'13th' A Netflix Documentary

Would you be willing to watch a factual documentary about post slavery America that shows it's truly ugly side?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to watch the Netflix documentary '13th' and learn some things you CERTAINLY never knew about America?

• Yes, I am willing to learn things that may even make me uncomfortable.
    • No, it's the past and shouldn't be a big deal. It has zero effect on today's America.
    • I am sure I already know every thing that's in the doc, no need to watch
    • I really don't care about the terrible things America has done and don't want to hear any more about it!

Just now, Jaraxxus said:

Lee Atwater hasn't been in politics for well over 30 years now.

So what's your point? I should care about what some white politician said when I was a young teenager? It ain't putting blinders on just because someone disagrees with your misguided opinion.

So, I submit instead of you telling us to WAKE UP!!! I'm going to tell you to GROW UP.

That was a SMALL point from the documentary. I love how now '30 years' is a long time. I say this to the crowd who love to point out how long ago slavery ended as if politicians and presidents hasn't carried on very intentional and BLATANT systemic oppression of black people for another century plus after.

My question to you is WHEN DID THIS STOP???? At what point in American history did the US government wipe its self clean of this FILTHY and EVIL behavior? It hasnt! It has gotten better BUT STILL EXIST. Its a slow roll cause of so many still in the mind frame as many in this thread. Unwilling to admit its existence. Im proud of the millions of white people who have woken up this year and ready to force the changes needed!!!

1 minute ago, StHustle said:

That was a SMALL point from the documentary. I love how now '30 years' is a long time. I say this to the crowd who love to point out how long ago slavery ended as if politicians and presidents hasn't carried on very intentional and BLATANT systemic oppression of black people for another century plus after.

My question to you is WHEN DID THIS STOP???? At what point in American history did the US government wipe its self clean of this FILTHY and EVIL behavior? It hasnt! It has gotten better BUT STILL EXIST. Its a slow roll cause of so many still in the mind frame as many in this thread. Unwilling to admit its existence. Im proud of the millions of white people who have woken up this year and ready to force the changes needed!!!

So then, seems we can agree on something maybe. That is that governments in cities with large black populations have worked to keep those same people depressed. And oh, they've all been run by Democrats for decades.

Doe this also mean you'll switch and start voting Republican?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Point me to it, and please be specific. If you aren't quite sure then we can look at a more general piece and see if the specific parts can't be identified. 

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

My question to you is WHEN DID THIS STOP???? At what point in American history did the US government wipe its self clean of this FILTHY and EVIL behavior? It hasnt! It has gotten better BUT STILL EXIST. 

Our system of government was designed to abhor rapid change, because history shows rapid change is a destabilizing, usually violent affair. But, as you point out, the system has been improving slowly over time. Compare 2020 to 1962. Compare 1962 to 1995. So what you're seeing is the system working as intended. The arc of history bends towards justice, not injustice. You either understand that fact, or -- due to your Marxist ideology -- you ignore it in favor of destroying something that's working. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Let me guess, you're planning to vote Biden?

I don't like either candidate but will vote for the lesser of two evils. Trump is only good for economic reasons. He is an EPIC FAIL in just about every other area. I wont sacrifice those other areas for the sake of a better economy than Biden can manage.

BTW. I am what you'd likely consider a "successful black man" making multiple six figures a year and living in a suburban neighborhood of Charlotte, NC. But I was born in the ghettos of Buffalo and have MANY first hand experiences to draw on. My mom joined the military when I was 3 and I lived the Army brat life until 12 when I went to live back in Buffalo until graduating with honors from Hutch Tech with a NYS Regents diploma and going on to study Civil Engineering ate RIT. I have a VERY DIVERSE group of friends and very knowledgeable on the experience of different races of Americans. I used to push this conversation in group settings throughout college and long after. Many of you who speak from your soap boxes of ignorance are CLUELESS of the black experience in America. All you know is what the media and the government feeds you. You are brainwashed. But guess what??? Seek and ye shall find. There are PLENTY of resources out there exposing the truth but many of you hide from and/or discredit it when you are forced to face it!

