A dumb question - Covid 19

I'm a self ascribed hermit. I socially distance without orders. I generally don't like people. My two best friends live in CA and NJ, I'm here in WNY. I visit my ageing mom once every week or two. I have a local friend I meet up with once a month other than football season for a cigar. I have a little group of guys I hang with during football season. Other than that I go to work and get an overload of social interaction there. If I really want to mix it up I go on social media like here.

I miss going to work, and having the freedom to move freely, even if I don't use it. We have been working remotely for 4 weeks now. I work at the U of R in the IT department. Our role is very important at the moment and we are considered essential employees. Financially, I am not impacted. I know many many people are, and it burns me up inside.

My life hasn't changed too much since quarantine. But I see and hear what it is doing to many of my friends and family. Depression, anxiety and other issues are being amplified now, among devastating financial losses. I have lost two close friends to suicide in the past, these are real threats. Most people need social interaction. Hell, I need it, if only at work. A lot of the middle class is being destroyed out of the politics of fear and a false promise of 'safety'. I keep thinking of classic literature, 1984, Brave New World, War of the Worlds.

So let me ask a simple series of questions. How many of you have directly been affected by Covid-19? I'm not talking about government directives to socially distance, or not congregate, or being banned from seeing loved ones. This is all artificial nonsense. The damage being done now is real. It is psychologically and financially horrible, so I ask:

• Do you know anyone that has died of Covid-19 directly?
  • Do you know anyone that has been hospitalized of Covid-19 directly?
  • Do you even know anyone that has tested positive for Covid-19 directly?

I think these are important questions to ask.

Early on the outrage was about limited testing capacity, well that is a non sequitur now. Since the US is dependent on China for much medical supplies, and this is a new virus, testing had to go through its paces. A few weeks ago testing became a non issue. Plenty of capacity to test. Yet testing in CA has yet to reach 100,000 people even today, why?

Did the travel ban from China have a positive effect? I'm guessing yes, even though it was considered xenophobic and nationalist at the time. If there was a 100% air ban at the same time would NYC have been spared the damage it has sustained? For political reasons that would have been unacceptable. Austria was condemnend by the EU and WHO for banning all travel form and to Italy. Seems wise now. It would also be hard to do while a Congress is tied up impeaching a president for nonsense reasons. Where was Congress when an imminent threat was exposing itself globally? It was busy playing politics trying to overthrow an election.

Later, some governments wanted to use the military to steal from the weak to give to the strong. The NY National Guard was geared up to steal at gun point PPE and ventilators from our communities upstate to send them downstate just a week ago. Is that ok now? When did theft by government become ok? I argue that about taxes daily, but this was literal theft at gun point. Is this acceptable now? Some here seem to think so... sad. What if COVID-19 is such an imminent threat? Wouldn't you want your parent/ spouse/child to have the ventilator that was stolen at gun point and moved to NYC? Afterall, It's a pandemic, trust the government to fix it all!

Then it was further limits on freedom to 'flatten the curve.' Most of America has been flat for weeks. Meanwhile most of the middle class and small business has been destroyed, and limits on travel are being reduced daily. This is not ok.

This is a disgrace. I am shocked at the number of petty dictators and willing 'party' stooges on this board. I see people freely posting that exercising personal freedom to travel, congregate and even worship on Easter are 'dumb' and should be turned in. It sounds like a bunch of closeted jack booted Nazis wanting to turn in Jews to me. History repeats itself, but only changes the names my friends.

Think twice about what is important to you, and what you are willing to do for government compliance to be 'safe'. Every big government that limited freedom in the past has promised 'safety' and equity in return.

I ask again. Have you been directly affected?

• Do you know anyone that has tested positive for Covid-19 directly?

If not, why are you willing to live this way now, or turn in others who want to live freely?

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The jack boots come out strongly, heaven forbid we discuss things freely on TBD 'off the wall' like adults. Moved to PPP, thanks mods, I erred in thinking we could speak freely. Enjoy this beautiful nasty gram from a cute little fascist:

"The politically loaded type of post you recently placed on TBD is neither welcome nor allowed. If you wish to engender that kind of conversation you are free to do so in the PPP section of the forums. It has NO place anywhere else on this website.

People come here to talk some football and take a few moments to get away from the pressures of real life. They do not come here to read political screeds or to be called fascists, stooges, Nazis or any of the other terms of endearment you chose to bestow on the members of this community.

