Does Josh need to learn speed chess? Interesting article about how speed chess can help QBs

5 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

If someone would just tell him to to the throw the ball HIGH while throwing it FAR, he would improve dramatically.

I've never seen an NFL QB literally not understand the concept of throwing a deep ball.

Did you see any of his rookie season?

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

If someone would just tell him to to the throw the ball HIGH while throwing it FAR, he would improve dramatically.

I've never seen an NFL QB literally not understand the concept of throwing a deep ball.

But cap’n check down Edwards doesn’t play for us anymore! :w00t:

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Figster said:

I agree, 

I also think increased size and catching radius at the WR position is going to help matters.

It certainly isn’t going to hurt, ?

• Like (+1) 1

Playing chess is good so long as it is against other amateur players... but I found that when you get to a certain level, it's much less about strategy and a lot more about memorization. To get above a certain level, you MUST memorize patterns so that you are many moves ahead, or you'll lose. That's what makes grandmasters special... their memorization abilities are insane, and strategy is merely choosing which memorized road to go down.

17 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thought you’d like that Ridge.  It was too easy.

On a serious note, thanks Thurmon as that was an interesting article and I love chess.  Makes sense to teach speed chess.  I was never that good to do speed chess, but the parallels makes a great deal of sense.

Yeah, fascinating stuff.

I loved how he was able to find fairly quickly their weaknesses in chess and then that they had the same weaknesses in football, so when he worked on that mindset/tactical weakness in chess, it carried over. Amazing stuff, IMO.

I tried speed chess for like two games and I was awful. I now wonder whether I should start working on it.

18 hours ago, TBBills said:

If he wants to in his off time but TBH he just needs to be more accurate and I know chess doesn't do that.

While he does need to work on the inconsistency problems he has with accuracy, that is absolutely not all that he needs to get done.

I'm sure if you talk to him, to his coaches both on the Bills and private, they would all tell you he needs to work on a ton of things. They all do, really, but it's certainly true of Josh as well.

Edited by Thurman#1

Technically, blitz is 3 minutes a side or longer. What they're describing is actually next level fast. The chess they're talking about is called bullet. All serious chess needs to be played with time limits, and, to me, chess has always been the best corollary for football. I'm a huge football fan and a fairly serious chess player and have always called football the chess of sports. The whole he-goes-there-I-go-here-and-if-he-goes-there-next part is a lot like calling plays, changing defenses, adjusting formations and so on. I love this, and I think there is great value in teaching bullet chess. Way to go. And I would love to see JA try this.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, mykidsdad said:

Technically, blitz is 3 minutes a side or longer. What they're describing is actually next level fast. The chess they're talking about is called bullet. All serious chess needs to be played with time limits, and, to me, chess has always been the best corollary for football. I'm a huge football fan and a fairly serious chess player and have always called football the chess of sports. The whole he-goes-there-I-go-here-and-if-he-goes-there-next part is a lot like calling plays, changing defenses, adjusting formations and so on. I love this, and I think there is great value in teaching bullet chess. Way to go. And I would love to see JA try this.

Bullet chess is very difficult. I usually do 5 min games and that can be challenging too. 

Chess is a really fun game. Makes you think several moves ahead. I'm sure it would help QBs process information

I've said for a long time the NFL needs Stepford QB's!  The game has got too fast, the players are too big and strong for the average or above average person to stand back there and figure things out and if/when he figures the mental part out, implement what's needed physically.   There are a few out there smart enough, but they may not have the physical skills to pull it off.  Fitz is a prime example. 

Kind of reminds me back in the 70's when first it was the Cowboys with Laundry who resorted to calling all the plays in from the sideline as didn't want their QB to have to figure things out all along out there.  Quickly other teams followed. 

And yes am aware that Paul Brown did it way before, but didn't seem to catch on until Dallas implemented it.

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Blitz chess, yoga, and bong hits is how I begin most days.

I play blitz chess mostly online, but I have chess clock and play OTB often too

Blitz chess and alcohol is more fun.

We used shot glasses for pawns, 4 oz glasses for knights, bishops and rooks with different glass ornaments and 8 oz for queen.

When you capture you drink.  Usually we would use a mixed drink but occasionally use different items in glasses like whiskey in shot glass, Guinness in rook glass, etc.

When you are late in move you poured yourself a shot and reset clock.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Blitz chess and alcohol is more fun.

We used shot glasses for pawns, 4 oz glasses for knights, bishops and rooks with different glass ornaments and 8 oz for queen.

When you capture you drink.  Usually we would use a mixed drink but occasionally use different items in glasses like whiskey in shot glass, Guinness in rook glass, etc.

When you are late in move you poured yourself a shot and reset clock.

sounds like some fun drunken chess.

I always found Chess Boxing intriguing