Many of you will refuse to acknowledge the might coincidence that once black people gained the rights to vote, the black incarceration rate SOARED. The laws which "freed us" always contained loopholes to allow the oppression to continue and the numbers prove those loopholes were weaponized throughout the past century PLUS and continue to be weaponized today! Here is a quick vid for those in here actually wanting to learn the TRUTH

19 minutes ago, StHustle said:

AGAIN mixing the point! I refuse to believe you all are this damn simple! Its not about specifically what he said regarding cutting taxes. That was a snippet to show the way he thinks. His strategy involved covert black oppression tactics. You should be ashamed for intentionally choosing to ignore what that audio clip shows and minimizing it. That is the problem with race relations in America today. THAT WAY OF THINKING. BLINDERS ON! IGNORE CLEAR RACIST AGENDAS! MAKE EXCUSES! TURN AND LOOK THE OTHER WAY.

WAKE UP!!!!

Don't bother debating with the racist pukes that populate this board....they are here for a reason...they have plenty of back up and this is a cesspool where their crap can exist....it smells so bad here the regulars can't tell the difference anymore.....they got 5 more months..

Lee Attwater was a long line of self proclaimed "rat effers"...Karl rove is a descendant ...he is everything the regulars here proclaim they are against ....but they aren't really...

Good job....will check out that Netflix doc....There is also an excellent Frontline on Attwater

Just now, StHustle said:

I don't like either candidate but will vote for the lesser of two evils.

Lesser of two evils? Based on your posting in this thread alone, that's Trump not Biden. 

* Biden, not Trump, authored the crime bill -- the piece of legislation that did more to tilt the system against brown, black, and poor folk than any other piece of legislation since reconstruction. 

* Biden, not Trump, worked side by side with actual segregationists. 

* Biden, not Trump, praised the confederate flag on the floor of Congress. 

* Biden, not Trump, eulogized a former KKK leader. 

Biden has been in power for over 40 years, and in that time he got rich building the systemic injustice you're railing about in this very thread. He made millions tilting the system not just against brown and black folk -- but the entire working class by selling out to the credit card companies, burying the working class in endless debt while Joe got rich. Biden had 8 years as the VP to the first black president and did nothing for this cause. Not a single bill, action, or piece of legislation. Why would he suddenly act differently this time? 

You have to be either deeply ignorant, deeply dishonest -- or too partisan to care about being either one of the former -- in order to stake the position you've staked out in this thread and then turn around and call Biden "the lesser of two evils".

• Like (+1) 5

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

Here is just a TINY nugget from the documentary. Listen to Lee Atwater, RONALD REGAN'S CAMPAIGN STRATEGIST caught on tape. This is not ancient history folks, dont be ignorant and think this same thinking isnt being applied even today. This is proof the politicians are very cognizant of needing to mask the oppressive system best they can but still carry on the American Way that has existed for centuries:

I'm sorry; however, I have no idea how you can extrapolate the comments Atwater made almost forty years ago into the existence of a currently similar oppressive system fueld by the same thinking. I don't believe the current government system, in that regard, is anything close to what it was 40-50 years ago.

I believe a history of racism created barriers to equal opportunities for black citizens for most of this country's existence. I believe racism still exists in this country. I believe the racism of today is not the racism in the time of Atwater, in the time of Martin Luther King, Jr, or in any time gong back throughout the history of this country. I believe progress is steadily being made and that more "real progress" has been made in the last 30 -40 years than in all of the time before that. 

I believe the opportunities for blacks, on an individual basis, are greater than they have ever been. I believe the opportunties of black communities to rise out of poverty, unemployment, and high levels of violent crime are as bleak as they have ever been.

Why the disparity between the two? Why can blacks in this country, as individuals, rise to any level they aspire, even the Presidency of the United States, arguably the most powerful position in all of the world; yet, black communities remain disproportionately plagued by poverty, unemployment, crime, and lack of hope for improvement.

I would argue it is because of ill designed and inadequately implemented solutions that were well meaning but, ultimately harmful. I would argue it is because black communities have been, and continue to be, used as pawns by politicians on both sides and so called "black leaders" as they vie for power. I would argue that it is because we have blurred the distinction between legitimate criticism of blacks within those communities with racism, to such a degree, that that there is no longer a distinction between the two, and legitimate criticism is no longer allowed. I would argue that the violent crime environment within black communities has led to almost "open warfare" between black males within the communities and between black males and the police. I beleive the hostility between law enforcement and black males is less about systemic racism than it is is about a sub culture that has been allowed to take hold and thrive within these communities at the expense of all the decent people that live there,.

