Trump Is Just A Terrible President, Totally Unfit For The Job

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Well, thats a great discussion on Burglary/homicide

How about I use my weapon to actually stop the burglary ?

"Your chances of being killed by a thief is small"

Well my chances of being robbed without defense is high.

You don't need a gun, because it is so unlikely that you will be killed.

With all due respect, your reasoning here is absurd.

Not small. Not "one in a million". One in 3.282 million. It's not a rational fear, that's all I'm saying. Now if you want to say you like the sound and feel of it going off in your hand, or you want to hunt or it makes you feel like more of a man, then so be it. All I'm saying is that your fear is not rational.

You literally have better odds of winning the lottery. Mega Millions: 1 in 302.6 million. Powerball: 1 in 292.2 million. Play the odds and buy some lottery tickets instead. Think of all the guns and ammo you could buy!

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

I think this would be what he would do:

See the source image

The more I think about it this may be me...my state would probably arrest me and lock me up

for harming a far more important criminal. May have to give up my ***** to avoid jail.

7 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Not small. Not "one in a million". One in 3.282 million. It's not a rational fear, that's all I'm saying. Now if you want to say you like the sound and feel of it going off in your hand, or you want to hunt or it makes you feel like more of a man, then so be it. All I'm saying is that your fear is not rational.

You literally have better odds of winning the lottery. Mega Millions: 1 in 302.6 million. Powerball: 1 in 292.2 million. Play the odds and buy some lottery tickets instead. Think of all the guns and ammo you could buy!

Don’t bother - facts don’t matter. These guys are paranoid AF.

Edited by BillStime

11 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

I can only assume that you are being deliberately dense.

Let's say the chances of my being killed is ZERO.

Why am I going to go weaponless, when I can STOP the robbery by having a gun ?

You keep stating that we don't need it, when obviously most people doo.

But, you don't need a gun, because it is so unlikely that you will be killed.

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I can only assume that you are being deliberately dense.

Let's say the chances of my being killed is ZERO.

Why am I going to go weaponless, when I can STOP the robbery by having a gun ?

You keep stating that we don't need it, when obviously most people doo.

But, you don't need a gun, because it is so unlikely that you will be killed.

If your actual goal, as stated, is to prevent you and yours from dying prematurely, you'd be far better served by spending your time and resources attempting to prevent almost any other cause of death. It's an irrational fear.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gene Frenkle said:

There are roughly 100 burglary homicides per year in the United States.

There are roughly 328.2 million people in the United States.

The chance of any one person getting killed by a burglar in any given year is roughly .0000304692%, or 1 in 3,282,000. Pretty sure I did that math right and this of course discounts factors like where you live, which in your case probably makes it even less likely.

Now I'm sure you'll say something like "stats aren't important when I'm facing an armed invader", and that's fine. I'll say that your stated reason for owning a gun is not rational. You and your family members are far more likely to die of almost any other reasonable cause. You have a right to own guns in the United States, and that's fine. With all due respect, your reasoning here is absurd.

I never owned a gun until I bought a house in Oakland. The original owners were victims of a invasion robbery, tied up and beaten for six hours. We were broken in with a year of living there. I slept with them outside the safe every night 

With all due respect you had no clue what my reasoning was. You do now.  Is it still absurd? 

There are roughly 100 burglary homicides per year in the United States.

There are roughly 328.2 million people in the United States.

The chance of any one person getting killed by a burglar in any given year is roughly .0000304692%, or 1 in 3,282,000. Pretty sure I did that math right and this of course discounts factors like where you live, which in your case probably makes it even less likely.

Now I'm sure you'll say something like "stats aren't important when I'm facing an armed invader", and that's fine. I'll say that your stated reason for owning a gun is not rational. You and your family members are far more likely to die of almost any other reasonable cause. You have a right to own guns in the United States, and that's fine. With all due respect, your reasoning here is absurd.

Now Gene, just because you were recently conjured up doesn't give you the right to conjure up statistics. First of all your figure of 100 burglary homicides per year in the U.S. does not sound right. In addition, you've narrowed it down too much. I suggest you conjure up a link and include all instances of home invasion, robbery, burglary, rape, etc. We wouldn't want to be arguing a false premise, now would we?

48 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

Conservatives typically live in fear, often fear of irrational things. Facts can help, but not always. I do what I can.

