'13th' A Netflix Documentary

Would you be willing to watch a factual documentary about post slavery America that shows it's truly ugly side?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be willing to watch the Netflix documentary '13th' and learn some things you CERTAINLY never knew about America?

• Yes, I am willing to learn things that may even make me uncomfortable.
    • No, it's the past and shouldn't be a big deal. It has zero effect on today's America.
    • I am sure I already know every thing that's in the doc, no need to watch
    • I really don't care about the terrible things America has done and don't want to hear any more about it!

15 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

It's interesting how people who hold his viewpoint insist that "white people" or "you people" don't make generalities, and yet the entire foundation of their argument is based on generalities.

The foundation of the main arguments associated with the protests aren't based on generalities.

That's why using generalities isn't effective.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Jaraxxus said:

"white people have privilege. Unless they admit their racism as defined by us, they are racists."

Don't forget that silence (or, you know, not wanting to get involved) means you're a double racist.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 2:12 AM, StHustle said:

**IF YOU ARE WHITE AND THINK SYSTEMIC RACISM IS A MYTH, GO WATCH THE NETFLIX DOCUMENTARY '13TH'. ITS FILLED WITH VERIFIABLE FACTS THAT WILL FINALLY OPEN YOUR EYES & ITS MAINLY TOLD BY WHITE PEOPLE. HERE IS A SHORT ONE MINUTE CLIP **

Many whites become uncomfortable with giving any sort of thought that their country isnt the squeaky clean 'Home of the Free' and 'Greatest Country on Earth' that they want to believe it to be. I wanted to get the ALL CAPS info out first because many wont make it through this entire post. In fact, I have probably already lost a decent percentage. This is for the people who want TRUTH. The REAL, unadulterated TRUTH. Not some conspiracy theory, or something made up in peoples heads, but actual factual information that any intelligent being would  digest and reach the same conclusion that once you realize the way America has done black people throughout history, coupled with the number of old white men still in power, one can only surmise that it would be near impossible to claim that all remnants of black oppression has been cleaned from law and a system designed with holding back the black man in mind. BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO LEARN WHAT HISTORY CLASS WOULDNT DARE TEACH YOU!!!!

So at this present time of a sudden awakening of my white brethren...many white folks I associate with have reached out to me after seeing my Facebook posts (which basically called out any white people I know to choose a side, either commit to being a part of the problem or the solution) and would ask what they can do to be part of the solution. I tell all of them the same thing; "Go watch the Netflix documentary '13th' and come back and tell me what you think." I must say...Im SHOCKED but yet not at all surprised the number coming back to me saying they had no idea about most of what happened. As a black man, who grew up with parents who forced me to learn the REAL HISTORY of America, I am just now fully realizing that most white people my age and younger are mostly CLUELESS about the real history of this country as it relates to its dealing with my people. 

This has caused me to have an epiphany...many white folks I once deemed racist are actually just ignorant. They have been fooled and miseducated by the same system designed to oppress black people in this country. I challenge all white people who have a hard time believing the claims of black people about what we deal with in a society as a whole to watch this documentary. Realize why black people, especially black men were intentionally criminalized in the media and intentionally skewed data. But that only if you want real truth. Those who wish to remain in their comfort zone of ignorance will do so regardless, and thats the worst type of racist of them all.

(sorry for any typos or grammar mistakes, I normally proof read posts this long but its too late for that. Im sure you get my point)

I want to start by saying I appreciate your willingness to have an open discussion even if I don't appreciate your approach.

I watched it and was and was not impressed. I feel comfortable saying without reservation that this was not an informative documentary but rather a political propaganda piece.

I was already familiar with most of the subject matter beforehand. There were a small handful of things I wasn't specifically aware of, but most of the things I had specific knowledge of were littered with  mischaracterizations and/or outright lies.

It would take hours to address them all ,but I'll point out two that were particularly egregious.

1. Trayvon Martin - This segment was an absolute travesty. The entire incident was grossly misrepresented, and the focus of the extended segment was on "stand your ground" laws, which had no bearing to the case.