I could continue to argue more reasons, because there are so many and they are so intertwined.

My point is, that none of my arguments are to deny the existence of racism. It is an argument against the idea of the pervasive, level of systemic racism, advanced by so many at the moment, as the primary problem.

There is enough culpability and responsibility to go around for everyone involved. It is time for the extreme voices to be silenced and the reasonable voices to come to the table.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Distort meaning.

Distort history.

Distort faith

Distort truth.

The above is her goal. She's pushing a message alright, just not one most would think.

Ava Duvernay ? ? ?Franklin Leonard? ? ? ?????? ?????

Edited by LB3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Serious question:

I support equality for all and smart changes for society.  I am fiercely private though, so I will not display any outward signs of my allegiance to this cause or any other ideology.  If you talk to me individually, you know where I stand.  Does this make me racist in your eyes?

Edited by 123719bwiqrb

28 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Lesser of two evils? Based on your posting in this thread alone, that's Trump not Biden. 

* Biden, not Trump, authored the crime bill -- the piece of legislation that did more to tilt the system against brown, black, and poor folk than any other piece of legislation since reconstruction. 

* Biden, not Trump, worked side by side with actual segregationists. 

* Biden, not Trump, praised the confederate flag on the floor of Congress. 

* Biden, not Trump, eulogized a former KKK leader. 

Biden has been in power for over 40 years, and in that time he got rich building the systemic injustice you're railing about in this very thread. He made millions tilting the system not just against brown and black folk -- but the entire working class by selling out to the credit card companies, burying the working class in endless debt while Joe got rich. Biden had 8 years as the VP to the first black president and did nothing for this cause. Not a single bill, action, or piece of legislation. Why would he suddenly act differently this time? 

You have to be either deeply ignorant, deeply dishonest -- or too partisan to care about being either one of the former -- in order to stake the position you've staked out in this thread and then turn around and call Biden "the lesser of two evils".

And here we are once again using an old clip to try and prove systemic racism yet ignore the truly racist crap the Biden's, Kennedy's, Byrd's, Clinton's, and so many other Democrats have been doing right in front of their face for decades. Then even have the audacity to blame Republicans for problems in the cities that have been Democrat now for decades!

Yet every single one of the people complaining are going to go to the polls again this November and vote those same people back into office again.

Someone remind me again the definition of insanity?

• Like (+1) 4

20 hours ago, StHustle said:

Will definitely watch. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt I'll be actually shocked by anything. At this point in my life, I've been exposed to a lot of the bad and good attributed to various levels of humanity. I've also traveled a ton and the USA is still the best country I've been to. Its not the only great country, but I can't put any others above it.

Two questions just because I'm curious to hear the answer. I got nothing against you and I'm not trying to provoke you.

1. Is it okay if a "white" person simply keeps supporting minorities, like through their voting, but doesn't go out of their way to get involved or be vocal about it? I really don't mind being self-involved. Just trying to live a good life along with my family, you know?

2. Why are only "white" people being called out? Being "white" feels like its becoming a weird stigma, even among a growing number of "whites." I think we can use our words better. In general, I'm against calling out colors of any race. It's not natural to me.

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Will definitely watch. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt I'll be actually shocked by anything. At this point in my life, I've been exposed to a lot of the bad and good attributed to various levels of humanity. I've also traveled a ton and the USA is still the best country I've been to. Its not the only great country, but I can't put any others above it.

Two questions just because I'm curious to hear the answer. I got nothing against you and I'm not trying to provoke you.

1. Is it okay if a "white" person simply keeps supporting minorities, like through their voting, but doesn't go out of their way to get involved or be vocal about it? I really don't mind being self-involved. Just trying to live a good life along with my family, you know?

2. Why are only "white" people being called out? Being "white" feels like its becoming a weird stigma, even among a growing number of "whites." I think we can use our words better. In general, I'm against calling out colors of any race. It's not natural to me.

Please let me know after watching if anything shocked you. I would love an honest take.