Politics are off-limits outside of PPP with zero tolerance for repeat offenders. If you find those terms oppressive or unsatisfying there are many places on the internet you can go for that sort of interaction; this is not one of them.

I respectfully request that in the future you keep anything even remotely related to politics strictly limited to the PPP forum."

jawohl mein kommandant - understood

I asked some simple questions. The questions are neither Democrat or Republican, they are based on the tenants of classical liberalism and free will. Little dictatorial comments are welcomed all over 'off the wall' if they follow the party line. Still no answers, but a lot of real damage being done. Still no rebuttal of facts.

Have fun being a petty dictator on a message board while real lives are being ruined. All in the name of the cause right?

• Like (+1) 1

Two of my parents friends, a husband and wife, have both died.  They passed within 2 days of each other.  He had underlying g health concerns, she did not. They were in their early 60s.

A former client, and family friend, with underlying health issues has been diagnosed and hospitalized.  He is 43.

• Sad 3

Just now, TakeYouToTasker said:

Two of my parents friends, a husband and wife, have both died.  They passed within 2 days of each other.  He had underlying g health concerns, she did not. They were in their early 60s.

A former client, and family friend, with underlying health issues has been diagnosed and hospitalized.  He is 43.

This was all Coronavirus confirmed?

6 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

There have only been 53 deaths to the virus in Erie County.

You knew 2 of them personally, and a hospitalization?

Those odds are extraordinary.

You're assuming they lived in Erie County?

I'm very sorry to hear the news, T. My sincere condolences. 

Edited by Azalin
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Azalin said:

You're assuming they lived in Erie County?

I'm very sorry to hear the news, T. My sincere condolences. 

It is an assumption, yes, since this is a WNY based board.

I needed to hear that the virus was really taking people beyond the stats, to make the actions worth while.

If anyone has lost loved ones, I am sorry. I do mean that.

But this still feels like an overreach to me. I've lost healthy young friends in the past for less isolation and financial loss than what is happening now to people

It is important to bring that up.

Why was there nothing like this coverage during Swine Flu of 2009 that killed 20k Americans?

Two of my wife's work colleagues had mother's who died because of the virus.  One in her early 60's and the other in her late 80's.  I obviously didn't know them.  

I have a younger brother who has localized scleroderma of the digestive track on a feeding tube who nearly died from the type A flu last year.  He's self isolated in a cottage he owns in Angola and is obviously terrified of catching it.  We drop off medical/nutritional supplies outside his door for him outside twice a week taking every precaution possible.  For this reason I'm extra cautious and have quarantined with my wife and daughter for the time being.  I can't wait for this thing to be over.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I'm a self ascribed hermit. I socially distance without orders. I generally don't like people. My two best friends live in CA and NJ, I'm here in WNY. I visit my ageing mom once every week or two. I have a local friend I meet up with once a month other than football season for a cigar. I have a little group of guys I hang with during football season. Other than that I go to work and get an overload of social interaction there. If I really want to mix it up I go on social media like here.

I miss going to work, and having the freedom to move freely, even if I don't use it. We have been working remotely for 4 weeks now. I work at the U of R in the IT department. Our role is very important at the moment and we are considered essential employees. Financially, I am not impacted. I know many many people are, and it burns me up inside.

My life hasn't changed too much since quarantine. But I see and hear what it is doing to many of my friends and family. Depression, anxiety and other issues are being amplified now, among devastating financial losses. I have lost two close friends to suicide in the past, these are real threats. Most people need social interaction. Hell, I need it, if only at work. A lot of the middle class is being destroyed out of the politics of fear and a false promise of 'safety'. I keep thinking of classic literature, 1984, Brave New World, War of the Worlds.

So let me ask a simple series of questions. How many of you have directly been affected by Covid-19? I'm not talking about government directives to socially distance, or not congregate, or being banned from seeing loved ones. This is all artificial nonsense. The damage being done now is real. It is psychologically and financially horrible, so I ask:

• Do you even know anyone that has tested positive for Covid-19 directly?

I think these are important questions to ask.

Early on the outrage was about limited testing capacity, well that is a non sequitur now. Since the US is dependent on China for much medical supplies, and this is a new virus, testing had to go through its paces. A few weeks ago testing became a non issue. Plenty of capacity to test. Yet testing in CA has yet to reach 100,000 people even today, why?

