Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JoeF

Star Lotulelei takes a pay cut

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

Murphy has cap number of close to 10 miil,  i think the Bills can improve 


Yes, they can improve—why cut Murphy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:


More along the lines of—we plan to reduce your snaps this year, so we’re asking you to take a salary adjustment. In exchange, we’ll bump your guaranteed money up significantly. We’re doing this because we don’t want to let you go or have you be unhappy.


I highly doubt that Shaq takes 8.

 

And as I said, Murphy is performing right in line with what you expect from a DE making $7M AAV.

 

Yes, you could ask him to take a reduction, but he’s already being paid as a rotational guy.

We need to find someone better than Murphy,  add some money onto the 8 miilion you save from cutting Murphy and upgrade the position.  Murphy is loser,  

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:


Yes, they can improve—why cut Murphy?

To save 8 million,  add another 8 and get yourself and DE who can get us more sacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

They are very young at many of the most key positions - QB, MLB, LT, CB1, RB1. Will likely add WR1 this year. 

Exactly.

 

McDermott likes to have a veteran in every meeting room. That’s not a bad thing, even if it raises some stupid “average age of the team” number some (of the more negative) fans like to obsess about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

We need to find someone better than Murphy,  add some money onto the 8 miilion you save from cutting Murphy and upgrade the position.  Murphy is loser,  

To save 8 million,  add another 8 and get yourself and DE who can get us more sacks


Your reasoning is that “he’s a loser”? That’s stupid.

 

Look at production across the league for players making $7M AAV and tell me that he’s not right where he should be...then explain to me why it makes sense to try to recoup cap space you don’t need by cutting a productive player at a position where you have only 2 experienced players under contract.

 

C’mon...I’m not asking for much. Just think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:


Yes, they can improve—why cut Murphy?

To save 8 million,  add another 8 and get yourself and DE who can get us more sacks

 

Robert Quinn /  Chris Jones  to name a few

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Niagara Dude said:

To save 8 million,  add another 8 and get yourself and DE who can get us more sacks

 

Robert Quinn /  Chris Jones  to name a few


You want to sign Chris Jones to play EDGE in McDermott’s scheme? 
 

Are you sure you watch the NFL?

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:


Your reasoning is that “he’s a loser”? That’s stupid.

 

Look at production across the league for players making $7M AAV and tell me that he’s not right where he should be...then explain to me why it makes sense to try to recoup cap space you don’t need by cutting a productive player at a position where you have only 2 experienced players under contract.

 

C’mon...I’m not asking for much. Just think.

 

The AAV goes out the window in the last year of the contract.   Murphy is not $7 million AAV, but almost $10 million in 2020.  

 

I don't advocate cutting him outright at this moment.  But, he's be a prime cut candidate three days into FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GG said:

 

The AAV goes out the window in the last year of the contract.   Murphy is not $7 million AAV, but almost $10 million in 2020.  

 

I don't advocate cutting him outright at this moment.  But, he's be a prime cut candidate three days into FA.


For what reason? Why don’t we want multiple good players at the same position? Do we really believe that this team needs even more cap space at the expense of keeping a good rotational guy?

 

I mean, suppose if the money is 1:1 with him and Shaq, you could at least make an argument, but Shaq will probably command a pile of guaranteed money and a longer-term commitment. If you’re already going after an upgrade at LDE, it doesn’t make sense to tie yourself to Shaq too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Is there such a thing as an indecent fever?

 Like 100 is meh. Once you eclipse 101...that’s decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

 Like 100 is meh. Once you eclipse 101...that’s decent.


100.4 is what the cool kids are saying these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:


For what reason? Why don’t we want multiple good players at the same position? Do we really believe that this team needs even more cap space at the expense of keeping a good rotational guy?

 

I mean, suppose if the money is 1:1 with him and Shaq, you could at least make an argument, but Shaq will probably command a pile of guaranteed money and a longer-term commitment. If you’re already going after an upgrade at LDE, it doesn’t make sense to tie yourself to Shaq too.

Actually, they played Shaq mostly on the right side last year, which was more natural for him. You could bring him back knowing Jerry is prob in his final year and draft a young buck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:


For what reason? Why don’t we want multiple good players at the same position? Do we really believe that this team needs even more cap space at the expense of keeping a good rotational guy?

 

I mean, suppose if the money is 1:1 with him and Shaq, you could at least make an argument, but Shaq will probably command a pile of guaranteed money and a longer-term commitment. If you’re already going after an upgrade at LDE, it doesn’t make sense to tie yourself to Shaq too.

 

Thinking beyond this season and getting more production for your money.  

 

I don't care about guarantees on long term deals as much as production in return for the guarantee.  I'd rather have Bills swing for the fences with Yannick or equal player if he's somehow available in first week of FA.  If not, then you look at second tier, like Shaq who you can sign for 3-4 years at under $8 AAV, and prioritize DE in the draft.    

