The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

This is the most well said simply put case for why we should be full on normal I've heard. 

"Not worth the risk."   

That's exactly what they (powers that be) are all saying.  And they don't mean the risk to health.  They mean the risk they run in getting the wrath of the blue checkmark brigade for "cases!"  

Nothing* will be different in October (the month my kid's school district is fake claiming they will start in person) it will be in January; but nothing will be different in January.  Nothing will be different in March.  

If you can't explain why it will, there is no other option but to move on.....we can assess the risk.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Not sure if this is a repost but,

https://thenationalpulse.com/news/un-expert-says-covid-19-bioweapon/

WORLD ACADEMY OF BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES PRESIDENT AND RENOWNED BIOTECH EXPERT GIUSEPPE TRITTO HAS ALLEGED THAT COVID-19 WAS MAN-MADE,HAILING FROM A CHINESE MILITARY-LED EXPERIMENT, AND THAT IT’S “EXTREMELY UNLIKELY” THAT A SUCCESSFUL VACCINE WILL BE INVENTED.

29 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Thank you Trump voters‼️

U.S. reports highest number of covid-19 deaths in one day since mid-May

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29dbtnxvrzpo2zhafc7o

Hope you feel real good about your choice. 

You can’t tell me Trump deserves a four year extension after 170,000 deaths.

image.thumb.jpeg.ddb3e03cabf40df0ab0784ced101fc57.jpeg

Congrats you're a dupe:

From the NY Times on March 20th:  ALL fake leftist narratives used to make this political and blame Trump all debunked in this one report that was right at the beginning of the crisis----Trump saved 1 million minimum, HCQ shows promise, hope from experts the virus will just "go away," and the masks your neighbor is making don't work:

Dr. Neil M. Ferguson, a British epidemiologist who is regarded as one of the best disease modelers in the world, produced a sophisticated model with a worst case of 2.2 million deaths in the United States.

I asked Ferguson for his best case. “About 1.1 million deaths,” he said...

...“The best case is that the virus mutates and actually dies out,” said Dr. Larry Brilliant, an epidemiologist who as a young doctor was part of the fight to eradicate smallpox.... 

..Scientists have hopes for remdesivir, originally developed for Ebola; chloroquine, an old anti-malaria drug; and some anti-H.I.V. and immune-boosting drugs. Many other drugs are also lined up for trials....

A doctor wanted to know: Could cloth be used to construct makeshift masks?

The answer: not very well, but it’s better than nothing. The need is so acute that the C.D.C. has posted official guidance advising that doctors and nurses “might use homemade masks (e.g., bandanna, scarf) for care of patients with Covid-19 as a last resort.”

https://nyti.ms/3a7S2xC

Trump saved over 1 million people minimum.

Big facts.

4 more years. 

Have a nice evening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, GG said:

"And I then I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in one minute, and is there a way you can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning. Because you see it gets in the lungs, and it does a tremendous number on the lungs. So it'd be interesting to check that

15 hours ago, GG said:

He asked his team about treatments that are possible and under research.  To which Bryan responded, we will look at it.

Was it typical Trumpian bungling of a topic?  Yes. 

Was it Trump recommending drinking bleach?  Far from it.

The fact that you have to stretch the outrage to bring up 4 people who drank sanitizers to get drunk continues to prove your stupidity. 

BTW, does this product meet the definition of ingested sanitizer?  

I quoted the President proving he is a total moron, something you can't refute, and you know it.

Chinese officials say chicken wings imported from Brazil tested positive for Covid-19

(CNN)A sample of frozen chicken wings imported from Brazil has tested positive for the novel coronavirus in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, authorities said Thursday, the latest in a series of reports of contaminated imported food products.

Shenzhen health authorities immediately traced and tested people who might have come into contact with the product, and all results came back negative; all related products in stock have been sealed off and tested negative, the statement said.

News of the contaminated chicken wings comes a day after coronavirus was found on the packaging of shrimps imported from Ecuador, another South American country, at a restaurant in eastern Anhui province during a routine inspection, China's state broadcaster CCTV reported.

Coronavirus has been detected on the packaging of imported seafood products across several cities in China.

Since July, there have been seven instances where the virus was detected on the packaging of imported seafood products across the country, from Shandong province on the eastern coast to the municipality of Chongqing in the west, according to state media reports.

