Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

45 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Why do you assume I'm testy?

I apologize if you thought that was me being angry. It was merely a statement of fact because at least in that post, you were indeed an idiot.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. :beer:

I tell my students all the time that contrary to the popular belief the motherly teachers have probably told them, there are absolutely such a thing as dumb questions and I will point them out when they ask them.

Yours was a dumb question.

You'll probably double down and keep pushing, but you'd demonstrate more character just admitting you asked a dumb question.

Probably because you're completely ignoring the context of that post.

It's no surprise considering the wild cherry picking I consistently see over here.

Go back and read.

How do you tell your students they’ve asked a dumb question?  And I have a HUGE problem with a teacher telling impressionable children they are dumb. I manage a team of adults some of whom I’ve worked with for 20 years and have a very close friendship outside of work with. I would NEVER even insinuate any question they asked was dumb. 

42 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes. I would start tomorrow.

I'm digging in because I have empathy. 

Nothing has gotten better.

The reason those entities have changed their tune is not because we are safer as a country now than when we shut down in March. It's because of the kids and their social and emotional well being.

And I get that. I even agree, which is why I'm willing to get back in the classroom. My students will benefit most from my in class instruction.

But what about the teachers and the kids' families?

So we just accept some casualties--which surely will happen at some point--because they're adults?

And what about when kids get sick or die?

Nothing is better.

It's bizarre logic to have to shut everything down back in March so we can get the virus under control (which other countries have done successfully) and now claim that we obviously have to fully open back up even though things are much, much worse.

I'm not the one digging. Your President dug us into this hole and we're all suffering the consequences.

Link?

This is untrue. Things have gotten better. 
But only if you stop watching the damn news which is trying to tell you this is a Black Plague and orange man is bad. 

Deaths have been declining at a good clip. 
Sure they are popping a bit now but that’s what happens when you reopen.

Cases mean nothing. Especially when the tests are pure garbage.
We never should have closed down. 
Curve flattening was BS.

lockdowns of healthy populations don’t work. Never have.  

Our scientists unfortunately know little.
Our policy makers less...

and no one is pointing their fingers where it needs to be pointed - directly in the face of the ***** Chinese.
Seemingly everyone has forgotten about that. 

Edited by Bakin
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes. I would start tomorrow.

I'm digging in because I have empathy. 

Nothing has gotten better.

The reason those entities have changed their tune is not because we are safer as a country now than when we shut down in March. It's because of the kids and their social and emotional well being.

And I get that. I even agree, which is why I'm willing to get back in the classroom. My students will benefit most from my in class instruction.

But what about the teachers and the kids' families?

So we just accept some casualties--which surely will happen at some point--because they're adults?

And what about when kids get sick or die?

Nothing is better.

It's bizarre logic to have to shut everything down back in March so we can get the virus under control (which other countries have done successfully) and now claim that we obviously have to fully open back up even though things are much, much worse.

I'm not the one digging. Your President dug us into this hole and we're all suffering the consequences.

Link?

What about the grocery clerk and their families?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

What about the grocery clerk and their families?

It's unreal to some people that there are people that actually have to show up at their job or they don't get paid and they do.  Millions of them.  It's called taking ownership.

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Ummm... okay Rip Van Winkle.

Red states with Republican Governors are the ones having the issues over the last couple months.

I don't even know how you can believe what you just said if you've been paying attention.

Look at Florida, Texas, Georgia, Arizona, Tennessee, Oklahoma, etc. over the last month or so.

All red states with Republican Governors leading state policy.

All have seen drastically increased case numbers in the last month or so. They're very far from "doing great at limiting Covid" as you suggest.

I don't know what "selextive" but it sounds provocative.

And with that situation, if she was so publicly doing that that she's traceable, my answer would be, sure.

Are you implying that's the norm rather than the exception? 

I hope not. 