 

Murphy sticks out like a sore thumb on the equivalent $10 million one-year contract.   Would you rather have him or Gerald McCoy for one year at that price?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

Actually, they played Shaq mostly on the right side last year, which was more natural for him. You could bring him back knowing Jerry is prob in his final year and draft a young buck.


Well, he played both, but as far as I can remember he played more on the left side than right.

 

Can’t find a reliable reference for snap counts per side...only total.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

 

Thinking beyond this season and getting more production for your money.  

 

I don't care about guarantees on long term deals as much as production in return for the guarantee.  I'd rather have Bills swing for the fences with Yannick or equal player if he's somehow available in first week of FA.  If not, then you look at second tier, like Shaq who you can sign for 3-4 years at under $8 AAV, and prioritize DE in the draft.    

 

Murphy sticks out like a sore thumb on the equivalent $10 million one-year contract.   Would you rather have him or Gerald McCoy for one year at that price?


The last question is really important...my answer is “both, because they can afford it”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Did he change positions as parts of the deal? 

No, but opposing offensive players are obligated to say 'excuse me', as they blow past him....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

The last question is really important...my answer is “both, because they can afford it”.

 

But that realistically isn't an option, because there's no way Beane leaves himself exposed to having two DEs falling off contracts after the 2020 season, and the rising stars due for extensions.  

 

To me the ideal situation is to sign 1) FA stud or 2) sign 2nd tier DE.  In either situation, you evaluate Murphy's slot because he doesn't produce for his cap hit, and Bills really do need to start addressing long term roster management this year.   The high cap number is a near-term illusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, GG said:

 

The AAV goes out the window in the last year of the contract.   Murphy is not $7 million AAV, but almost $10 million in 2020.  

 

I don't advocate cutting him outright at this moment.  But, he's be a prime cut candidate three days into FA.

Are you his agent?  the guy had 3 sacks in 15 games,  we can do much better than that.  

15 minutes ago, GG said:

 

Thinking beyond this season and getting more production for your money.  

 

I don't care about guarantees on long term deals as much as production in return for the guarantee.  I'd rather have Bills swing for the fences with Yannick or equal player if he's somehow available in first week of FA.  If not, then you look at second tier, like Shaq who you can sign for 3-4 years at under $8 AAV, and prioritize DE in the draft.    

 

Murphy sticks out like a sore thumb on the equivalent $10 million one-year contract.   Would you rather have him or Gerald McCoy for one year at that price?

Not sure why people think around 10 mill is about right, we can do better and to beat winning teams the Bills need more play makers.  Murphy is scrub and is not good enough if you want to make the playoffs and win games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Are you his agent?  the guy had 3 sacks in 15 games,  we can do much better than that.  

Not sure why people think around 10 mill is about right, we can do better and to beat winning teams the Bills need more play makers.  Murphy is scrub and is not good enough if you want to make the playoffs and win games

 

It would help if you can follow a discussion.   All references to Murphy's dollars are related to his scheduled cash payment and cap hit in 2020, as per his signed contract with the Buffalo Bills.  

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, GG said:

 

Thinking beyond this season and getting more production for your money.  

 

I don't care about guarantees on long term deals as much as production in return for the guarantee.  I'd rather have Bills swing for the fences with Yannick or equal player if he's somehow available in first week of FA.  If not, then you look at second tier, like Shaq who you can sign for 3-4 years at under $8 AAV, and prioritize DE in the draft.    

 

Murphy sticks out like a sore thumb on the equivalent $10 million one-year contract.   Would you rather have him or Gerald McCoy for one year at that price?

 

 

Over 17 games Murphy produced 7 sacks 1 INT 2 FF and 2 FR..........he's a long defender who has a knack for getting his hands on the football and he just turned 29 in December in a league where pass rushers are getting paid well into their 30's so he's probably very motivated to have a great season and get another contract.

 

The money they saved guaranteeing Star his pay for 2020 is a pittance but it will offset any roster bonuses Murphy will earn this offseason.

 

And then if they get to August and Murphy is looking like the 6th best DE they can cut him(or possibly trade him) and save $6.5M in cap space.  

 

Makes zero sense to cut him now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good move to reduce Star's #. As many have said, fair for both sides. 

 

They have stated multiple times that they want to bring as much of the team back as possible. With this restructure, I wonder if the next one could be Trent Murphy. 2020 is the last year of his deal, he has a cash # of $8.025 million, a cap hit of $9.775 million and a dead cap # of $1.75 million, which means they save $ 8 million if they release him. Maybe they go to him and give an option to extend 1-2 years to bring his number down to the $5-6 million range and say the alternative is they release him. 

 

My thinking is Murphy at $5.5 million is about fair value, if he doesn't want to do that then they release and save $8 million and deploy that elsewhere. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nucci said:

but just guaranteed for this coming season...he's now playing for his next contract

 

 

He's 31 and has been in decline for many years...........don't see NT types(read: DT1T who doesn't make tackles) playing into their mid 30's anymore.........it's not like pass rushers........this is the end of the road for him in the NFL.........his next contract will be coaching at a HS in Utah.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...