This isn't my opinion, it's incontrovertible fact. Zimmerman forewent the "stand your ground" hearing.

The media talked about it a lot, but it had no bearing on the case. Yet this segment claims it as true and further claims it illustrates the horror of a law they claim is inherently racist. Then they spin it into a whole bit about how Wal Mart, ALEC, etc. pushed this "racist" law to sell guns. The whole thing was an absolute farce.

2. Donald Trump - The bulk of the "documentary" was about over criminalization within the Federal court system, but they never once mention that President Trump pushed for and signed the prison reform bill. That's not educating the audience, it's selectively reporting only that which supports the narrative.

Even worse was the absolutely disgusting piece where they played clips of President Trump making statements about throwing violent agitators (most of whom were white) out of his rallies over a montage of blacks being punched, pushed, and arrested, to falsely imply that he long's for the days when the uppity blacks would catch a beating for acting up. That level of dishonesty is disgraceful.

These are just two examples of many, but as the saying goes, Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus (false in one, false in all). If they're lying about the things I can verify, it is fair to assume they're lying about everything.

If you have to lie to make your point you don't have one.

If these are the types of sources you get your information from, and these are the narratives you believe, we don't necessarily have a difference of opinion. We're commenting on separate sets of facts.

As Ronald Reagan once said, it's not that liberals are stupid, it's that they know so much that isn't true.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I want to start by saying I appreciate your willingness to have an open discussion even if I don't appreciate your approach.

I watched it and was and was not impressed. I feel comfortable saying without reservation that this was not an informative documentary but rather a political propaganda piece.

I was already familiar with most of the subject matter beforehand. There were a small handful of things I wasn't specifically aware of, but most of the things I had specific knowledge of were littered with  mischaracterizations and/or outright lies.

It would take hours to address them all ,but I'll point out two that were particularly egregious.

1. Trayvon Martin - This segment was an absolute travesty. The entire incident was grossly misrepresented, and the focus of the extended segment was on "stand your ground" laws, which had no bearing to the case.

This isn't my opinion, it's incontrovertible fact. Zimmerman forewent the "stand your ground" hearing.

The media talked about it a lot, but it had no bearing on the case. Yet this segment claims it as true and further claims it illustrates the horror of a law they claim is inherently racist. Then they spin it into a whole bit about how Wal Mart, ALEC, etc. pushed this "racist" law to sell guns. The whole thing was an absolute farce.

2. Donald Trump - The bulk of the "documentary" was about over criminalization within the Federal court system, but they never once mention that President Trump pushed for and signed the prison reform bill. That's not educating the audience, it's selectively reporting only that which supports the narrative.

Even worse was the absolutely disgusting piece where they played clips of President Trump making statements about throwing violent agitators (most of whom were white) out of his rallies over a montage of blacks being punched, pushed, and arrested, to falsely imply that he long's for the days when the uppity blacks would catch a beating for acting up. That level of dishonesty is disgraceful.

These are just two examples of many, but as the saying goes, Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus (false in one, false in all). If they're lying about the things I can verify, it is fair to assume they're lying about everything.

If you have to lie to make your point you don't have one.

If these are the types of sources you get your information from, and these are the narratives you believe, we don't necessarily have a difference of opinion. We're commenting on separate sets of facts.

As Ronald Reagan once said, it's not that liberals are stupid, it's that they know so much that isn't true.

The OP quickly gained the type of reputation here than it was a no brainer to ignore anything he posted. 

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

The OP quickly gained the type of reputation here than it was a no brainer to ignore anything he posted. 

I don't want to be too hard on him. I like him on the main board. I'm guessing he's not one to follow politics in depth and probably came here with sincere intentions, if not the best tact.

At least he's willing to engage. Most of the woke warriors are afraid to venture down here, or if they do just drop in for snarky hit and run posts. If he wants to have a real discussion I'm happy to engage him.

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/12/2020 at 7:39 PM, Rob's House said:

I don't want to be too hard on him. I like him on the main board. I'm guessing he's not one to follow politics in depth and probably came here with sincere intentions, if not the best tact.

