SI Article: forget about sports this year

19 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a lot of "what ifs" to manage, but we can't shut down until 2021

However, of all the businesses vital to restart, spectator sports are probably down the list. 

Oh trust me I'm not on board with that. That was more in response to chongli who said we ween't leaving our houses any time soon.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:35 AM, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

Yeah, unless this virus is miraculously wiped out this summer by natural or synthetic means which is highly unlikely all this talk of sports starting back up is just that, talk. A lot of overly optimistic hot air. The logistics are just too daunting when you start really seriously thinking about it and all the ramifications.

As the article says a vaccine is the key. Who knows how long the development and distribution of such will take. I’ve heard anywhere from this fall until this time next year, but no one really knows.

No one wants to fathom the idea of no sports until 2021, but it sure is getting to look like that could be the way this thing ultimately shakes out.

Figures just when our Bills team is ready to make some serious noise the whole thing gets put on hold. Guess we can plan to add “no season” to the list of frustrating moments for our favorite sports teams.

The article is wrong in stating there needs to be a vaccine to restart the leagues- the TV money is so great that the leagues- can play without fans and still be profitable. The leagues also do not want people to realize that sports are superfluous to their happiness- not my happiness but other people's.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The article is wrong in stating there needs to be a vaccine to restart the leagues- the TV money is so great that the leagues- can play without fans and still be profitable. The leagues also do not want people to realize that sports are superfluous to their happiness- not my happiness but other people's.

I may be of a minority when I say the moral of our country is lifted by sporting events.

Its how I truly feel...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

I may be of a minority when I say the moral of our country is lifted by sporting events.

Its how I truly feel...

I do not want speak for others but my spirits are definitely lifted by sports, but I do think we are the minority but this forum might be a bad place to determine that.?

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I do not want speak for others but my spirits are definitely lifted by sports, but I do think we are the minority but this forum might be a bad place to determine that.?

True that,

We're talking die hard Bills fans here on TBD for the most part.

I will say this though, the thought of Josh Allens health getting compromised by something that could have long term implications does not set well with me.

We love our team, almost like family to some of us right? 

So I want our team to play If and WHEN its safe...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, chongli said:

I respect your opinion, but there will not be a season this fall. COVID-19 has now been demonstrated to cause damage to the liver, kidneys, heart, neurological system, eyes, and blood:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/coronavirus-destroys-lungs-but-doctors-are-finding-its-damage-in-kidneys-hearts-and-elsewhere/2020/04/14/7ff71ee0-7db1-11ea-a3ee-13e1ae0a3571_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-banner-main_virusorgans-8am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans&itid=hp_hp-banner-main_virusorgans-8am%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

No one is leaving their house for the near future.

I wanted opinions, not valid answers.

You want to shut down the economy for a year or more?  Better get a gun buddy, a big one.  You want see a country that has 50/60% unemployment rate because I guaranty that is what will happen if the economy is shut down that long.  Nothing will be safe, poverty will reign & the health care system will truly be overrunned since noone could afford health care.  How do you expect the hospitalsd to even be opened or staffed under your scenario.  & there is noway they could possibly know right now the long term effects right now.  Most of the country will be opened up next month, unless there is an unexpected spike.  You could stay in your house for 2 years, see how that works out for you.

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a lot of "what ifs" to manage, but we can't shut down until 2021. 

However, of all the businesses vital to restart, spectator sports are probably down the list. 

Not necessarily, sports brings in a ton of revenue.  Just think how much they lose if the super bowl cancels.  I read an article the NCAA is willing to start there season in January if they have but they will have a season.  They pretty much said they can't afford not to, especially have losing a billion + by cancelling the tournaments.  

This whole outbreak could lead to greater levels of hygiene, sanitation, masks in public, reasonable crowd sizes,  more business offering delivery and curbside pickups a norm, and overall cleanliness. 

The greatest medical minds on the planet are working on this. I foresee a treatment well before any type of vaccine. Once there is a treatment the disease becomes like any other issue people face in hospitals. COVID 19 will never go away. 

We get the 15 minute test going and it's required that you pass it before you go into the stadium. No tailgating in the fall, but it becomes like having the tsa checking your luggage before a flight - show up earlier, take your test and get in. Wear masks, face shields, gloves if you want. Hopefully there will be some type of solution to lessen the virus' effects at a minimum.

People making the call now about what's going to happen in the fall is a little silly. We should really be observing the countries on the corona curve ahead of us and do it better than the best of them.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Figster said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/dr-anthony-fauci-says-theres-a-way-to-bring-back-sports-no-fans-quarantine-teams-144547443.html

Not sure If this has been posted yet.

I'm leaning more towards having the regular NFL football season starting on schedule IMO.

I think the players will be game, and ownership will be game.

Odds are about 60/40 for me. 

