Medical care at NFL Games - Anyone know the Standard?

Those who follow hockey may have heard by now that St Louis Blues defensemen Jay Bouwmeester collapsed with a cardiac event on the bench during the game, was treated with a defibrillator and taken to hospital.  The 1-1 hockey game was called (Good on Ya NHL!) as I expect none of the players would have been able to give it their proper competitive attention.  "Bo" was a member of last year's Stanley Cup winning team and is an Olympic medalist.  He is noted for his rigorous conditioning.

The Guardian reports that the NHL has pages of emergency medical standards that spell out in specific detail that at least two doctors must be in attendance for every game and one must be within 50 feet of the bench at all times. A defibrillator must be available, along with a triage room and ambulances.

I was just wondering if anyone knows if there's a similar high standard for football games - NFL?  College?

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Interesting, thanks! 

In this overview, it doesn't spell out some of the specifics, but from the sheer numbers of folks it sounds like the bigger problem might be getting the most relevant personnel access to the injured player!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

For the football program at my D3 college in the late 90’s, we had a trainer and grad assistant on standby with a roll of ace bandages and ice to handle whatever came their way...should I have been worried? :doh:

The good old days!

When I played some semi pro ball after college there was a chick with ice and Ace bandages and she was going to become a nurse! Not even 1 yet!

Should I have been worried ?

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Haha (+1) 1

Kevin Everett is living and walking proof of the high standards of NFL medical emergency standards. Had his injury occurred in the 80's or earlier he may not have lived, almost certainly would not have walked again. A few years ago Golic on his radio show saying how when he played, if someone stayed down after a head hit, the players wanting to help would take the helmet off of the injured player. 

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Kevin Everett is living and walking proof of the high standards of NFL medical emergency standards. Had his injury occurred in the 80's or earlier he may not have lived, almost certainly would not have walked again. A few years ago Golic on his radio show saying how when he played, if someone stayed down after a head hit, the players wanting to help would take the helmet off of the injured player. 

I think the league said when the bills staff and medical personnel saved Everett that they were the only team in the league at that time equipped to handle that situation

He was very close to death and thank God he pulled through

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think the league said when the bills staff and medical personnel saved Everett that they were the only team in the league at that time equipped to handle that situation

The treatment he received was experimental and involved infusing the injury with cooling  liquid through his veins rather than applying ice to the outside. Staff had only recently been trained on it, not sure but I think it was that week. They weren't even certain if it would help or hurt. 

3 hours ago, Steve O said:

This makes me wonder how they diagnosis and deal with neck injuries. You can’t cut a helmet off like a jersey, and you can’t wear it into an MRI or CT Scan. I guess that’s why they go to school for decades......

The advances in medicine have been nothing short of amazing! 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

This makes me wonder how they diagnosis and deal with neck injuries. You can’t cut a helmet off like a jersey, and you can’t wear it into an MRI or CT Scan. I guess that’s why they go to school for decades......

The advances in medicine have been nothing short of amazing! 

My guess would be that they take the facemask off and grab xrays first, then if they see a fracture and need to avoid jostling the neck, they use an orthopedic saw, same type they use to remove a cast.  It has a guard that slides between the sawblade and the patient. 

But they could just brace the neck then go for the saw straight off.

Believe you could wear a helmet into a CT scan - it would interfere with imaging the area encased by the helmet, but below and from the front would be OK.

MRI, um NO.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My guess would be that they take the facemask off and grab xrays first, then if they see a fracture and need to avoid jostling the neck, they use an orthopedic saw, same type they use to remove a cast.  It has a guard that slides between the sawblade and the patient. 

But they could just brace the neck then go for the saw straight off.

Believe you could wear a helmet into a CT scan - it would interfere with imaging the area encased by the helmet, but below and from the front would be OK.

MRI, um NO.

My college rugby days ended with a neck injury. In the scheme of things not a huge deal, but definitely frightening. The thought of getting a helmet off would have made it that much worse. I’m sure they know what they’re doing.....

at my high school's football game a guy from our school collapsed on the bench. the trainers started working on him while an ambulance was called but a priest from our school came over and began praying over him. he came to after that. he had something where the veins in his brain were tangled so he seized and had a hemorrage. he should have died there so you'll never hear one of the players say it wasnt a miracle. so we had Jesus on our sideline. 

18 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes they were because they were working closely with medical school and Ralph was a large contributer.