No more Jerry Sullivan radio show (but now Podcast!)

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Sorry @Reed83HOF, I know it's off-season but two Jerry Sullivan threads on the board at the same time?

The Mind Boggles.

Good for Jerry for starting a podcast.  If he's got all the fans that some have claimed, perhaps it will work and he'll monetize it successfully.

I kind of feel that ~2 1/2 weeks is probably not enough time to build up a rep that people will pay for, but good luck to him for trying.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Sorry @Reed83HOF, I know it's off-season but two Jerry Sullivan threads on the board at the same time?

The Mind Boggles.

Good for Jerry for starting a podcast.  If he's got all the fans that some have claimed, perhaps it will work and he'll monetize it successfully.

I kind of feel that ~2 1/2 weeks is probably not enough time to build up a rep that people will pay for, but good luck to him for trying.

I figured and it makes sense - just wanted a little visibility LMAO. I also couldn't update Promo's title

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Tying threads together, perhaps he could make it a video blog and call Jim Everett "Chris".  :devil:

...LMAO!...that is THE all time classic....I'd have to give #2 to the 1994 draft with Kiper's hissy fit vs Colts GM Tobin on picking Alberts vs Dilfer.......to which Tobin responded regarding Kiper's rant, "who the hell is he"?.......

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're undoubtedly correct, many would.  Undoubtedly many fans would also prefer a program where there is nothing but criticism.  Apparently enough of these latter did not patronize the Sully show, therefore it met its demise.

My guess is that most fans are in-between and prefer programs that are neither Murphy homer nor Sully negative, but present different viewpoints and both praise and blame as deserved.  I put this board up as evidence.  I think people come here because we are not a homer, GO BILLS WOOHOO board with nothing but positive viewpoints.  That doesn't mean we welcome overthetop, unrelenting criticism without any substance behind it, but the fact that negative points of view and criticism are allowed is part of what gives it interest.

Some people like having their anger stoked. Some, like myself, don't need to raise their blood pressure worrying about a game. 

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, eball said:

Ahh, a podcast.  Where guys not good enough to have a radio show go to broadcast their views into nothingness.  Good luck with that, Jer...

To be fair, there are some very very interesting podcasts out there....easily better than most radio shows.  Podcasts are by their nature flexible, so people can fit them in as 2nd gigs. People can also download them and listen while commuting or exercising or traveling.

Unlike a live show, they can be edited to make them more entertaining.  They can be focused on a specific topic and draw in people from wide geographical areas. 

I don't know too much about it, but I tend to believe the monetization process usually goes something like:

1) someone makes podcast targeting specific audience

2) at this stage, podcast may partner with affiliates, promote affiliate products on podcast, and receive commission

3) podcast becomes popular, attracts large number of subscribers in specific audience group

4) advertisers interested in marketing to that specific audience group offer sponsorship and advertising

Even with this suggested pattern of development, conventional wisdom seems to be that it takes about a year to grow a podcast to a point where it does make money.

I haven't heard of a model where someone broadcasts a podcast for ~3 weeks then sells access to it successfully.   It's also not clear to me what Sullivan's specific audience is.

I'm a specific audience - a long time, passionate Bills football fan.  I purchase Bills Blitz from The Buffalo News and The Athletic (I'm considering premium content from Cover1) because they provide me with something I want, on a better and more regular basis than I can find it for free: expert analysis of football plays; access to and interviews with players; background information about coaches, plays, and players.  I enjoy coverage from Jim Kubiak and Mark Gaughan and sometimes Vic Carruci at TBN and Erik Turner, Matt Fairburn, and sometimes Joe Buscaglia and Tim Graham at the Athletic, and I'll continue to pay as long as that's true.  

If there's content out there that I regard as equal or superior and it's free, I won't pay.  I can read arbitrary letter grades for Bills players with no stated basis posted weekly right here on TBD, so why would I pay just for Joe B's apparently arbitrary and with no stated basis weekly grades?  I can find free coverage elsewhere, and sometimes it's excellent (I really like Matt Parrino, Marcel Louis-Jacques, and John Wawrow of AP) but the focus and concentration of coverage TBN and Athletic supply are worth it to me.  But there is a good bit of quality free coverage these days in various blogs etc., including a plethora of opinion pieces.

I don't have to pay to read or to listen to over-the-top, focused negative (or positive for that matter) opinions.  I can get them right here or at a dozen places online.  So I tend to believe that Sullivan isn't following a marketing plan that's very likely to succeed.  But whaddo I know? 

• Like (+1) 1

Growing up as a sports fan here in Buffalo in the 60's & 70's, sports radio consisted of the broadcasts of the Bills, Bisons, Braves and Sabres games and not much more. The local newspapers and 5 minutes of the 6:00 p.m. local TV's sportcasts were considered the icing on the sports info cake.

.....and it seemed suffice.

Just saying.

Edited by I am the egg man

On 2/7/2020 at 9:35 AM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Incorrect. He was let go because king Terry took exception to his critiques of the bills and threatened financial retribution to theBN.  Now, if you’re cool with wealthy owners influencing media coverage, then you do you.. I’ll pass on that.

His column was objectively terrible. Nice attempt to move the goalposts and reframe the discussion though. Sullivan is a relic of a time where being outrageous and negative got you views. 

On 2/6/2020 at 1:17 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't know if that also means no more Tim Graham show either.

https://buffalonews.com/2020/02/06/jerry-sullivans-radio-show-ends-its-run/

No Jerry they really don't.  Especially not yours.  Why do you think your radio station got no financial support?  I will clue you in... it's because most people are tired of you.  You are old and washed up.  Most people do not want to hear your tired and miserable opinions about our sports teams anymore.

The only thing I want to hear from media is the news.  Not their opinions.  I am old and educated.  I think I can form my own opinion.  I don't need people like you to tell me what it should be.  Change your schtick or continue on being an insignificant human being.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/7/2020 at 5:33 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dude, when you don't tell it straight about the reason the moderator in question banned you, it kind of worries one that you weren't able to understand or accept it.

Hint: it was not for "voicing an opinion that simply went against the blinders-wearing homers' majority LOL"

Gentle Reminder from our TOS that doesn't apply to this post, but that did imply then:

Do NOT post Personal "crusades" (posting the same information/opinion in an excessively repetitive manner. We want posters to share opinions not bludgeon others to death with them.)

But isn't that what certain posters here do?  Over and over and over and over again...