Another Bills reporter trying to make himself the story

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I'd say my issue is that Marcel is essentially saying that Fromm has to answer this question and give a significant answer but that's not true Fromm doesn't have tell him *****.

100% agree.  Fromm doesn't owe Marcel or the public a dissertation on BLM, police brutality, social justice or anything else.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

Oh I agree. I find Trump to be wildly inappropriate and immoral and I am confused too that so many Christians are willing to overlook that. I think if most were honest they would prefer some different figurehead, but it comes down to a fear of what domocratic leaders would do instead of really believing in the republican representative.

They like that he punches back to what they see as an increasing secular society more similar to European countries.

Just now, MJS said:

Oh I agree. I find Trump to be wildly inappropriate and immoral and I am confused too that so many Christians are willing to overlook that. I think if most were honest they would prefer some different figurehead, but it comes down to a fear of what domocratic leaders would do instead of really believing in the republican representative.

Good post.  But I think that’s kinda what is disingenuous about Fromm’s answer.  Did he really learn from this or is it just say God this and God that while still believing the same stuff?  

Personally, this is such a non story.  I think Fromm said something really stupid and while I think he has some typical southern believes, I really doubt he is a racist.  If his teammates at Georgia and now with the Bills are cool with him, that’s fine.  Now as others have said, the question is if he’s good enough.  For that, I have doubts but literally nothing has really happened to the guy. 

9 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's ok to see a correlation there, but I don't think it's Fromm's responsibility to do so. I say this as someone who's extremely opposed to what he said. The reporter needs to ask a better and more direct question, not try to connect dots.

I’ll continue to echo that I’m not saying the reporters great.

but if you spent your last couple months having big meaningful conversations about a major topic that’s playing out around you and then you are asked about that topic at hand... it’s a reasonable expectation to see him say something more meaningful about the issue. Like I said, not the end of the world but good reason to have a questions (which the reporter may or may not have been able to ask)

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'd say my issue is that Marcel is essentially saying that Fromm has to answer this question and give a significant answer but that's not true Fromm doesn't have tell him *****.

but likewise the reporter doesn’t have to say his answer sufficed. 

your allowed to duck the question and the reporters allowed to say you ducked it and then the fans are allowed to think what they will 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

More mountains being made out of mole hills. :rolleyes:

i would say calling this tweet and/or the reaction a mountain is certainly you doing exactly that

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I just felt like he judged Fromm’s response personally, and attached it to his reporting of the quote. It struck me as unprofessional.

FWIW, here is Marcel LJ's story.  Do you find it unprofessional?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29615286/jake-fromm-looks-make-amends-elite-white-people-text

I think we're in the "grey fuzzy area" where Twitter is

-a tool reporters use to build following thus enhance their value to employers

-but also a platform for that reporter's personal beliefs and reactions

I think MLJ wrote a good professional article about Fromm's interview.  Then in twitter gave his perspective as a black man.   My personal thought was, as the result of 2 months purported "educating myself, staying really close to my friends that are on the other side, having those conversations and really helping out however I can", for Fromm to be asked his opinion "on the state of social inequality in the country" and respond "last thing I want to do is get political in any way" but add the "world would be a better place if we can love God first and then love people" is Weak-Sauce. 

There's a lot of space between full-on "Black Lives Matter" and "last thing I want to do is get political in any way".

JMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

your allowed to duck the question and the reporters allowed to say you ducked it and then the fans are allowed to think what they will 

But that's not what Marcel said he said it wasn't acceptable if not giving a real answer isn't acceptable then he's implying he has to give an answer.

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree with this 1000%.  There are people who think that saying that are a certain religion absolves every terrible thing they do.  And they love judging others.  

instead of clinging to the Bible (a wild book written over 1000 years ago), I was always taught to live by the golden rule. Treat people the way you want to be treated.  If people really did this, the world would be a much better place. It’s that simple, 

When Jesus gave the parable of "The Good Samaritan" (starts at Luke 10:30), it was the embodiment of the golden rule. A man who by rights was the sworn enemy of another in a different tribe, stops to help and rescues his enemy from certain death, and pays for his recovery care--all while getting nothing back in return. If those who say they cling to the Bible were to put it into actual practice, then your take would hopefully be different as well. :)  

edit:  this would be like me stopping on a 5-lane interstate to fix Bill Belichick's flat tire--I can hardly think of a more detestable thing to have to do! :rolleyes:

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

Not if the player says anything remotely Christian no matter how cryptic or how badly butchered.  Once that happens, everyone forfeits their right to criticism. 

