The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

9 minutes ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

I'll bite here, what would they have done differently and is their experience level in dealing with a first of its time pandemic? Just curious....

1) Wouldn't have completely destroyed our pandemic infrastructure the past 3 years like Trump did

2) Wouldn't have ignored intelligence like Trump did

3) Wouldn't have muzzled our leading scientists like Trump did

2 hours ago, LB3 said:

I would bet that number goes down in the coming months. The people who would have died between September and December under normal circumstances were taken early.

Without doubt there are a significant amount of deaths that have been paid forward.  The question is how much of it will show up in the data?  Unfortunately, there is no clear way to get that count.  You can't just look at the excess death tables to get a clear picture because the ongoing excess deaths that are not related to COVID are also factored in to the overall excess death count.  It's not as if the non covid related excess deaths just stops when the virus burns out.  Deaths not directly related to COVID but as of a result of secondary and tertiary COVID related deaths such as suicides, lack of medical care, drug addictions, stress induced illnesses, poverty etc will go on for quite some time.   

CDC attempts to classify COVID and non COVID related excess deaths but no one in their right mind trusts that data.  We know for a fact that there are many people that were considered COVID related deaths that truly didn't die because of COVID, they just happened to have COVID when they died.  It's a distinction that should be noted but almost impossible to quantify.  And since we have a press that is not interested in reporting substantive news and it's viewers/subscribers who lack the ability or desire apply common sense and do additional research, we are left with vapid articles such as the NY Times article we got up above.   Looks all fancy, they extrapolate data that is "real", but it misses tons of context and uses imaging on their charts to portray things in a manner to further their narratives. 

All one has to do is apply common sense and know that since we know that around 50% of people were very likely going to die no matter if COVID had been here or not within the next 6 months or so.  That's a given.   That is borne out in the data of who we know has died of COVID and what we know of people's life expectancy once they enter into Nursing homes.  This is not in dispute.   So using logic and basic common sense, we know that many of these deaths were paid forward, accelerated.  So in real terms you would see the excess death count go down in the coming months.  But since we have misclassifications and ongoing Non COVID excess deaths, it's nearly impossible to get an accurate handle of this.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillStime said:

1) Wouldn't have completely destroyed our pandemic infrastructure the past 3 years like Trump did

2) Wouldn't have ignored intelligence like Trump did

3) Wouldn't have muzzled our leading scientists like Trump did

How do you know this? Who's to say intelligence was ignored, no one knew the extent of this virus and still doesn't. I'm not pounding my chest for Trump but no one knows the first thing about this virus other than how its transmitted. The info we got from the WHO was the catalyst for disaster and spread. That's where your frustration and anger should be.

The numbers are extremely flawed, I work with testing companies and review numbers both infected and deaths daily and they are blatantly false. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I agree Trump can have more class and be more Presidential but its simply not his way. After 4 years you'd have thought everyone would have just let it go and moved on.   

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

That's a reasonable expectation.  

But am guessing though that overall the reductions won't fully balance out as due to both people putting off procedures and Dr's visits & increased stress from the uncertainty this year has created that we'll see preventable deaths from causes like heart attack, stroke, suicide, etc. increasing over the expected baseline which will end up offsetting the people that would've been expected to die in the fall that lost a few months of life due to the novel virus.

Correct!

It won't balance out and make no mistake there are excess related deaths due directly to COVID of people who weren't going to die if COVID hadn't been around.  But the numbers are vastly overstated.   There is another stat that is taken into account which is the Years of Life Lost.   This in my view is the better stat.  Which is a stat that doesn't count each life as a 1 to 1 basis but takes into account their age.  Example:  If you have the average life of expectancy of 80 in a country and someone dies at age 79, then that would have a net tally of 1 years of life lost.   But if you have someone who dies at age 40, then that tally is listed as 40 years of life lost.  

