A Safe Space for Racists to Discuss Salmon and Other Recipes

4 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I know. I know. He was very new to it and chose whole chicken. I’ve never smoked chicken; but realize that it can be very difficult to keep moist if not done correctly.

The best things to smoke in my are large fatty cuts of meat like brisket or pork butt.  The fat give it great flavor.  The challenge is you need to be very patient because it takes all day.  And chicken is a challenge.  There is a fine line between juicy and flavorful and bland and dry.  Chicken is better on a rotisserie than a smoker.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Is it on the level of "can't screw this up" like a crock-pot?  Whereas, grilling can be fairly easily screwed up if you have your temps and times off by even a little...

It is pretty easy, I think easier than grilling. Mine is propane and I set the temperature I want and put what I am smoking in the smoker for a specified time, like a crock pot. For instance, I like to do a 6 to 7 lb brisket every once in a while. I do a rub mixture over the entire outside (plenty of rub recipes on the internet), use apple wood chips, set the temp at 225, and put the brisket in for about 4-5 hours. Take it out, wrap it in foil and put it back in for a few more hours.

Falls apart.

• Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I want some filet mignon now.

Funny you mention....that's what I have teed up for tonight on the grill.   Consider my privilege acknowledged!

1 hour ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Side note, does anyone use pour beer in the pan if they slow cook ribs?  I did it for the first time during the quarantine and it was awesome.  I usually cook the ribs at about 275 for 3 hours and keep them covered the whole time with foil.  I pour 1 can of beer in the pan and it really adds a nice flavor.

Ok, good advice, I'll look into it.  Thanks

I haven't done ribs in a while, last few times I used the 3-2-1 method over lower heat (~225).   Sometimes they don't need the full last hour.

Edited by KD in CA
  • Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

The best things to smoke in my are large fatty cuts of meat like brisket or pork butt.  The fat give it great flavor.  The challenge is you need to be very patient because it takes all day.  And chicken is a challenge.  There is a fine line between juicy and flavorful and bland and dry.  Chicken is better on a rotisserie than a smoker.  

I absolutely agree. I only ever smoke beef and pork. Grill, bake etc most everything else. I’m no chef by any stretch of the imagination but; I do most of the cooking for the family and I do pretty damn good. I can’t seem to the get “dicing” down. I know you can get little contraptions to do it for you but I love the preparation that goes into something and prefer from scratch versus boxed/canned.  I try to get the whole Gordon Ramsey “fast knife dice” down but can never get a good rhythm and boom; lost it. 

Edited by The Guy In Pants

Just now, Jaraxxus said:

Isn't it great to be privileged? Though I'm not feeling too privileged, has meatloaf.

fetchimage.webp 82.26 kB · 1 download

It is, but I frequently struggle with my racist inability to let every POC know that my privilege has been fully acknowledged each day.   Maybe Facebook can add a feature to track this.

2 minutes ago, The Guy In Pants said:

I absolutely agree. I only ever smoke beef and pork. Grill, bake etc most everything else. I’m no chef by any stretch of the imagination but; I do most of the cooking for the family and I do pretty damn good. I can’t seem to the get “dicing” down. I know you can get little contraptions to do it for you but I love the preparation that goes into something and prefer from scratch versus boxed/canned.  I try to get the whole Gordon Ramsey “fast knife dice” down but can never get a good rhythm and boom; lost it. 

Knife skills are crucial.  That was the first thing they taught us at Culinary.   Most people hold their knife wrong.  With a chef's knife your hand is holding the blade more than the handle.  We were on vacation with friends.  Were going to BBQ some chicken.  We had four whole chickens that I quartered in about 2 minutes. He was "holy *****!!!  What did I just see here?"  And he is a great cook.  So in life you always want to make sure you have...

Knife skills

Bow hunting skills

Computer hacking skills.  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Funny you mention....that's what I have teed up for tonight on the grill.   Consider my privilege acknowledged!

I haven't done ribs in a while, last few times I used the 3-2-1 method over lower heat (~225).   Sometimes they don't need the full last hour.

Yeah I've noticed the last few times I've slow cooked ribs the last hour or so is almost inconsequential.  I sometimes check them at about 2 hours and they will already be falling off the bone.  I usually drain the pan and put Sweet Baby Rays on uncovered on like 450 for about 15 minutes to finish.  ***** is awesome.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

A good meatloaf...can be great.  Little pepper and onions on top with some spicy ketchup.  That's gold right there.

I worked at one of the top restaurants in Beverly Hills in the early 90's.  We were famous for our meatloaf.  

As kids the best was warm meatloaf sandwiches with melted Kraft cheese the next day. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

I worked at one of the top restaurants in Beverly Hills in the early 90's.  We were famous for our meatloaf.  

As kids the best was warm meatloaf sandwiches with melted Kraft cheese the next day. 