At least he's willing to engage. Most of the woke warriors are afraid to venture down here, or if they do just drop in for snarky hit and run posts. If he wants to have a real discussion I'm happy to engage him.

Hey man I can appreciate your point of view and understand that some segments of the doc were reaching but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

1. Trayvon Martin...regardless of the specifics...and I understand Zimmerman wasnt white...but I'm curious of your opinion on if it were a black man who did that to a 17 year old white boy, what would have been the outcome. Again, that doesn't address what you pointed out about the video but I'm curious as to what you think about that scenario.

2. I have a very diverse group of friends. I grew up an army brat for most my childhood and attended Hutch Tech in Buffalo for High School then RIT for college. I know plenty of non black people who dont have a racist bone in their body. However what I also learned was that many were unaware of so much of the history of the American government creating laws that were intended to hold back African Americans or how many KKk members were in Congress or how so much of this culture remains in covert form. There is a very high percentage of white people who simply refuse to believe that systemic racism is a real thing. My point with this video was to open some eyes to historical facts that they may have not been aware of so truth can be accepted. Hard to have real change with many ignoring the truth. The last few months has been BEAUTIFUL in regards to many non African Americans willing and wanting to educate themselves on these matters and coming to realize it isn't something created in our minds but is actually reality. I dont even fault many whites because it's hard to believe something to be real of you never saw it or experienced it. At the same time there are many who have saw it but chose to ignore it as their way of dealing with a shameful truth. We as a people look forward to the day it is understood that silence is equal to condoning and makes them part of the problem when that happens. 

Anyway I dont wanna keep babbling...hope I cleared up my thoughts and views. I havent been on the boards that much lately...just wanted to respond to you as my latest notification. 

Be blessed.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:21 PM, Rob's House said:

Donald Trump - The bulk of the "documentary" was about over criminalization within the Federal court system, but they never once mention that President Trump pushed for and signed the prison reform bill. That's not educating the audience, it's selectively reporting only that which supports the narrative.

Oh and lastly, this doc was released in 2016 so that reform bill didnt exist yet

On 6/17/2020 at 6:41 AM, Jaraxxus said:

So you start a conversation with white people you know with an ultimatum? I'd have told you to get bent. Also "cutting taxes" isn't a "racist dogwhistle" no matter how much you insist it is.

Also, nice poll options. 'how long have you been beating your local black man, whitey?"

The upper classes use racism to divide the common people so that they can keep taxes low. Those poor whites in red states that don't have health insurance are more victims of racism than many. Mitch McConnell is a perfect example of a corporate stooge 

In 1851 our President--Milliard Fillmore of Buffalo--had signed the Fugitive Slave Law. When there was resistance at Christiana Pennsylvania and a white man was killed, the country flipped out. Fillmore called out the Marines, sent federal marshals into PA and charged over 30 individuals with treason! It was treason that a black man had killed a white man. Treason! That's our history 

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-christiana-riot

10 hours ago, StHustle said:

Hey man I can appreciate your point of view and understand that some segments of the doc were reaching but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

1. Trayvon Martin...regardless of the specifics...and I understand Zimmerman wasnt white...but I'm curious of your opinion on if it were a black man who did that to a 17 year old white boy, what would have been the outcome. Again, that doesn't address what you pointed out about the video but I'm curious as to what you think about that scenario.

2. I have a very diverse group of friends. I grew up an army brat for most my childhood and attended Hutch Tech in Buffalo for High School then RIT for college. I know plenty of non black people who dont have a racist bone in their body. However what I also learned was that many were unaware of so much of the history of the American government creating laws that were intended to hold back African Americans or how many KKk members were in Congress or how so much of this culture remains in covert form. There is a very high percentage of white people who simply refuse to believe that systemic racism is a real thing. My point with this video was to open some eyes to historical facts that they may have not been aware of so truth can be accepted. Hard to have real change with many ignoring the truth. The last few months has been BEAUTIFUL in regards to many non African Americans willing and wanting to educate themselves on these matters and coming to realize it isn't something created in our minds but is actually reality. I dont even fault many whites because it's hard to believe something to be real of you never saw it or experienced it. At the same time there are many who have saw it but chose to ignore it as their way of dealing with a shameful truth. We as a people look forward to the day it is understood that silence is equal to condoning and makes them part of the problem when that happens. 