These incidents have sparked concerns over the safety of imported foods. Chinese health authorities have repeatedly told the public to be cautious about buying imported meat and seafood. On Chinese social media, some have called for the suspension of all frozen food imports.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/asia/china-coronavirus-chicken-wings-intl-hnk/index.html

image.thumb.png.45b46b17f625f36787ba256b2fd2503f.png

image.thumb.png.8f901c156cf69fe454d0f85e8b0c488f.png

image.thumb.png.75aee50f98a0c374cbef297921f8dad4.png

Lots more visualizations in one place in this NYT article

The article notes what I was saying about the CDC data earlier this week that the tagging of causes of deaths takes a long time to trickle through the counting system. There are currently 60K deaths above the expected that have not (yet) been tagged as covid. Nothing revelatory but just good data visuals. 

Louisiana is an interesting chart because they got hit early and you can see their spike looks more like a NE state graph. Early, bad treatments, high viral loads, poor prevention measures, etc is why those early states go whacked. You can also see how well western states seem to have flattened their curve. There is no spike (Midwest has this but to a lesser extent).  

Edited by shoshin

What a bull#### chart and article from the NY Times.  More mainstream analysis that lacks complete context and understanding of how things are working.

Look at how they attempt to portray Texas in that chart, as if it's going through some huge excess death surge.   Texas has the lowest per capita death rate due to Coronavirus out of any of the large state along with California.  

Even according to CDC which is severely under counted, but even if you were to accept their analysis, anywhere between 16%-40% of all the excess deaths are not COVID-19 related deaths.    And we know how shoddy the reporting systems have been and classifying deaths that aren't truly COVID as COVID deaths.

It's amazing how people from the NY times and other mainstream outlets are not able to add 2+2 and realize that the answer is 4.    When we know that the average person who dies of COVID is 78years old (some countries show 80) with 2.7 comorbidities and that 42% of the COVID deaths came from nursing homesAnd knowing that the average person in a nursing home has a life expectancy of 5 months. When you consider these undeniable facts, that the vast majority of deaths when you look at the NON COVID excess deaths and the Nursing home/average age of 78 year old with 2.7 comorbidites, that a low percentage of people that have died have died strictly due to COVID.

I don't expect their readers to apply critical thinking and see that common sense doesn't jive with their narrative, it's the news media organizations that are either purposely misleading people or that they are so desperate to push a narrative that they are oblivious to context and common sense.

• the median length of stay in a nursing home before death was 5 months 
    • the average length of stay was longer at 14 months due to a small number of study participants who had very long lengths of stay 
    • 65% died within 1 year of nursing home admission 
    • 53% died within 6 months of nursing home admission

And no, Louisiana was not hit hard because of that.  It was primarily New Orleans as most of the rest of Louisiana was relatively spared.  They just happened to be a city that was seeded early on and it spread like wildfire until they burnt out.   What is happening now with Louisiana is that the rest of the cities like Shreveport, Lafayette, Baton Rouge among other cities are now having their turn at this musical COVID chairs. 

Recommendation, if you are going to read anything about COVID from a mainstream outlet, apply some additional thought and research.  Most of the time you will find that it's all bull####.

Edited by Magox
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Lots more visualizations in one place in this NYT article

The article notes what I was saying about the CDC data earlier this week that the tagging of causes of deaths takes a long time to trickle through the counting system. There are currently 60K deaths above the expected that have not (yet) been tagged as covid. Nothing revelatory but just good data visuals. 

Louisiana is an interesting chart because they got hit early and you can see their spike looks more like a NE state graph. Early, bad treatments, high viral loads, poor prevention measures, etc is why those early states go whacked. You can also see how well western states seem to have flattened their curve. There is no spike (Midwest has this but to a lesser extent).  

It’s difficult to take thus article seriously without perspective on the widely held belief that non-COVID deaths are counted as COVID, the financial incentives to count deaths as COVID, and a highly placed member of the national team estimating the numbers are inflated by upwards of 25%.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It’s difficult to take thus article seriously without perspective on the widely held belief that non-COVID deaths are counted as COVID, the financial incentives to count deaths as COVID, and a highly placed member of the national team estimating the numbers are inflated by upwards of 25%.  

You are right not to take it seriously because it's all bull#### lacking in context with out sized disproportionate looking charts that don't accurately reflect anything resembling reality.