That sounds fng divine

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Loving beer can chicken these days just on the bbq with the little stand. Easy peasy.  I have bad luck with brisket on the smoker. Always comes out chewy even when it's on there for  10 hours or so. The first time I smoked one I got the cut from a real (brentwoodfinemeats)butcher but for the life of me I can't remember the cut. I know he gave me two options but I can't remember. It turned out great.  Anyway, I since have got the brisket from Costco and it just doesn't work for me. Makes me think it's not trimmed correctly or something to do with the cut.  Tried a couple times. 

57 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I wouldn't think that a top restaurant would be doing meatloaf. I mean, you really don't think of it as high end dining. Crazy. I really do like a good meatloaf though. Next day as a sandwich sounds pretty good as well. I think I would use a different cheese though ?

2 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:
2 hours ago, The Guy In Pants said:

Heard of instapot ribs with beer. Supposedly the bees knees but, I’ve never seen a bees knee let alone tasted one.

You have to sneak up on them.  Makes it way easier.

Me and a brother have 26 hives, I would pay to see this.... brave.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Loving beer can chicken these days just on the bbq with the little stand. Easy peasy.  I have bad luck with brisket on the smoker. Always comes out chewy even when it's on there for  10 hours or so. The first time I smoked one I got the cut from a real (brentwoodfinemeats)butcher but for the life of me I can't remember the cut. I know he gave me two options but I can't remember. It turned out great.  Anyway, I since have got the brisket from Costco and it just doesn't work for me. Makes me think it's not trimmed correctly or something to do with the cut.  Tried a couple times. 

I wouldn't think that a top restaurant would be doing meatloaf. I mean, you really don't think of it as high end dining. Crazy. I really do like a good meatloaf though. Next day as a sandwich sounds pretty good as well. I think I would use a different cheese though ?

It was the era when comfort food was a thing. We had and oyster bar with caviar, spit roasted leg of lamb, cioppino and meatloaf, kick ass chili and chicken in a pot (matzah ball soup).  Electra records and Castle Rock were upstairs and Virgin Records across the street. It was a very eclectic clientele. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Reminds me: As a kid, mom would make those frozen salsbury steaks in the aluminum tin. The steaks were devoured by us 5 kids then I'd come swooping in with a loaf of white bread to sop up that brown gravy.

See what I did there? :ph34r:

true story all the while.....

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Good job fellas, I thought for a moment there this thread was going to fall back into all that racist talk. 

I completely forgot. :D

8 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Love me some meatloaf. :thumbsup:

Meatloaf can be tricky.  I can never come close to what my mother did years ago.  Getting the right onion is an important part of getting it right.  If slicing does not make you well up like you were just hit by tear gas then chances are the onion is too weak.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Meatloaf can be tricky.  I can never come close to what my mother did years ago.  Getting the right onion is an important part of getting it right.  If slicing does not make you well up like you were just hit by tear gas then chances are the onion is too weak.

Hear that.

Mom's meatloaf made us all cry. Sadly, it wasn't because of the onion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cinga said:

Me and a brother have 26 hives, I would pay to see this.... brave.gif

Oh bother....:D

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don’t cook, so I do not, but.,,,.

Is it pronounced ‘sammin” or “sal-mun”?  I’ve been going with option 2 and it drives my kids crazy.  

sal-mun is plural

sound too much like rural? 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Maybe we can get him to add some other topics (music, books, movies, etc.) in the title. I’d hate to think we are just confined to recipes

As Phil Rosenthal said, food brings everyone together.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, meazza said:

As Phil Rosenthal said, food brings everyone together.

Meals were always big in our house. My mother was first generation here and for awhile, when I was a kid, we would spend a few months each summer in Rome with my grandparents. Mealtime there was awesome: Every morning I would ride the bus to the market with my grandfather to pick out food for the day. My grandmother would prepare these amazing meals for lunch and dinner for about fifteen people

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Meals were always big in our house. My mother was first generation here and for awhile, when I was a kid, we would spend a few months each summer in Rome with my grandparents. Mealtime there was awesome: Every morning I would ride the bus to the market with my grandfather to pick out food for the day. My grandmother would prepare these amazing meals for lunch and dinner for about fifteen people

Food is life.

Just now, meazza said:

Food is life.

Amen, brother. I still make homemade sauce once a month - but I can never seem to quite get the taste of what my grandmother made

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

That did make me laugh out loud.

Yeah, I’ll give props to Gary for that. Pretty funny ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Amen, brother. I still make homemade sauce once a month - but I can never seem to quite get the taste of what my grandmother made

Same here.  My mom still makes my favorite pasta for my wife and I every couple of months.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, meazza said:

Have you been to Japan? I don't believe I've ever enjoyed a culinary experience like my trip to Japan.

I have not. But one of the best culinary experience I had was a three hour sushi fest at O Ya in Boston.  

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Hear that.

Mom's meatloaf made us all cry. Sadly, it wasn't because of the onion. 

Now that my mother has been gone for a while now it is very apparent just how good a cook she was.  Growing up I remember other kids dreading supper but for me it was the highlight of the day.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1