Trump's railing about schools reopening, so might as well talk about it

Chris Wallace thought he was ready to scold Betsy DeVos, but she’s used to dealing with children

by Vivek Saxena

Original Article

Education Secretary Betsy DeVos tried to “school” Fox News host Chris Wallace this Sunday on the fact that the issue of whether to reopen schools this fall is one of the health of students vs the health of students, not “health vs something else.”“We know that kids are suffering with many mental issues. We know that kids are suffering with social-emotional learning issues,” she explained during a lengthy discussion with Wallace on Fox News’ “Fox News Sunday.”“We know that kids from vulnerable populations and homes have been suffering by not being in school and by not continuing their learning.

All of those are measures that have to be weighed

Public schools would do themselves a favor by studying what charter schools do. Generally speaking, charter schools do a better job with less and include much online schooling. 

I have experience in starting up a private school in CA when the public school system decided to close the elementary school next to my subdivision. The public school system had made a determination that our kids were going to be bussed to a school that was not acceptable to the parents in our area. After fighting that decision and ultimately losing some smart person read the CA Constitution and determined that we could start a school under the homeschooling provision. We leased a building and purchased a self paced curriculum. Our teachers were mainly previously stay-at-home mothers and we excelled in educating our children for a few years until our children moved on to the next level of education whether it was public or other private schools. This was in the mid 80's and the monthly tuition was $35. Anecdotally speaking when we moved back east my daughter was two years ahead of her grade level. Not one of our parents were certified teachers. 

The dysfunction of the government run school system here is indicative of  how the government ***** up much of what it touches. There has been 4 months to figure this out and yes it’s not easy at all but most of what I’ve seen here are excuses and hand wringing and few ideas on how to get the system operational.  As the liberals like to throw out there....

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! 

4 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Yes you did. Never said abolish the Unions.  And go to the fed for help in any way possible including PPP but looks like only private and charter schools can apply for PPP. 

Why mention PPP then or are you just throwing crap against the fan.  LOL. 

It's not that complicated.  Each grade will add one teacher and we'll have about 18 per classroom to meet the social distancing standards.  We're cutting art, technology, and music so those teachers will be available.  Lunch will be delivered to the classroom to prevent unnecessary movement.  Kids will stay in the same classroom all day.  Teachers will rotate.  To cover that extra classroom one teacher (art teacher, two music teachers, technology teacher, and one gym teacher) will be made available to each grade.  Those teachers will have kids go on the computer on education sites to reinforce the lessons.  They're still trying to get guidelines on special education students and whether kids can go to gym class or not.  Also, not sure if students will be forced to wear masks.  Hands washed every half hour (going to be a pain) and social distancing will be taught and reinforced.  That way all kids will come in five days a week at normal time, no increase to the school budget (some teacher aides had to be cut to balance the budget), and parents will be able to work.  Substitute teachers are no longer required to have a teaching degree (just a bachelor's degree in any field) to increase the demand for teachers afraid to go back to school.  It's going to pry suck but it beats keeping kids at home or your crazy 72 hour a week schedule.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

@Doc Brown to be certain, I do not love cutting arts & tech because I believe they are important. But overall that is pretty sensible. Are there plans to stagger dismissals to avoid overcrowding hallways?

Yeah.  It'll be two minute intervals for each classroom and they'll announce it on the loud speaker.  It will slightly delay dismissal.  There's honestly still a lot of crap that needs to be worked out because of how fluid the situation is.

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Why mention PPP then or are you just throwing crap against the fan.  LOL. 

It's not that complicated.  Each grade will add one teacher and we'll have about 18 per classroom to meet the social distancing standards.  We're cutting art, technology, and music so those teachers will be available.  Lunch will be delivered to the classroom to prevent unnecessary movement.  Kids will stay in the same classroom all day.  Teachers will rotate.  To cover that extra classroom one teacher (art teacher, two music teachers, technology teacher, and one gym teacher) will be made available to each grade.  Those teachers will have kids go on the computer on education sites to reinforce the lessons.  They're still trying to get guidelines on special education students and whether kids can go to gym class or not.  Also, not sure if students will be forced to wear masks.  Hands washed every half hour (going to be a pain) and social distancing will be taught and reinforced.  That way all kids will come in five days a week at normal time, no increase to the school budget (some teacher aides had to be cut to balance the budget), and parents will be able to work.  Substitute teachers are no longer required to have a teaching degree (just a bachelor's degree in any field) to increase the demand for teachers afraid to go back to school.  It's going to pry suck but it beats keeping kids at home or your crazy 72 hour a week schedule.

Yes like no one throws crap against a fan here.   I threw a lot of crap on this subject.