I can't seem to find it but I remember reading that the excess deaths that are NON COVID related (but they are indirectly related) had a greater PYLL (potential years of life lost) than those who died due to COVID.   Meaning, more years are being taken away from people's lives due to policy decisions that are meant to protect the public from COVID, than COVID itself.    That's some backwards ass ***** that is happening.    And it makes perfect sense once you understand the profiles of the people who are typically dying.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Kemp said:

I quoted the President proving he is a total moron, something you can't refute, and you know it.

You quoted a snippet of a longer conversation that removes the context.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Magox said:

Correct!

It won't balance out and make no mistake there are excess related deaths due directly to COVID of people who weren't going to die if COVID hadn't been around.  But the numbers are vastly overstated.   There is another stat that is taken into account which is the Years of Life Lost.   This in my view is the better stat.  Which is a stat that doesn't count each life as a 1 to 1 basis but takes into account their age.  Example:  If you have the average life of expectancy of 80 in a country and someone dies at age 79, then that would have a net tally of 1 years of life lost.   But if you have someone who dies at age 40, then that tally is listed as 40 years of life lost.  

I can't seem to find it but I remember reading that the excess deaths that are NON COVID related (but they are indirectly related) had a greater PYLL (potential years of life lost) than those who died due to COVID.   Meaning, more years are being taken away from people's lives due to policy decisions that are meant to protect the public from COVID, than COVID itself.    That's some backwards ass ***** that is happening.    And it makes perfect sense once you understand the profiles of the people who are typically dying.

Absolutely.  The comment about people dying a few months sooner than they'd've unfortunately have been expected to pass on was referring to the tens of thousands of nursing home residents passing away and not people that were far younger and in better health. No doubt this horrible virus that China could've done far more to prevent the initial spread worldwide has taken way too many lives way too early.  But as you correctly state, only a fraction of the excessive deaths will be due to this virus that prompted the lock downs.  (Won't even hazard a guess at the %age but fully expect it is significantly lower than the media leads us to believe.)

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GG said:

Provide the context justifying his asking a doctor to investigate whether it's a good idea to inject disinfectant even though by definition it could not exist.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Absolutely.  The comment about people dying a few months sooner than they'd've unfortunately have been expected to pass on was referring to the tens of thousands of nursing home residents passing away and not people that were far younger and in better health. No doubt this horrible virus that China could've done far more to prevent the initial spread worldwide has taken way too many lives way too early.  But as you correctly state, only a fraction of the excessive deaths will be due to this virus that prompted the lock downs.  (Won't even hazard a guess at the %age but fully expect it is significantly lower than the media leads us to believe.)

And what makes this even worse is that those nursing home deaths, those poor people who died had to essentially either die alone and not in the presence of their loved ones because of these backwards ass rules and measures that were taken in the name of public health.

Logic was totally removed from the equation, I started a whole thread about this back in March discussing these issues.  It was totally foreseeable and to this day, people still are not able to comprehend this basic thought process.

12 minutes ago, GG said:

Never Forget 

Image may contain: sky, text that says 'Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt quotefancy'

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kemp said:

Provide the context justifying his asking a doctor to investigate whether it's a good idea to inject disinfectant even though by definition it could not exist.

I linked an existing application of an antiseptic that is ingested into the nose to prevent infections, moron.  @BillsFanNC linked other studies of disinfectant agents that are meant to be delivered inside a body.

Are you ever not a moron?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Kemp said:

Are you STILL talking about this? Really? Let me make a suggestion...vote for Biden. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Are you STILL talking about this? Really? Let me make a suggestion...vote for Biden. 

...how come I'm searching for my daily, dreadful, doom and gloom Covid-19 update and all I can find is news about the KamalaVirus?.....HUH?.....

57 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...how come I'm searching for my daily, dreadful, doom and gloom Covid-19 update and all I can find is news about the KamalaVirus?.....HUH?.....

The KamalaVirus sucks much more. I heard it on the radio but not sure I heard it correctly-------------------something about chrome off a trailer hitch.

• Like (+1) 1