The top states for deaths are NY, NJ, Cali, illinois, and Mass. Which is what you mentioned earlier- deaths. As for FL problems we discussed this earlier, the only big issues are in the 3 idiot deep blue counties of Florida. If they were not part of Florida we would have great numbers. As for the rest of states I see it centered around the cities which are generally deep blue. You can keep arguing but the death rate is much higher in liberal areas especially in areas where people like to blame Trump. Lastly since I am not sure what you teach, but I am certain it is not math or science because you don't grasp either, the number of cases in healthy people is not a big issue unless we overwhelm the hospitals which is not an issue in FL except for the liberal areas. Conservatives are not responsible for liberals being stupid, as many times as you say it is our fault 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

How do you tell your students they’ve asked a dumb question?  And I have a HUGE problem with a teacher telling impressionable children they are dumb. I manage a team of adults some of whom I’ve worked with for 20 years and have a very close friendship outside of work with. I would NEVER even insinuate any question they asked was dumb. 

You probably don't do a very good job establishing norms and building relationships with them then.

I really don't care what your opinion is of me, but I never said I call my students dumb. I think that at least needs to be clarified since evidently you are not reading.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bakin said:

This is untrue. Things have gotten better. 
But only if you stop watching the damn news which is trying to tell you this is a Black Plague and orange man is bad. 

Deaths have been declining at a good clip. 
Sure they are popping a bit now but that’s what happens when you reopen.

Cases mean nothing. Especially when the tests are pure garbage.
We never should have closed down. 
Curve flattening was BS.

lockdowns of healthy populations don’t work. Never have.  

Our scientists unfortunately know little.
Our policy makers less...

and no one is pointing their fingers where it needs to be pointed - directly in the face of the ***** Chinese.
Seemingly everyone has forgotten about that. 

Today alone our country had over 70,000 cases and 1,200+ deaths.

That's significantly worse than what we had in March.

Your last paragraph is hilarious. 

I guess you know better than anyone.

Here. I think you should read this:

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Expertise-Campaign-Established-Knowledge/dp/0190865970/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2T9VWM9XHUEPA&dchild=1&keywords=the+death+of+expertise&qid=1595478723&sprefix=The+death+%2Caps%2C317&sr=8-1

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bakin said:

Cases mean nothing.

Cases without deaths is a good thing.  Mass exposure and herd immunity will end this thing long before any vaccine is available.

Median age of people who have died is what, 83?  So we need to close down schools to protect all those teachers in their 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s.  Absurd.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The top states for deaths are NY, NJ, Cali, illinois, and Mass. Which is what you mentioned earlier- deaths. As for FL problems we discussed this earlier, the only big issues are in the 3 idiot deep blue counties of Florida. If they were not part of Florida we would have great numbers. As for the rest of states I see it centered around the cities which are generally deep blue. You can keep arguing but the death rate is much higher in liberal areas especially in areas where people like to blame Trump. Lastly since I am not sure what you teach, but I am certain it is not math or science because you don't grasp either, the number of cases in healthy people is not a big issue unless we overwhelm the hospitals which is not an issue in FL except for the liberal areas. Conservatives are not responsible for liberals being stupid, as many times as you say it is our fault 

Now look at the last month.

Why did you move thr goalposts?

You said this is a liberal problem and that red states have it under control, yet in the last couple weeks NY, NJ and Massachusetts (all mentioned by you) have seen daily deaths below 30 for a few weeks whereas places like Florida, Texas and Arizona are consistently seeing deaths 3, 4, 5 times that amount daily for weeks now.

Today there were 202 deaths in Texas, 56 deaths in Arizona, and 81 deaths in Georgia, 64 deaths in South Carolina, 61 deaths in Alabama, 34 deaths in Mississippi.

That's 498 deaths in pretty clearly red areas historically.

And I don't have the specific death rate in front of me over the last month, but I think you're conflating death TOTAL with death RATE.

Population centers are always going to have higher totals in the long run... NYC ensured that at the beginning of all of this... but when the death total of South Carolina, Alabama and Mississippi in a day are several times the death total in New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts despite having a minuscule population in comparison to those 3 liberal states, you clearly seem to be missing something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Now look at the last month.

Why did you move thr goalposts?

You said this is a liberal problem and that red states have it under control, yet in the last couple weeks NY, NJ and Massachusetts (all mentioned by you) have seen daily deaths below 30 for a few weeks whereas places like Florida, Texas and Arizona are consistently seeing deaths 3, 4, 5 times that amount daily for weeks now.