Anyway I dont wanna keep babbling...hope I cleared up my thoughts and views. I havent been on the boards that much lately...just wanted to respond to you as my latest notification. 

Be blessed.

Oh and lastly, this doc was released in 2016 so that reform bill didnt exist yet

Do you like having white suburbanites causing chaos and violence in the name of BLM?

11 hours ago, StHustle said:

One cannot look at an instance of violence "regardless of the specifics." That is one of the problems when discussing issues of violence against blacks by law enforcement or non-blacks. If a black is a victim of violence, it is race first, "regardless of the specifics."  However, it is precisely the specifics that tell us what happened, why it happened, and if it was justified or not.

As for your hypothetical question, it is just that: hypothetical. There are violent crimes committed by blacks against whites every day in this country, and the outcomes depend on the specifics of the crimes. You might find this hard to believe; however, there are defendants in those crimes acquitted as well. It is interesting that these crimes do not get much, if any, national media exposure. In any given year, approximately 23% of victims of police killings are blacks. Which means, approximately 77% are non-black and approx 52% are white. Yet, when was the last time you saw a police killing of a non-black in the national media? Do you ever wonder why that is?

1 hour ago, westside2 said:

There is a very high percentage of white people who simply refuse to believe that systemic racism is a real thing. My point with this video was to open some eyes to historical facts that they may have not been aware of so truth can be accepted. Hard to have real change with many ignoring the truth. The last few months has been BEAUTIFUL in regards to many non African Americans willing and wanting to educate themselves on these matters and coming to realize it isn't something created in our minds but is actually reality. I dont even fault many whites because it's hard to believe something to be real of you never saw it or experienced it. At the same time there are many who have saw it but chose to ignore it as their way of dealing with a shameful truth.

The entire premise of current systemic racism and "white priviledge" rests on the sweeping generalizations that white people either (1) do not have the capacity to discern differences among human conditions; to distinguish between just and unjust behaviors, policies, etc.; to educate themselves in these matters; or to actively intervene or change these things on their own without being led by those who are more "enlightened" or (2) are so indifferent to, or, worse, propononents of, injustice, oppression, and suffering of others based soley on skin color, that they literally need to be forced to change.

Honestly, I don't know which of these two options is more offensive.

Again, I am more than willing to engage in honest discussions about racism. However, it seems that the starting point for any such discussion must include the initial acceptance of all terms set by one side of the discussion.

Edited by billsfan1959

16 hours ago, StHustle said:

Be blessed.

I appreciate your response. I'll address your points in order.

1. I think if Trayvon Martin were white, Zimmerman would never have been charged and no one outside of Seminole County would have ever heard about it. The way this case was reported was as dishonest as anything I can recall seeing up to that point in time. It demonstrates how the media is effectively coordinated to advance a narrative to create racial tension.

Had the story been accurately reported at the outset it would have picked up little to no traction, so we were told a fairy tale of an innocent little boy skipping and frolicking with a skittles and some tea when he was hunted down and executed for being black. A far more accurate description would have been as follows:

An Hispanic civilian called the police on a 17 year old male who he believed was acting suspicious. When the suspect noticed him he fled. While on the phone with police, the civilian briefly ran after him to see where he was going before giving up. The suspect then returned and confronted the man as he was returning to his car. A scuffle ensued in which the suspect broke the man's nose, drove him to the ground, and began slamming his head into the concrete sidewalk. At that point, the man lying helplessly on his back being attacked, withdrew a firearm he was legally carrying,  and shot his attacker.

You may quibble with the interpretations and framing, but that is essentially what happened. This is confirmed by independent eye-witness testimony, forensic reports, Zimmerman's injuries, and the area where the confrontation occurred. You may still take issue with Zimmerman's behavior, but this cannot honestly be described as an innocent boy being hunted down and executed for being black. But that was the narrative. When it fell apart they grasped at straws, like the fact that Zimmerman didn't instantly stop when the dispatcher told him he didn't need him to ascertain Martin's whereabouts. The implication is that if you call the cops on a black guy for acting suspicious he's entitled to beat you unmercifully and you're obligated to take it.

