NBA suspends season due to coronavirus

brianthomas

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/simple-math-alarming-answers-covid-19/

The U.S. has about 1 million hospital beds. At any given time, about 68% of them are occupied. That leaves about 300,000 beds available nationwide.

The majority of people with Covid-19 can be managed at home. But among 44,000 cases in China, about 15% required hospitalization and 5% ended up in critical care. In Italy, the statistics so far are even more dismal: More than half of infected individuals require hospitalization and about 10% need treatment in the ICU.

If only 10% of cases warrant hospitalization, and the spread of the virus continues at the current pace, all hospital beds in the U.S. will be filled by about May 10. And with many patients requiring weeks of care, turnover will slow to a crawl as beds fill with Covid-19 patients.

Edited by Lurker
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Gonna get a lot worse. Reports are SCOTUS and Senate briefed that 70-150M Americans could get infected. Run the 3.4% mortality rate by WHO and that is a grim number. 

Whois reporting that?

9 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I don’t know what is a bigger joke. Basketball or everyone being terrified of a cold

I'd guess ignorance.

9 hours ago, mead107 said:

Over 151,000 die every day around the globe. 

I looked it up. 

100,000 health related 

I'm curious as to what point you are trying to make?

1 hour ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Who is reporting that?

Congressional doctor predicts 70-150 million U.S. coronavirus cases

Congress' in-house doctor told Capitol Hill staffers at a close-door meeting this week that he expects 70-150 million people in the U.S. — roughly a third of the country — to contract the coronavirus, two sources briefed on the meeting tell Axios.

Why it matters: That estimate, which is in line with other projections from health experts, underscores the potential seriousness of this outbreak even as the White House has been downplaying its severity in an attempt to keep public panic at bay.

Dr. Brian Monahan, the attending physician of the U.S. Congress, told Senate chiefs of staff, staff directors, administrative managers and chief clerks from both parties on Tuesday that they should prepare for the worst, and offered advice on how to remain healthy.

https://www.axios.com/congressional-physician-predicts-75-150-million-us-coronavirus-cases-fec69e77-1515-4fbc-8340-c53b65c22c53.html

2 minutes ago, ALF said:

Trust me everyone is hoping you are right

Why would we get that many cases?

China has had 80,000 in a country of over a billion people.

And I'm supposed to believe almost half of our population will get it?

Somewhere common sense and shitting your pants scared overlapped.

Our country has less than 1,400 reported cases. I am aware that number will climb much higher but 70-150 million?

No way, no how. 

15 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Our country has less than 1,400 reported cases. I am aware that number will climb much higher but 70-150 million?

No way, no how. 

They have also only tested less that 5,000 people.

Do the math

1200 / 4500 say = That's a 25% positive test rate

PLus you have Americans who are acting like this isn't an issue still because a virus that has affected the entire world is apparently just not going to affect America, because 'Murica.

The state of Washington is preparing to have over 100,000 cases in the next two weeks.

20 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

No way, no how. 

the claim is 60 million in the US were effected by H1N1 a decade ago 

In case people totally forgot about it

Edited by row_33

9 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

There just has to be more to this story. How are they projecting half the country ends up with this thing? It is only SLIGHTLY more contagious than the common flu. 

Does HALF the population get the flu and how are they convinced this will not die out in the summer?

There just seems to be a lot of noise(from ALL sides of the political equation, so not really a political comment) and dearth of actual INFORMATION.

What if it’s not noise, my concern is we don’t truly know the scope of how bad this is.  Maybe, they aren’t telling us the whole truth out of fear it could create mass hysteria.  On the flip side, maybe they know the potential this has and they are warming everyone as if this is an end times illness, when in actuality, it’s not, but they want to control fast.  Either way, I’m taking it seriously.  Best case scenario, we laugh about it in a few months.

• Thank you (+1) 2