Today there were 202 deaths in Texas, 56 deaths in Arizona, and 81 deaths in Georgia, 64 deaths in South Carolina, 61 deaths in Alabama, 34 deaths in Mississippi.

That's 498 deaths in pretty clearly red areas historically.

And I don't have the specific death rate in front of me over the last month, but I think you're conflating death TOTAL with death RATE.

Population centers are always going to have higher totals in the long run... NYC ensured that at the beginning of all of this... but when the death total of South Carolina, Alabama and Mississippi in a day are several times the death total in New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts despite having a minuscule population in comparison to those 3 liberal states, you clearly seem to be missing something.

This virus could care less about politics.  Focus on the virus, not your political leanings.  The virus is an unbiased organism that endlessly tries to reproduce itself.  It's not on any schedule and it's not going to strike every geographical location at the exact same time.  The virus is relentless but you must be more relentless.  

I don't know what parent would enroll their kid in kindergarten this year.  

Or even K-3 at all.

Pass that along to your elementary school teacher friends that think virtual is the way to go, and ask them what they think will happen to their jobs if those kids don't enroll.  

Why do they think districts are sending reminder upon reminder about filling out enrollment forms to parents.  

2020.  The year teachers slit their own throat by deeming themselves not essential.  

2 hours ago, realtruelove said:

This virus could care less about politics.  Focus on the virus, not your political leanings.  The virus is an unbiased organism that endlessly tries to reproduce itself.  It's not on any schedule and it's not going to strike every geographical location at the exact same time.  The virus is relentless but you must be more relentless.  

You're doing the exact same thing @Chef Jim did.

I won't call you an idiot, but I will say very nicely:

Please go back and look at the conversation and particularly at what @Buffalo Timmy stated rather than imply that I don't get that the virus is non-discriminatory.

I swear to God some of you are just all over the place. :doh:

• Haha (+1) 1

Please please please never reopen the schools.

If there ever was a time to break apart the teachers unions, it is now.

The savings in taxes would be amazing.

Besides, it's not like we have jobs waiting for these kids anymore after school.

We have China for that.

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You're doing the exact same thing @Chef Jim did.

I won't call you an idiot, but I will say very nicely:

Please go back and look at the conversation and particularly at what @Buffalo Timmy stated rather than imply that I don't get that the virus is non-discriminatory.

I swear to God some of you are just all over the place. :doh:

I can see how you could think I was insinuating the virus was attacking liberals since I did not spell it out for you. The virus is attacking people who are not behaving properly, especially those who refused to socially distance. In the past 60 days liberals have many times shown that socially distancing is not a priority. I know there are some conservatives who act dumb but that group is dwarfed by the liberals who act improperly 

1 hour ago, Reality Check said:

Please please please never reopen the schools.

If there ever was a time to break apart the teachers unions, it is now.

The savings in taxes would be amazing.

Besides, it's not like we have jobs waiting for these kids anymore after school.

We have China for that.

Lol 

11 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

You probably don't do a very good job establishing norms and building relationships with them then.

I really don't care what your opinion is of me, but I never said I call my students dumb. I think that at least needs to be clarified since evidently you are not reading.

I do a great job building relationships. It’s what I do for a living. 

I never said you called them dumb. Why I asked how you tell them their question is dumb. 

So I’ll ask again. How do you let them know that their question is dumb. 

13 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I do a great job building relationships. It’s what I do for a living. 

I never said you called them dumb. Why I asked how you tell them their question is dumb. 

So I’ll ask again. How do you let them know that their question is dumb. 

I don't speak for Transpy, but if he is saying anything other than the question is "intellectually deficient but understandable given your familial circumstance" it's just plain hurtful.  He should also be thanking them first, but that's not in everybody's hypothetical domicile where they individually maintain and store the imaginary wheels they possess. 

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don't speak for Transpy, but if he is saying anything other than the question is "intellectually deficient but understandable given your familial circumstance" it's just plain hurtful.  He should also be thanking them first, but that's not in everybody's hypothetical domicile where they individually maintain and store the imaginary wheels they possess. 

I am very intrigued to see how he handles a situation what a child asks what he considers a "dumb" question.  

I am also very intrigued to see what he considers a "dumb" question asked by a child.