Covid reserve list transaction wire

On 8/6/2020 at 9:51 AM, whatdrought said:

Now do serology testing!

It’s crazy to me that teams aren’t (and maybe they are and keeping it under wraps) doing antibody testing to see who may have had it and may then be at lesser risk now. 

I think the reason teams aren't is probably science-driven.  Cornell U for example is testing every student and faculty member 2x/week and is not doing serology testing.

1) there's some evidence that antibodies disappear quickly - about 72 days, especially from mildly or asymptomatically infected people.

2) that doesn't mean those people are susceptible - on the contrary, their immune system kicked virus butt the first time, so there's reason to think they'd kick virus butt even more efficiently the second round

3) S. Korea, which does follow-up testing before positive-testing people release from isolation and is very thorough with contact tracing, does have some cases where people who tested negative on the diagnostic test and positive for antibodies, later test positive for the virus again and have some symptoms (usually mild)

So it's just not scientifically clear at this point what antibodies mean for immunity and risk.  They could test people for T-cells and memory B cells, but those tests aren't commonly available, cost $1000/a pop or more, and take 3 days or something like that.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the reason teams aren't is probably science-driven.  Cornell U for example is testing every student and faculty member 2x/week and is not doing serology testing.

1) there's some evidence that antibodies disappear quickly - about 72 days, especially from mildly or asymptomatically infected people.

2) that doesn't mean those people are susceptible - on the contrary, their immune system kicked virus butt the first time, so there's reason to think they'd kick virus butt even more efficiently the second round

3) S. Korea, which does follow-up testing before positive-testing people release from isolation and is very thorough with contact tracing, does have some cases where people who tested negative on the diagnostic test and positive for antibodies, later test positive for the virus again and have some symptoms (usually mild)

So it's just not scientifically clear at this point what antibodies mean for immunity and risk.  They could test people for T-cells and memory B cells, but those tests aren't commonly available, cost $1000/a pop or more, and take 3 days or something like that.

That makes sense. I appreciate that! 

How much would serology testing cost, and is that a difficult procedure?

I think if I was a GM I would do it anyways if it isn’t overly expensive or intrusive just to get a feel for it. 

Maybe that’s fruitless curiosity. 

10 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I think if I was a GM I would do it anyways if it isn’t overly expensive or intrusive just to get a feel for it. 

True serology testing is very easy - draw a tube of blood and spin it to get serum and run it with results in anywhere from 18 - 30 minutes.

You can also do quick assays that are becoming available- like over the counter pregnancy test- that need less sample and 5 - 10 minutes.

The cost is going to depend on the deal they get, but for a good assay using serum - it will run about $50 a sample - with a volume discount they might get it at $30 or so.  Currently most labs are charging around $100 self pay for the testing now as the volume is low and there is no shown clinical utility to the testing - therefore insurance will not cover and the patient gets screwed (go US health care).  The assays are ok depending on manufacturer with a higher level of false positive and false negatives that we typically see in Ab assays.

The quick assays would be cheaper, but right now they tend to have high false positive and false negative rates because they have been rushed to market.  They tend to cross react with other illnesses at a higher level as they are not as specific as they should be and for several patients tested as we tried to evaluate kits for pre surgical testing - we found they missed patients that were known positives and were picked up by other assays.

The biggest problem is studies done in other areas have shown exactly what Hapless talked about.  The antibodies fade very quickly so a negative does not tell you someone was not exposed as their levels may have dropped off to undetectable levels.  The antibodies also have not shown to be effective long term in preventing reoccurrence of the illness as there have been some multiple infections around the world.  Therefore - although it might be a nice additional piece of the puzzle- at this point until additional studies are done and most importantly a longer time review of the impact and effectiveness of the antibodies - it doesn’t really give anyone concrete info and could lead to some players thinking they are safe when we do not know that for sure.

I am also not sure the players would agree to giving up a blood tube as they have fought that tooth and nail in drug testing.  If they submit now - it might impact their argument long term on HGH blood testing.  Totally different case, but potentially could be used in future arguments.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 8/9/2020 at 5:22 AM, Rochesterfan said:

I am also not sure the players would agree to giving up a blood tube as they have fought that tooth and nail in drug testing.  If they submit now - it might impact their argument long term on HGH blood testing.  Totally different case, but potentially could be used in future arguments.

The solution is simple on this - NFLPA pays for it and NFLPA finds someone they trust but that breaks the welfare argument they always do wanting "partner" NFL to pay for everything.   NFL needs a good divorce laywer.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:51 AM, whatdrought said:

Now do serology testing! 

It’s crazy to me that teams aren’t (and maybe they are and keeping it under wraps) doing antibody testing to see who may have had it and may then be at lesser risk now. 

They don’t want these guys thinking they are low risk to contract because riskier behavior immediately follows

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

They don’t want these guys thinking they are low risk to contract because riskier behavior immediately follows

That is a very good point. 

“You already had covid, so you could be immune, but we don’t know for sure.” 

Player in the club with side pieces 3 hours later. 

On 8/8/2020 at 5:40 PM, whatdrought said:

I don't know the cost. 

To do one of the best quality serology tests is very straightforward.  Draw a tube of blood and run a test called an ELISA.  Could do all the team and staff on 2 plates.

I'm thinking they don't want the guys to be thinking "Wooo hoo I'm immune!" and going off to the clubs.

On 8/9/2020 at 12:54 PM, Doc said:

What, they didn't expect to get swabs crammed way up their noses daily?

I believe the concern is being placed on the covid-19 reserve list after 1 positive test, which may be a false positive.

The head coach of the NFL's Los Angeles Chargers tested positive for Covid-19, he revealed in the latest season of HBO's "Hard Knocks."

"I can't promise you you're not going to get infected," Anthony Lynn told his players at the top of the program. "I got infected."
The revelation was met with looks of surprise from the players.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/12/sport/coronavirus-hard-knocks-chargers-anthony-lynn/index.html