Bills give STHers option to opt-out for 2020 while maintaining seniority and seat location

RiotAct

It is already known that front rows are not available.  If those fans go will they displace other fans?  This will become a game of musical chairs. They will also need to deal with different prices of seats - those with expensive seats moved to less expensive will expect credits.

1 hour ago, vanhalen26 said:

I have seasons and live in Toronto.  If we return from any country, the government requires we quarantine for 14 days.  Makes it hard to justify going to a bills game - especially with a family that relies on me to be out and about.  Today the government extended this rule from mid July to August 31st.  There’s speculation that the rule may get extended to the spring.  

This makes it even less likely Canadians will be at games this year, what a downer.

I floated this possibility on the forums a few months back, and the consensus seemed to be I was over reacting.  Unfortunately I may have been correct.

Hopefully we can get to games this year, even if it’s just the back half of the season.

The Bills have already said any Canadian STHers can opt out with no loss of seniority.  I already paid for 2020 so I'll just wait it out. I hope they let a few fans in but we'll be lucky if they play at all.

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It is already known that front rows are not available.  If those fans go will they displace other fans?  This will become a game of musical chairs. They will also need to deal with different prices of seats - those with expensive seats moved to less expensive will expect credits.

Exactly. For example I have two seats, the four to my left are STH, six in front of us are STH, and four behind us is a STH who sells every game on secondary market.

Most of us will have to move around, I just hope they release details of how that would likely be handled before I have to make a decision one way or the other. And by no fault of the NFL, they are unlikely to have that information anytime soon. 

Edited by Rockpile233

Guess im getting a bunch of money back- not happy about it

8 minutes ago, mead107 said:

We will probably opt out. 
being up in the clubs don’t have any idea how they could space us all out. 

Im in the clubs and probably gonna opt out as well.

The US Open in NYC without fans will end on Sept. 13 which is Week 1 against the Jets, so I doubt fans will be in attendance at the start of the season.  Plus, Bills games draw expats from all over the country so even if N.Y. has it under control, you will have people coming in from a bunch of other states.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Exactly. For example I have two seats, the four to my left are STH, six in front of us are STH, and four behind us is a STH who sells every game on secondary market.

Most of us will have to move around, I just hope they release details of how that would likely be handled before I have to make a decision one way or the other. And by no fault of the NFL, they are unlikely to have that information anytime soon. 

It is very strange how they restrict sales to out of state Bills fans but sell to people who buy tickets and sell them to out of state opposing fans.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

It may be less headache to ban all fans.  I’m kinda screwed anyways cuz I’m in Canada, but we have 5 season tickets.  Depending on how they allocate games if they have 50% attendance for example, people will complain about which games they got and how many seats they got, and where they were seated.  It won’t be fun to handle that in the administrative team.  I gotta say though that they are a class act - i called my account manager maybe 2 months back and asked what they would do with Canadian seat holders and I was told at that time that they would allow me to skip the year without penalty.  That made me comfortable continuing my payments.

Edited by vanhalen26
  • Like (+1) 1

Happy to see the announcement and updated policy. I emailed my STH rep just a week or two ago after the Giants announcement, and she told me if we opted out, we could preserve our seniority, but NOT our exact seats. 

I’m glad they went this way, and I don’t see how it won’t become the norm league wide. Not just for safety’s sake, but all the people hit with job losses and furloughs. I’m on a partial furlough this summer, and while we are fortunate enough to get by OK even with the furlough, it’s still $200/month I’m glad to not have to spend. 

Edited by jimmy10
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Hope they hold the money for next year.  

I’m pretty sure the Bills already announced a while ago that you can choose a refund or credit toward next year for any missed games this year. 

2 hours ago, zonabb said:

Great by them. Great they also suspended payments. I'm opting out, waiting for the official steps to be revealed. No way I'm going to that stadium with the attitudes too many people have about the danger posed by covid. Actually a really good test run to see if I'll actually miss the PITA security lines, cramped concourses, and obnoxious scoreboard. Could be the end. 

Don't forget the frickin train horn ?

If the decision had to be made today... I'd opt out.  My wife is dead against me going this year and after 17 years of her being cool with me going I've gotta consider that, if I get Covid-19 I'm bringing it back home to her and probably to her 93 year old mother, and my 82 year old parents.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Liberal Bob said:

I wonder if fans opt out will the Bills give a full refund or will they make you take credit for next season. I would imagine that some with groups of tickets will want a full refund.

I have NHL season tickets in  Canada and they were giving us the choice but they were also giving incentives if we were agreeing to take the credit. I'd rather have the money in my pocket so I selected the refund. It took 5-6 weeks and then the money showed up on my credit card.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

It is very strange how they restrict sales to out of state Bills fans but sell to people who buy tickets and sell them to out of state opposing fans.

They can just ID everyone at the gate, out of state ID means no entry to the stadium, and it’s not illegal to do so. So anyone purchasing those tickets may get jammed up, and have no recourse. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The way things are trending right now? I'm not sure any sport will be played for a while.

Nope, MLB doesnt good good- Minors cancelled seasons. Where is the NHL 24 team playoffs? Its looking like it wont happen across the board.