UNLESS that player has just turned the ball over 5 times in one half of football.  In that case, something like, I don't know, this:

"“At the end of day I know where my true identity lies: in Christ. ... Being a child of God, basically. Not finding my identity in football." 

doesn't even come close to an acceptable response to "what did you learn from your performance today?".

1 hour ago, DFT said:

“Love God first and love people...”

”That’s not an acceptable response!”

When a quote from Jesus isn’t an acceptable response to you, you may have a problem that extends beyond the person that’s quoting him.

I got called in front of my boss for using some racially insensitive language.  When asked what I learned from a few weeks of sensitivity training and how I will change my behavior in the future I dropped the old "I'm not going to get into that, but I will say I'm focused on loving God and deepening my relationship with Christ".  I was let go!!!! 

I am now suing Chick Fil A Corporate for their anti-Christian agenda.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Jauronimo said:

I got called in front of my boss for using some racially insensitive language.  When asked what I learned from a few weeks of sensitivity training and how I will change my behavior in the future I dropped the old "I'm not going to get into that, but I will say I'm focused on loving God and deepening my relationship with Christ".  I was let go!!!! 

Chick Fil A’s homophobic chicken is so good though!!!

my pleasure 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

I like MLJ in general. But my first thought when I saw that was ... “acceptable to whom?” 

This is the problem with the BLM, they are now the arbiters of what is right and wrong to say. That’s exactly what this is stemming from. Fromm said nothing wrong but to a Supporter of what BLM actually stands for, this is the way they will see this.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

100% agree.  Fromm doesn't owe Marcel or the public a dissertation on BLM, police brutality, social justice or anything else.

No, he doesn't owe Marcel or the public those things, but if he wants to persuade Marcel LJ (who seems to be one of just a handful of black reporters for national media) and provide evidence to black players on other teams that he's genuinely educating himself on issues of race, one would think in 2 months he could come up with a better answer.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Not a very good analogy this wasn't a private conversation it was one specifically meant to be put out there for all to see.

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, here is Marcel LJ's story.  Do you find it unprofessional?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29615286/jake-fromm-looks-make-amends-elite-white-people-text

I think we're in the "grey fuzzy area" where Twitter is

-a tool reporters use to build following thus enhance their value to employers

-but also a platform for that reporter's personal beliefs and reactions

I think MLJ wrote a good professional article about Fromm's interview.  Then in twitter gave his perspective as a black man.   My personal thought was, as the result of 2 months purported "educating myself, staying really close to my friends that are on the other side, having those conversations and really helping out however I can", for Fromm to be asked his opinion "on the state of social inequality in the country" and respond "last thing I want to do is get political in any way" but add the "world would be a better place if we can love God first and then love people" is Weak-Sauce. 

There's a lot of space between full-on "Black Lives Matter" and "last thing I want to do is get political in any way".

JMO.

In my opinion politics should not even be brought up in interviews

Remember the 70s and 80s and 60s when politics was never discussed? It's like religion

It's a no-go discussion because it just causes friction

Fromm made a mistake, as a 20 year old kid, every single person alive made mistakes at 20

He already got dragged through the mud, I think his name has already got enough stains on it

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Jauronimo said:

Not if the player says anything remotely Christian no matter how cryptic or how badly butchered.  Once that happens, everyone forfeits their right to criticism. 

UNLESS that player has just turned the ball over 5 times in one half of football.  In that case, something like, I don't know, this:

"“At the end of day I know where my true identity lies: in Christ. ... Being a child of God, basically. Not finding my identity in football." 

doesn't even come close to an acceptable response to "what did you learn from your performance today?".

who cares?  It’s an idiotic question in the first place

1 minute ago, HamSandwhich said:

This is the problem with the BLM, they are now the arbiters of what is right and wrong to say. That’s exactly what this is stemming from. Fromm said nothing wrong but to a Supporter of what BLM actually stands for, this is the way they will see this.

How about “acceptable to someone that was just told that the speaker has been learning important information about the topic”

• Like (+1) 1