Did the travel ban from China have a positive effect? I'm guessing yes, even though it was considered xenophobic and nationalist at the time. If there was a 100% air ban at the same time would NYC have been spared the damage it has sustained? For political reasons that would have been unacceptable. Austria was condemnend by the EU and WHO for banning all travel form and to Italy. Seems wise now. It would also be hard to do while a Congress is tied up impeaching a president for nonsense reasons. Where was Congress when an imminent threat was exposing itself globally? It was busy playing politics trying to overthrow an election.

Later, some governments wanted to use the military to steal from the weak to give to the strong. The NY National Guard was geared up to steal at gun point PPE and ventilators from our communities upstate to send them downstate just a week ago. Is that ok now? When did theft by government become ok? I argue that about taxes daily, but this was literal theft at gun point. Is this acceptable now? Some here seem to think so... sad. What if COVID-19 is such an imminent threat? Wouldn't you want your parent/ spouse/child to have the ventilator that was stolen at gun point and moved to NYC? Afterall, It's a pandemic, trust the government to fix it all!

Then it was further limits on freedom to 'flatten the curve.' Most of America has been flat for weeks. Meanwhile most of the middle class and small business has been destroyed, and limits on travel are being reduced daily. This is not ok.

This is a disgrace. I am shocked at the number of petty dictators and willing 'party' stooges on this board. I see people freely posting that exercising personal freedom to travel, congregate and even worship on Easter are 'dumb' and should be turned in. It sounds like a bunch of closeted jack booted Nazis wanting to turn in Jews to me. History repeats itself, but only changes the names my friends.

Think twice about what is important to you, and what you are willing to do for government compliance to be 'safe'. Every big government that limited freedom in the past has promised 'safety' and equity in return.

I ask again. Have you been directly affected?

• Do you know anyone that has tested positive for Covid-19 directly?

If not, why are you willing to live this way now, or turn in others who want to live freely?

Bingo....Well said. After reading this, I can't help but wonder why all the anti fascist ANTIFA folks aren't up in arms over the whole thing. We're living in a fascist state more now than anything they've been rioting about in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1

Simple answer - no, no and no.

I do not believe this is a hoax.  I do believe there is some degree of over reaction.  Stopping people in cars from doing a drive in church service is one example.

It would seems there is some common sense solutions that will protect people and start to open up the economy.

• Protect those at high risk.  Keep nursing homes and hospitals restricted.
  • Keep the social distancing working. Use a mask and stay apart in stores, churches, etc.
  • In areas where the virus is still hot, keep schools and restaurants closed.  In areas where it is not, allow them to open with some modifications - reduced capacity, more spacing.
  • If the hospitals are clear, start discretionary procedures.  If CV flooded, then no.
  • In the work place, check temperature upon arrival.
  • Continue working from home if capable.
  • If feeling ill, self isolate immediately even with a cold.
  • Keep hand washing and cleaning of surfaces.
  • Utilize drive-up, shop from home, take-out when ever possible.
  • Keep truly optional events like sports, concerts, etc (painful yes) closed until near the end of the breakout.

These should not be political.  We need to protect those in society who are vulnerable without giving up our rights.

Now the political part:  it seems many politicians (mostly D, some R) have done what they accused Trump of wanting to do - abusing their power.  Some of these restrictions do not make sense, are over reactions and show that these people want to control our lives, not serve the public.  Then there are the politicians who oppose Trump just because and try to use the situation to move their agenda, not serve the public.  A crisis reveals the character of a person and this has shown clearly who the politicians are who serve the public versus those who want power over the public.

• Like (+1) 2

My wife's 1st cousin had it.  They've been denying it to other family but his daughter (technically my wife's 1st cousin once removed, but we like to call her our niece) texted us and told us, probably without her parents knowing.  Oh and they live in Jersey.

Edited by Doc

My cousin and his wife both have it. They work at a corrections facility, and believe they got it there while working. My cousin was hospitalized early last week, given oxygen through a mask for the night, and discharged the next morning. He still didn't feel great after discharge, but seems to be on the mend now.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

No, no, no

When this is over, and I won't get her in trouble (my son's fiancée works at a local hospital), I will share some info about what area hospitals (WNY) expected, and what actually came to be (clearly this is not over, so "what came to be" hasn't er, be-ed).