Really, Really Scary:

Jerry Jones, Mark Cuban to advise Trump

It includes Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban. It also includes commissioners for the NBA, MLB, NFL, PGA Tour, LPGA, USTA, MLS and NHL as well as leaders for NASCAR, WWE and the UFC. It does not include the commissioners for the WNBA and NWSL, both of which play summer schedules and are led by women.

1 hour ago, Gordio said:

I guaranty that is what will happen if the economy is shut down that long. 

Sounds like a mob guy guarantee about what will happen if payoff doesn't.

Edited by Limeaid

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a lot of "what ifs" to manage, but we can't shut down until 2021. 

on the contrary, professional sports is high visibility and will lead the way back to "normal"

it is always harder to re-start than stop.

Sports will provide targeted start dates which will force some level of normalcy. Otherwise no politician will want to commit to "re-opening too soon"

2 hours ago, dakrider said:

Speak for yourself.  I'm taking precautions but am not living an entire year sequestered in my home and that will include going to some events later this year. 

I think a lot depends upon how much people are willing to adapt. 

An example is the mask wearing thing.   Right now my sense is that a significant number of people regard mask wearing as a form of "cowering", and showing a bare face as a form of "manly pride", showing your fighting flag to that durn 'rona!

I don't think it's coincidence that the countries with the highest level of function and best control of the epidemic are countries where almost everyone is wearing a mask in public.  It's regarded as a social good, a sign that you're a good person trying to be thoughtful and protective of others (of course, that doesn't mean that people uniformly wear them right or refrain from gross behavior with them, but still, by and large.....)

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

We get the 15 minute test going and it's required that you pass it before you go into the stadium. No tailgating in the fall, but it becomes like having the tsa checking your luggage before a flight - show up earlier, take your test and get in. Wear masks, face shields, gloves if you want. Hopefully there will be some type of solution to lessen the virus' effects at a minimum.

People making the call now about what's going to happen in the fall is a little silly. We should really be observing the countries on the corona curve ahead of us and do it better than the best of them.

It would probably be overall better to flip-flop those two  - wear masks required...get your temperature checked, required.

The problem with even a 15 minute diagnostic test, is that for 40,000 people you're talking about 10,000 test-hours just to run the test. 

Now yes, testing can be automated... but at some point, you still need people loading up the samples, offloading the results, and communicating them. 

On that large of a scale, it's going to take more than 15 minutes per person per test.

Then you get into questions we don't really have answers for yet, like

-when do people become infectious relative to when they have a high enough virus titer to test positive

-what is the false negative rate of the test?  I believe the CDC claims 10%, in practical use clinicians are saying ?maybe 20-25%?  For the rapid test, don't know yet.

Requiring everyone to wear a mask to decrease shedding of respiratory droplets and implementing spacing in the seating would probably be both more practical, and more effective.

Also, if 88% of symptomatic cases present with fever, and 75% of cases are symptomatic, one could theoretically screen out ~68% of infectious people just by checking temperatures - which isn't that far off of testing everyone by a test that has a 20-25% false negative rate (68% vs 75-80%) and is far faster and less invaisive.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

An example is the mask wearing thing.   Right now my sense is that a significant number of people regard mask wearing as a form of "cowering", and showing a bare face as a form of "manly pride". 

I don't think it's coincidence that the countries with the highest level of function and best control of the epidemic are countries where almost everyone is wearing a mask in public.  It's regarded as a social good, a sign that you're a good person trying to be thoughtful and protective of others (of course, that doesn't mean that people uniformly wear them right or refrain from gross behavior with them, but still, by and large.....)

Wearing non-surgical masks is a good way to placate the masses into "doing" something

not really buying that non-surgical masks are doing much

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Free Mask Day.  Everyone gets a mask with Bills logo on it.

I am picturing 70,000 Bills fans showing up on gameday with these masks on, only to realize it prevents them from pounding beers before the game, which leads to 70,000 masks on the ground :)

Just now, Greg S said:

I am picturing 70,000 Bills fans showing up on gameday with these masks on, only to realize it prevents them from pounding beers before the game, which leads to 70,000 beer-soaked masks on the ground :)

FIFY.

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

An example is the mask wearing thing.   Right now my sense is that a significant number of people regard mask wearing as a form of "cowering", and showing a bare face as a form of "manly pride", showing your fighting flag to that durn 'rona!

maska-od-brade.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, chongli said:

That would not be fair to the team, as the Bills would not have Josh Allen on a cheap rookie deal for one year and have less time to evaluate him before offering him an extension. And they would also get one less  year of Trevon Diggs.

But from a players perspective is it fair? Lets say the season is canceled and all contracts are frozen. Each player, including Josh is now a year older. Think he would be thrilled being stuck on a rookie deal for potentially 3 more years, when in reality it is supposed to be 2?

I am not saying either way would be better or more fair, but you also have to consider how the players would react to their contracts being frozen. My guess is the overall majority would not love it. 

• Like (+1) 1