So it sounds like you're a teacher?  It also sounds like you and your team have put a lot of thought into this.  What is @transplantbillsfan problem with all this then?  

And my crazy 72 hour work schedule?  Again I was throwing things out there.  Sorry I infringed upon their "cushy" work schedule.  

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yeah.  It'll be two minute intervals for each classroom and they'll announce it on the loud speaker.  It will slightly delay dismissal.  There's honestly still a lot of crap that needs to be worked out because of how fluid the situation is.

Yup welcome to the new real world.  We have all been working on the fluidity of the situation since mid March.  

Just now, Chef Jim said:

Yes like no one throws crap against a fan here.   I threw a lot of crap on this subject.

So it sounds like you're a teacher?  It also sounds like you and your team have put a lot of thought into this.  What is @transplantbillsfan problem with all this then?  

And my crazy 72 hour work schedule?  Again I was throwing things out there.  Sorry I infringed upon their "cushy" work schedule.  

My wife is a teacher but I used to work in the district as a school psychologist.  I would rather be a hot tar roofer than an elementary school teacher.

19 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

My wife is a teacher but I used to work in the district as a school psychologist.  I would rather be a hot tar roofer than an elementary school teacher.

It's funny I was just talking with a friend who is working at Walmart waiting until things in their industry to get better and back to it. They were saying how hot it is there right now. They are in Atlanta. I said that's nothing.  I worked in restaurants where the kitchens were dungeons at best and we were treated like absolute *****.  I was telling them just now about Anthony Bordain's book Kitchen Confidential.  From the wiki page:

Released in 2000, the book is both Bourdain's professional memoir and a behind-the-scenes look at restaurant kitchens. The book is known for its treatment of the professional culinary industry, which he describes as an intense, unpleasant, and sometimes hazardous workplace staffed by who he describes as misfits. Bourdain believes that the workplace is not for hobbyists and that anyone entering the industry without a masochistic, irrational dedication to cooking will be deterred.[4]

So yeah comparatively speaking teachers have it easy from what I went through for 25 years. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

So it's going to be:

Open....close....open....close.....open.....close.  

• Like (+1) 1

the second an outbreak occurs at a school the entire county will shut down, and then the state government will freak out and shut down. the same parents that advocated for schools to reopen will have panic attacks about their kids 

You can literally see this happening from a million miles away 

Edited by Penfield45
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

the second an outbreak occurs at a school the entire country will shut down, and then the state government will freak out and shut down. the same parents that advocated for schools to reopen will have panic attacks about their kids 

You can literally see this happening from a million miles away 

Good points.  So we'll just keep the schools closed forever, keep our children in bubbles and all will be right in the world. 

4 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Good points.  So we'll just keep the schools closed forever, keep our children in bubbles and all will be right in the world. 

why do you people always have to take things to such extremes? no one is saying this

we can open schools 25% capacity and do virtual learning for the first half of the school year. every household has at least 1 smartphone or computer. virtual learning is not difficult 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

why do you people always have to take things to such extremes? no one is saying this

we can open schools 25% capacity and do virtual learning for the first half of the school year. every household has at least 1 smartphone or computer. virtual learning is not difficult 

"You people"?   Interesting choice of words.   Every household has someone to stay home to take care of the kids during the day too right?  Virtual learning is REAL difficult. 

17 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

every household has at least 1 smartphone or computer. virtual learning is not difficult 

My significant other would be to differ - she spent 3 months running laptops & tablets to disadvantaged kids so they could remote learn.

7 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

The qualifications could legitimately just be that they understand the lesson and can maintain order in the room. The lesson can be filmed and broadcast to multiple rooms at once from the 'qualified' educator. We had a professor at my College whose classes were live in the auditorium and simulcast to 5 other rooms across campus. Supervisor would just need to be able to facilitate the lesson within their room. 

Kids will not react to this online stuff. Especially, younger ones. The online stuff they tried this last year was a joke, and basically the parents just teach the kids (which is not necessarily a bad idea). It is just that the schools are a joke, and replacement of in person learning is not refined enough for younger students to learn.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Paulus said:

Kids will not react to this online stuff. Especially, younger ones. The online stuff they tried this last year was a joke, and basically the parents just teach the kids (which is not necessarily a bad idea). It is just that the schools are a joke, and replacement of in person learning is not refined enough for younger students to learn.

Kids learn better and faster when they are among their peers, also much better for the kids socially

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, bilzfancy said:

Kids learn better and faster when they are among their peers, also much better for the kids socially

I think everyone does naturally. Online classes are usually the worst. I mean, lesser educational institutions rely solely on them. I like the idea of smaller classes, as classroom size has ballooned where I live, far past the threshold set by the institutions initially. Use the Wuhan to make them live up to their principles.