The fact that every picture we were shown of Martin was when he was 12 years old further shows the blatant attempt to misrepresent the facts and evoke emotion.

If you understand cognitive bias, you know that once that story is implanted in the mind of the viewer, the belief sustains even after the factual basis upon which it was formed is discredited. That was the purpose. This was not about justice for Trayvon, nor was it about exposing systemic racism. It was about creating the false perception that black boys are hunted for sport without fear of consequences. When people expose the truth, the truth speaks for itself. If they have to lie and misrepresent what happened, there is always a nefarious purpose.

2. This goes to the heart of the problem. Just as the Trayvon Martin story was misrepresented, so much of history is equally misrepresented. I think most people know the general history of things, but again, so much of what is now being peddled is so blatantly dishonest that it is hard to tell the fact from the fiction. The true story of this history is compelling enough without having to sensationalize it, but that's what they do. You can tell the story of slavery, Jim Crow, segregation, and the civil rights movement without resorting to dishonesty, but they're not satisfied with the truth. They have to massage it. It's important to contemplate why they would do that.

The same is true of "systemic racism." Aside from the fact that the term is so nebulous that it is hard to tell what it even means, the case that is made in the media is so sensationalized and one-sided that we are arguably less informed for learning it than if we knew nothing of it at all. It's like Jefferson said, he who reads only newspapers is less educated than he who reads nothing at all.

Think of all the people you know of different races that aren't racist, and don't see the systemic racism we're told is pervasive. The fact that they don't see it shouldn't be automatically discounted. One may wonder why something that is so prevalent can so easily elude the perception of so many. It certainly doesn't make them racist to have skepticism regarding an assertion they have not seen evidence for.

All too often the only evidence we are provided are these misrepresented stories, like Trayvon Martin, and re-tellings of stories from the distant past, which attempt to peer pressure or guilt us into believing something in lieu of providing evidence.  The fact that questioning the doctrine is labelled as racist is cause for more skepticism, not less. People who have evidence readily provide it, they don't demonize those who ask to see it before accepting a premise on faith.

The average white guy has little tolerance for injustice against people of any race. But how can I stand against something I cannot see? It's like when my son wants me to help him fight off the invisible villains that are attacking his imaginary fort. I don't know what or who I'm supposed to be fighting. I'm not even saying that all the racism you speak of is imaginary, but racism isn't some abstract force that exists in the ether. It is necessarily something that must be felt and/or imposed by man. If I do not know who the racists are or how they are imposing their racism upon others, I can no more help to stem its effects than I can the imaginary villains.

This is why I appreciate the handful of people such as yourself who are willing to have an open and honest dialogue, because if these things really are as prevalent as we are told I would like to do what I can to address them, but I've seen little to nothing in the media that is helpful on this front, and I've been paying attention. Rather, I've seen an abundance of condescension and demonization of anyone who questions this narrative. That isn't helpful. Why can't they provide me with substantive answers?

All of this leads me to believe that racism towards minorities in America is not a major obstacle any longer. I'm sure there are racist people, as there will always be racist people of all colors until the end of time, but I think that is the minority, and most of the racism that does exist is wildly overstated. If it were so pervasive I think we'd hear more concrete, present-day evidence. When I see the same people pushing this narrative telling me that supporting President Trump renders one a racist, I have a hard time believing anything else they say.

I also think the growing acceptance of anti-white racism is both disturbing and counter-productive. It makes people such as myself less inclined to consider the plight of others when I'm worried about the future of my own children. When roughly half of black America has a favorable opinion of Louis Farrakhan, who openly views the white race as evil, inferior people, it does not endear me to the cause. Why should I be all that concerned about people who hate me? I understand this isn't all black people, but the majority of those who are most aggressive about this seem to be the same ones who support Farrakhan.

Unlike President Trump, with Farrakhan you don't have to go back over 40+ years and twist and contort to find a way to argue he's racist. His plain words given their plain meaning, that have been amazingly consistent for decades, are unambiguously racist in a very overt way.

