XFL week 5 gameday thread

Just caught the last few minutes. Ridiculously bad look, why should anyone take their game seriously when they don't.

Terrible, what a joke.

How could all the refs miss that? I knew immediately there was time left on the clock.

Edited by Turk71

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I don't see why it would be that hard to correct immediately and call people back out. The head of officiating had no answer when interviewed. Woefully unprepared. This isn't rocket science.

That was bizarre, as if no one there knew that the clock stops after 4th down. They didn't even look at it and none of the players seemed to notice or care either. Weird.

3 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

That was bizarre, as if no one there knew that the clock stops after 4th down. They didn't even look at it and none of the players seemed to notice or care either. Weird.

I'm glad ABC and Steve Levy stayed there and showed what a joke that ending was instead of covering up with "good by, off to ...."

6 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Cam Phillips at the very least should get an invite to an NFL camp. Houston in general has looked really good though. 

He has the last 2 years and could not make the Bills WRs either year (and I am told that the Bills had pathetic WRs the last 2 years).  After not making the Bills or a PS last year - how good is he really?

My guess is he gets an invite, but he just is not good enough against NFL starting or back-up CBs. He will be potential NFL PS with the new expanded Rosters.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I love how the refs only call the blatantly obvious penalties, too. Great flow to these games.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes, the officiating has been a lot better than the NFL. I can only think of one iffy call.  If the XFL can do it, why not the NFL?

47 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Just caught the last few minutes. Ridiculously bad look, why should anyone take their game seriously when they don't.

Terrible, what a joke.

How could all the refs miss that? I knew immediately there was time left on the clock.

So I love how we hear how great the officials are, but every week it seems there are major gaffes in their limited games a week.  The officiating is just as bad just in different ways and the number of games/plays and viewership/importance of games is significantly lower.

They are not calling everything, but they are still missing blatant calls and things like timing has been an issue.  I think it is just different and if you calculate this out to an NFL schedule - they have played less than 2 weeks of games and have had multiple big plays missed by the referee - it just seems like less because of the fewer games per week and the fact that viewership is less than 10% so fewer people talking about calls.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

So I love how we hear how great the officials are, but every week it seems there are major gaffes in their limited games a week.  The officiating is just as bad just in different ways and the number of games/plays and viewership/importance of games is significantly lower.

They are not calling everything, but they are still missing blatant calls and things like timing has been an issue.  I think it is just different and if you calculate this out to an NFL schedule - they have played less than 2 weeks of games and have had multiple big plays missed by the referee - it just seems like less because of the fewer games per week.

I didn't say they didn't make mistakes. The point is they're not calling the ticky-tack stuff. Also, all the booth reviews have been correct and transparent. The flow of the games have been nice.

Just now, LeGOATski said:

I didn't say they didn't make mistakes. The point is they're not calling the ticky-tack stuff. Also, all the booth reviews have been correct and transparent. The flow of the games have been nice.

Not all of the booth reviews have been correct, but they get done somewhat quick and it is not always used.  The flow is better, but the officiating is just as bad or worse and the major gaffes they have had like today have cost teams.  Just think about if the major issues like today had occurred every week or 2 weeks in the NFL.  The major issues are things that happen once a year in the NFL or should about every 30 XFL years.

Also just watching a few games I have seen a lot of blatant things missed or not called.  Think about the amount of complaining we do as a fan base when they miss or don’t call blatant holding or PI.  If this was the NFL game - these refs would be getting worked over terribly for how they are calling the game.  The issue is we are part of a very tiny group watching and we have next to zero allegiance to any team so we let the bad plays go rather than scream and fume over them.  

50 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah, I don't see why it would be that hard to correct immediately and call people back out. The head of officiating had no answer when interviewed. Woefully unprepared. This isn't rocket science.

That interview with the booth official was an embarrassment and the refs should have been wearing clown shoes running off the field. 

Another puzzling thing was the guy who got ejected for throwing a punch was yuckin it up on the sideline and signing autographs. Don't you have to go to the locker room when ejected? 

9 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

That interview with the booth official was an embarrassment and the refs should have been wearing clown shoes running off the field. 

Another puzzling thing was the guy who got ejected for throwing a punch was yuckin it up on the sideline and signing autographs. Don't you have to go to the locker room when ejected? 

That whole ending was a joke. I'm surprised Vince McMahon didn't grab the mic and announce the winner.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Only in real professional football.  Not this WWE stuff.

• Thank you (+1) 1