I sent those texts, I wasn't aware that gun taxes had been used in Georgia to keep black men from owning guns.  I believe the Second Amendment applies to everyone regardless of race.  There's no place for racism." 

It would show something about learning a different perspective or learning some history about how making things expensive was used to disarm people according to race.

Now I do understand the viewpoint that Fromm has no obligation to provide that to Marcel.    On the other hand, if he wants to persuade people of personal growth or change, he needs to help a reporter help him do so.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I totally agree 

I believe you played a lot of football as did I and it’s what I loved about football.  The lockerroom was a melting pot of different people.  But you were brothers.

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

You dont think there are thousands of people that think Jake Fromm is a racist to this day because of one mistake?   The reporter can ask the question all he want, but its not his job to decide how its answered.  If MLJ wanted a specific answer he should have just interviewed himself.

Honestly, I think besides Bills and Georgia fans, no one really cares: thinks  about Jake Fromm.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I believe you played a lot of football as did I and it’s what I loved about football.  The lockerroom was a melting pot of different people.  But you were brothers.

100%

I laughed ,cried, danced, prayed ,sang with my brothers

• Like (+1) 2

The real cop out here is a reporter suggesting Fromm has an obligation to comment on “what he feels about what is going on in this country” or “what he has learned in 2 months” about very dumb personal texts he sent privately that were put on blast and has already apologized for. 

he may as well have said I’m just here so I don’t get fined. 

the entitlement these reporters have is amazing that football players are obligated to have what they deem are appropriate responses on social justice issues. 

if I were Fromm I just would have just stayed blabbering nonsensical football analogies and maddenisms. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

I don't think M L-J wanted a specific answer, but he wanted something that showed learnings from the conversations and viewpoints Fromm had just spoken of.

Fromm doesn't need to give him that, but if Fromm wants M L-J to help him persuade people that it was just a mistake and he has learned and grown from it, then he does need to give him some kind of an answer that shows some growth and learning.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have no idea what this means.  What do you see as the context?  What do you see as the scriptural backing?

Asked his opinion on the state of social inequality in the country, Fromm said the "last thing I want to do is get political in any way" but added that he believed the "world would be a better place if we can love God first and then love people."

Question: "What is your opinion on the state of social inequality in the country?" 

Context: Fromm was just telling reporters he's spent the last two months learning about just that thing " seeing the world through a different lens"

Answer: "the world would be a better place if we can love God first and then love people"

How does that answer the question in its context?  If it's not vaguely spiritual but specific, what is the specific scriptural reference?  Genesis IX, 18–27?  Ephesians, VI, 5-7?

the context  is that if you love  others as much as you love God the color of ones skin would be irrelevant. That love would supercede the bias of skin color...That is the context I referred to. The scripture I quoted above was based on Love which in Matthew 22:37-40 teaches “Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:37-40). It was a profound answer and Im surprised anyone would call it unacceptable.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If politics break up your family, it wasn’t a strong family to begin with.  It’s ok not to blindly thing that same.

personally, I think a two party system is an absolute joke.  Both parties are idiotic yet morons cling to them like they are in a gang.    If one of the first things you tell me about yourself is your political Party, You probably aren’t that cool of a guy (the general you, not personally). 

agreed. 

though I think that some people mask morally reprehensible stances as “just politics” 

and I think being a junk person can certainly break up families... but that doesn’t mean minor quibbles over how tax policy can best serve people should do that.

You know, the difference between we both intend well but disagree on how to get there vs someone actually being a schmuck.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The real cop out here is a reporter Fromm has an obligation to comment on “what he feels about what is going on in this country” or “what he has learned in 2 months” about very dumb personal texts he sent privately that were put on blast and has already apologized for.  

he may as well have said I’m just here so I don’t get fined. 

the entitlement these reporters have is amazing that football players are obligated to have what they deem are appropriate responses in social justice issues. 

if I were Fromm I just would have just stayed blabbering nonsensical football analogies and maddenisms. 