You don’t like MY facts?  I can’t tell you how many times we woke in the middle of the night to crazy things and had our weapons ready. So ***** you. 

27 minutes ago, Gene Frenkle said:

If your actual goal, as stated, is to prevent you and yours from dying prematurely, you'd be far better served by spending your time and resources attempting to prevent almost any other cause of death. It's an irrational fear.

Irrational fear?  No it’s not in certain neighborhoods.  Do you want me not to protect my wife?  

Conservatives typically live in fear, often fear of irrational things. Facts can help, but not always. I do what I can.

I'm afraid of losing my hair because:

1. It's fantastic.  I mean I'm not Poz or anything but it's great.

2. I've seen baldness turn people irrationally angry beings.  I don't want to be angry.  

Don't be so angry there Kojak.  Wear a hat or at least use SLF 50+ on that dome.  It'll calm you down.

• Haha (+1) 1

Owning a gun to protect your family is not irrational, BUT from a statistical standpoint one should fear diabetes, heart disease, etc FAR more.  It would be far more rational to protect you and your family from those things, but I guess that proves people just aren't rational at all.  To think people are loading up on guns, yet protesting social distancing is kinda proof of that dichotomy.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, daz28 said:

Owning a gun to protect your family is not irrational, BUT from a statistical standpoint one should fear diabetes, heart disease, etc FAR more.  It would be far more rational to protect you and your family from those things, but I guess that proves people just aren't rational at all.  To think people are loading up on guns, yet protesting social distancing is kinda proof of that dichotomy.  

Outstanding points.  I wonder if Chef Jim realizes that he’s statistically much more likely to die from, say, a bad diet than from failing to have a disposable firearm at the ready to fend off an attacker. 

1 hour ago, BillStime said:

Don’t bother - facts don’t matter. These guys are paranoid AF.

I was thinking something similar.  It’s gotta be tough to go through life being so paranoid.  It’s almost a crippling paranoia.  It’s kind of sad. 

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Now Gene, just because you were recently conjured up doesn't give you the right to conjure up statistics. First of all your figure of 100 burglary homicides per year in the U.S. does not sound right. In addition, you've narrowed it down too much. I suggest you conjure up a link and include all instances of home invasion, robbery, burglary, rape, etc. We wouldn't want to be arguing a false premise, now would we?

FYI home invasion is a type of burglary.  Robbery conducted within a dwelling likely would be, too.  And rape could fit as well, depending on the circumstances of the entry into the home. Point of fact, almost any crime could.  Burglary in this context is the unlawful entry of a dwelling  with the intent to commit a crime therein.  

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Outstanding points.  I wonder if Chef Jim realizes that he’s statistically much more likely to die from, say, a bad diet than from failing to have a disposable firearm at the ready to fend off an attacker. 

So you are ok with my wife not being able to defend herself against an intruder?  The firearms were her idea after we were burgled ya jackass

When you live in a place like Oakland with an incredible crime rate and a PD that took 14 hours to resound to a bugler alarm you are wise to protect yourself. Why are you so against my wife and I protecting ourselves?  

3 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

No.  Try not answering a question with a question.  

Im here entertain myself.  Why are you here?  

Edited by Chef Jim

Nobody is against protection.  Others have pointed out that you should be equally wary of statically greater danger, like red meat or maybe sugar.  

Also, perhaps I’m not as familiar with the message board experience as are you, but my understating is that name calling is not a way to foster conversation.  That said, I still don’t know what youre here for, so it may be that this is simply an outlet for your anger and paranoia and that name calling is a healthy exercise for you.  In that case I’m happy to be here to contribute to your fight against heart disease and other silent killers.  

EDIT:  just saw that you’re here for entertainment purposes.  So the name calling isn’t a health issue for you.  In that case I’d ask you to refrain from name calling.  

Also, just a helpful hint, maybe you could spend less time here and more time working.  That might allow you to acquire more capital and move to a safer neighborhood.  That, in turn, might lessen your odds of dying or experiencing physical harm in burglary. 

Edited by SectionC3

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I never owned a gun until I bought a house in Oakland. The original owners were victims of a invasion robbery, tied up and beaten for six hours. We were broken in with a year of living there. I slept with them outside the safe every night 

With all due respect you had no clue what my reasoning was. You do now.  Is it still absurd? 

A bit. Why move there if that's your fear?

Edit: I'm not looking to offend you, just to converse.

Edited by Gene Frenkle