I don't hold you responsible for the beliefs of others who may look like you, but it's hard for me to get too sanctimonious about allegations of covert racism when the same people claiming I have an affirmative duty to address a phenomenon I'm scarcely aware of are endorsing messages of hatred against me and mine when I've never done anything to them. I appreciate the handful of black folks who actually speak out against this sentiment, but the Nick Cannon incident is a perfect example of how prevalent the anti-white sentiment is. Forgetting the fact that he got a minor slap on the wrist for saying white people were evil, subhuman scum, countless high-profile black folks came out in support of him, and defended him for stating "the truth." I can think of only a handful who spoke out against him. He was allowed back into the mainstream without even acknowledging those statements (he only apologized for the anti-Semitic portion).

Nick Cannon himself is irrelevant, but this goes deeper than just his opinion, or even the groundswell of support he got for his overt racism. We're constantly told that "systemic racism" is based on a power structure, and that white people have all the power, but this flies in the face of that theory. There is no monolithic group of "white people." You have more power and protections in this society than I do, and Nick Cannon has far more than I could ever hope to have. No white man could say anything similar to what he did and remain in a highly-visible position. If I posted the same on social media about black people I would have a hard time finding work, my children would be mercilessly bullied and harassed, and I would be doxxed rendering my home unsafe. You would have no such concerns.

Just as you do not want to see your children marginalized for their race, I do not want that for mine either. And I'm not laying this entirely on the black community because there are a lot of black folks that do not subscribe to this anti-white sentiment, and there are an astounding number of white people who mysteriously do (I suppose they think they'll always get a woke pass). I don't see this as black v. white. I see it as left v. right, and the left is exploiting the race issue because it needs conflict to gain power. In fact, I blame white leftists more than any black figures, because I believe they are the ones that are doing everything in their power to convince the black community that white people are their enemy, which is absolutely preposterous.

The fact that half the government and almost all of corporate America are pushing this agenda with everything they have should be the first tell. No one actually believes that Amazon, Google, Netflix, Facebook, Comcast, etc., or the Democrat party genuinely gives a runny ***** about the poor, oppressed, and downtrodden, much less minorities. But they're all backing this in full force. Everyone should think real long and hard about why that is. I guarantee it's not for your benefit, nor mine. They are the rich and powerful who for all intents and purposes control the government and stand to benefit from a strong ruling class because they are part of that class.

They are the ones pushing the narrative, just as they produced this "documentary." Their goal is not to inform, but to inflame passions and create conflict and strife. They frame the narrative to be viewed retrospectively through an ethnocentric lens looking back from the vantage point of today, rather than going back 500 years and looking forward from the lens of that time. The fact that we have an integrated society with as much acceptance of those of different race, religion, and ethnicity is fairly amazing. But we take all progress for granted.

We compare our current situation to our imagined ideal of perfection, rather than comparing it to all societies throughout history, and all other countries that currently exist in the world. Making perfection the goal to work towards is fine, but it is not a realistic expectation, nor is it wise to demonize all that falls short of that ideal. Essentially, those pushing this narrative want to discount all the good, focus only on the bad, and as you said, throw the baby out with the bath water.

To think about it a different way, look at you and me. There is no rational reason why we should have any serious conflict. We know each other only through a message board discussing our football team, and our only friction may be over who we think should start on Sunday. Your success in life does not detrimentally affect me and vice versa. In fact, it is to our mutual benefit that each other succeed. The only exception to that is where we are both in direct competition within our professional markets,  but even in that case neither is more or less a threat than any other competitor of any color. America is not a zero sum game where one must lose for the other to win. Rather, in the macroeconomic scheme of things, when one wins we all win.

I point this out in hopes that you and others may see that we are not enemies, and anyone who tries to cast us as such is the real enemy, and one who should not be trusted. We can learn from the past and each other, and hope to better understand each other's perspectives and experiences, but we cannot browbeat another into understanding. You may force one to pretend to understand, but understanding is not born of intimidation. It is only achievable through open and honest discourse.

Edited by Rob's House
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2