Again - what does Fromm want?  If he wants to persuade people he's learned and changed, shouldn't he be able to come up with a bit of a better answer in two months?

I think that's L-J's point.   Fromm  could even decline to answer - he could say "This is a topic where I'm still educating myself and I want to keep those conversations private".  I could be wrong, but I think L-J would have been chill with that.

If Fromm doesn't want that, or doesn't GAF, then your "if I were Fromm" makes perfect sense as a strategy.

2 minutes ago, Muppy said:

the context  is that if you love  others as much as you love God the color of ones skin would be irrelevant. That love would supercede the bias of skin color...That is the context I referred to. The scripture I quoted above was based on Love which in Matthew 22:37-40 teaches “Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:37-40). It was a profound answer and Im surprised anyone would call it unacceptable.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to explain what you meant.  I don't think it's acceptable as a response showing that he's been having conversations about a different point of view on race, but as a general scriptural response I can see where you're coming from.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

agreed. 

though I think that some people mask morally reprehensible stances as “just politics” 

and I think being a junk person can certainly break up families... but that doesn’t mean minor quibbles over how tax policy can best serve people should do that.

You know, the difference between we both intend well but disagree on how to get there vs someone actually being a schmuck.

Very true. I quit Facebook during the election.  What a cesspool that was.

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have no idea what this means.  What do you see as the context?  What do you see as the scriptural backing?

Asked his opinion on the state of social inequality in the country, Fromm said the "last thing I want to do is get political in any way" but added that he believed the "world would be a better place if we can love God first and then love people."

Question: "What is your opinion on the state of social inequality in the country?" 

Context: Fromm was just telling reporters he's spent the last two months learning about just that thing " seeing the world through a different lens"

Answer: "the world would be a better place if we can love God first and then love people"

How does that answer the question in its context?  If it's not vaguely spiritual but specific, what is the specific scriptural reference?  Genesis IX, 18–27?  Ephesians, VI, 5-7?

Leviticus 19:18
"Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against any of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD."

Mark 12:28-31

"One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?" 'The most important one,' answered Jesus, 'is this: 'Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

Clearly what Fromm was paraphrasing (perhaps in-artfully as a young millennial?) was the point behind these specific scriptural references you're asking about? Again, if we start with the presupposition that Fromm based on his statement now believes in the teaching that we are all equal before God regardless of race/status, then the natural flow from that is it would be wrong to treat one another unequally based on said race/status.     

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I wonder if Fromm would have said anything about "Elite Whites" to his brothers in the locker room. 

I don't doubt that he regrets sending the texts, and hopefully he has learned from them.  He could have easily answered that he understands how his statement was ignorant and in speaking with his team he understand that they have a negative connotation and do not reflect how he feels about minorities in the country.  Again I can't imagine the Buffalo Bills PR team didn't prepare him for that.

I enjoy MJL's work, and I believe he is much better than other writers Buffalo has had in the past who try to kick up dirt for news. (Looking at Vic C) Vic even had a dumb question on Stefon Digg's intro call that you could tell he didn't appreciate.  Even the way he asked it was just to be confrontational and do gotcha journalism, and Diggs threw it right back at him asking what he publicly said.  

Edited by Gregthekeg

Some of the open dialogue in this thread and the civility within the conversations is among the best I’ve seen from most public forums.  Kudos to all on that.  To quote White Goodman...  “There’s a good energy in the Gym!”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again - what does Fromm want?  If he wants to persuade people he's learned and changed, shouldn't he be able to come up with a bit of a better answer in two months?

I think that's L-J's point.   He could even decline to answer - he could say "This is a topic where I'm still educating myself and I want to keep those conversations private".

If Fromm doesn't want that, or doesn't GAF, then your "if I were Fromm" makes perfect sense as a strategy.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to explain what you meant.

My guess is he wants his utterly dumb text to just go away, because he probably doesn’t really think that way and doesn’t want to get pulled into social commentary or any further controversies.

My guess is He just wants to Focus on converting on his low probability of making a pro football team. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1