1 hour ago, shoshin said:

Thanks for sharing these charts. I’m a visual learner and a data driven guy. Notice that I edited out the analysis (no offense), which always seems to be full of opinions and speculation and of course politics! So what do learn from these charts? We learn that this is a large country and the virus moves slowly when travel is restricted. We also learn that without a cure there’s virtually no place that would be immune from its impact...no matter whether a State is red or blue. But most importantly we’ve learned after months and months that the virus is nowhere near the cataclysmic disaster that the CDC and mainstream media predicted it would be! We’ve not overrun our health care system. Nobody is dying in the street. The vast majority of fatalities are seniors with other health challenges. Finally, we’ve learned staying away from other people of course slows the spread but that the spread is pretty much inevitable and nowhere near as bad as predicted. 

2 hours ago, ALF said:

Chinese officials say chicken wings imported from Brazil tested positive for Covid-19

(CNN)A sample of frozen chicken wings imported from Brazil has tested positive for the novel coronavirus in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen, authorities said Thursday, the latest in a series of reports of contaminated imported food products.

Shenzhen health authorities immediately traced and tested people who might have come into contact with the product, and all results came back negative; all related products in stock have been sealed off and tested negative, the statement said.

News of the contaminated chicken wings comes a day after coronavirus was found on the packaging of shrimps imported from Ecuador, another South American country, at a restaurant in eastern Anhui province during a routine inspection, China's state broadcaster CCTV reported.

Coronavirus has been detected on the packaging of imported seafood products across several cities in China.

Since July, there have been seven instances where the virus was detected on the packaging of imported seafood products across the country, from Shandong province on the eastern coast to the municipality of Chongqing in the west, according to state media reports.

These incidents have sparked concerns over the safety of imported foods. Chinese health authorities have repeatedly told the public to be cautious about buying imported meat and seafood. On Chinese social media, some have called for the suspension of all frozen food imports.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/13/asia/china-coronavirus-chicken-wings-intl-hnk/index.html

I'm fairly confident that 350° oil for a few minutes would kill it... if not then perhaps the Frank's will!

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

49 minutes ago, Magox said:

You are right not to take it seriously because it's all bull#### lacking in context with out sized disproportionate looking charts that don't accurately reflect anything resembling reality.

I am the first to admit I'm not one to dive deep into data, charts, projections and analysis.  I appreciate you being willing to do so, and to some extent, @shoshin and certainly others do as well. 

I'm a behavior and modeling guy.  That's not to say I'm a model, though with the fashion trend being all about the mask these days, maybe I could. My mother-in-law always said I wear clothes nicely. 

I like to look at what's said, what's suggested, what the experts say and then what follows.  In this case, I read it as a journalist cherry picking which data is relevant, deciding which data and public commentary should be withheld from the public and pushing forth with an agenda.  I've seen it far too often to accept this sort of drivel at face value. 

I just read a story about NH Gov setting out a mandate on the Laconia motorcycle rally.  He is mandating wearing masks for all attendees when in gatherings of 100 or more. Says Sturgis left him concerned.   At the same time, the mandate does not apply to other groups and settings, which to me, makes little sense. Personally, I don't see the magic at 100 v 50 v 25 or 10, but whatever.  If the magic number is 100, why not just apply equally across the board? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I am the first to admit I'm not one to dive deep into data, charts, projections and analysis.  I appreciate you being willing to do so, and to some extent, @shoshin and certainly others do as well. 

I'm a behavior and modeling guy.  That's not to say I'm a model, though with the fashion trend being all about the mask these days, maybe I could. My mother-in-law always said I wear clothes nicely. 

I like to look at what's said, what's suggested, what the experts say and then what follows.  In this case, I read it as a journalist cherry picking which data is relevant, deciding which data and public commentary should be withheld from the public and pushing forth with an agenda.  I've seen it far too often to accept this sort of drivel at face value. 

I just read a story about NH Gov setting out a mandate on the Laconia motorcycle rally.  He is mandating wearing masks for all attendees when in gatherings of 100 or more. Says Sturgis left him concerned.   At the same time, the mandate does not apply to other groups and settings, which to me, makes little sense. Personally, I don't see the magic at 100 v 50 v 25 or 10, but whatever.  If the magic number is 100, why not just apply equally across the board? 

A big problem with how COVID "news" and "analysis" is disseminated aside from their obvious inherent political biases is that common sense and critical thinking has been completely taken out of the equation.   

• Like (+1) 1