1. It's perfectly fine in my book if you make an impact by simply not adding to the problem. I understand what you mean about not being vocal or overtly involved because that's probably not your personality. What I do ask is that you dont look the other way if you witness a racist situation. Silence is compliance. If you are against racism, let it be known when racists get too comfortable around you and feel it's ok to express their hateful and damaging views. If you can muster it, call them out on their very knowledge of racial history in America and let them now that racism is ignorant.

I seldomly hear any black person express negative views about white people outside of communicating their anger towards oppression. It almost always stems from that...feeling like we dont get treated equally. But in the rare cases I hear true racist remarks I always say something. There are plenty of good white folks in this country and many are simply miseducated by design so they can feel ok with accepting the racism that gets passed down from generation to generation. Nobody comes out the womb a horrible person. They are taught that. I can understand the position of a young racist who was raised by ignorant parents. The same system that is the primary culprit to black people feeling like we dont get the same fair shake because of the color of our skin, is the same culprit system that feeds into the white supremacist mindsets that racists have. But once you become a full blown adult its WAKE UP TIME. No more excuses for being however you were raised. Eventually you have to think for yourself and not like your parents and make the needed adjustments. 

It's hard for me to watch the absolutely horrific way your race treated mine for hundreds of years and accept the idea that white people are just a naturally evil and hateful race. Its not even human to be able to commit the acts that were committed, many times in mob settings by groups of whites who would murder blacks for the pettiest of offenses, and go home and sleep well at night. That's taught! 

2. These are the labels created by your people and is what simply has become the official way we describe each other. I'm not too fond of it either but it is what it is. I dont see that ever changing. 

Bottom line here is problems dont fix themselves. They also dont dissapear by being ignored. There has never been a time in history where the US government collectively shown interest in truly ending systemic oppression. That documentary breaks it down beautifully. But just know...we dont have to wait around for the government to do anything. WE THE PEOPLE force the change!!!

58 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Please let me know after watching if anything shocked you. I would love an honest take.

1. It's perfectly fine in my book if you make an impact by simply not adding to the problem. I understand what you mean about not being vocal or overtly involved because that's probably not your personality. What I do ask is that you dont look the other way if you witness a racist situation. Silence is compliance. If you are against racism, let it be known when racists get too comfortable around you and feel it's ok to express their hateful and damaging views. If you can muster it, call them out on their very knowledge of racial history in America and let them now that racism is ignorant.

I seldomly hear any black person express negative views about white people outside of communicating their anger towards oppression. It almost always stems from that...feeling like we dont get treated equally. But in the rare cases I hear true racist remarks I always say something. There are plenty of good white folks in this country and many are simply miseducated by design so they can feel ok with accepting the racism that gets passed down from generation to generation. Nobody comes out the womb a horrible person. They are taught that. I can understand the position of a young racist who was raised by ignorant parents. The same system that is the primary culprit to black people feeling like we dont get the same fair shake because of the color of our skin, is the same culprit system that feeds into the white supremacist mindsets that racists have. But once you become a full blown adult its WAKE UP TIME. No more excuses for being however you were raised. Eventually you have to think for yourself and not like your parents and make the needed adjustments. 

It's hard for me to watch the absolutely horrific way your race treated mine for hundreds of years and accept the idea that white people are just a naturally evil and hateful race. Its not even human to be able to commit the acts that were committed, many times in mob settings by groups of whites who would murder blacks for the pettiest of offenses, and go home and sleep well at night. That's taught! 

2. These are the labels created by your people and is what simply has become the official way we describe each other. I'm not too fond of it either but it is what it is. I dont see that ever changing. 

Bottom line here is problems dont fix themselves. They also dont dissapear by being ignored. There has never been a time in history where the US government collectively shown interest in truly ending systemic oppression. That documentary breaks it down beautifully. But just know...we dont have to wait around for the government to do anything. WE THE PEOPLE force the change!!!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, StHustle said:

This is an interesting stance to me. I think its an easy change when you consider how fluid language is. Labels are so fragile. It seems like labeling based on skin color is a big part of the collective mentality and contributes to the problem.

The rest of your response mostly makes sense to me. I see people with the "your silence indicates your side" mentality, which is not a stable stance to take IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Well dopey liberal white people are pretty, well, horrible.