The Next Pandemic: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19

Hedge

13 minutes ago, Magox said:

He doesn't know what he is talking about.   He parrots mainstream analysis.

Your obsession with me is odd and spreading this particular lie is stranger. 

I believe every state should be open, including all schools. I think the long term economic and human fallout of closings is much worse than what we save by closures. I expect we will establish a long term leveling/slow decline by about mid-September. We flattened the curve enough a long time ago. 

I suspect that you think those positions are not held by the "mainstream analysis," whatever that is. My mainstream belief is that I do believe masks work to slow the spread. Oh, and I've got that crazy belief in vaccines. 

So maybe stop lying about me just because I poke holes in your numbers sometimes. We agree on the politics on this a lot.

Edited by shoshin

Victory over the virus!!!

After 102 COVID-Free Days, New Zealand Detects 4 New Cases, Reimposes Lockdown Restrictions

As of noon Wednesday, Auckland residents are asked to remain home except to purchase essentials, such as medicine and food. All non-essential businesses would be closed, including schools, the prime minister said. Traveling into Auckland for non-residents will also be banned. The Level 3 restrictions will last until midnight Friday.

The rest of the country will go into Alert Level 2 for the same period of time, meaning that residents are asked to social distance and mass gatherings are limited to 100 people, Arden said.

https://www.newsweek.com/after-102-covid-free-days-new-zealand-detects-4-new-cases-reimposes-lockdown-restrictions-1524282

Person with functional brain:  "How is any of this sustainable?"  

11 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Victory over the virus!!!

After 102 COVID-Free Days, New Zealand Detects 4 New Cases, Reimposes Lockdown Restrictions

As of noon Wednesday, Auckland residents are asked to remain home except to purchase essentials, such as medicine and food. All non-essential businesses would be closed, including schools, the prime minister said. Traveling into Auckland for non-residents will also be banned. The Level 3 restrictions will last until midnight Friday.

The rest of the country will go into Alert Level 2 for the same period of time, meaning that residents are asked to social distance and mass gatherings are limited to 100 people, Arden said.

https://www.newsweek.com/after-102-covid-free-days-new-zealand-detects-4-new-cases-reimposes-lockdown-restrictions-1524282

Person with functional brain:  "How is any of this sustainable?"  

If they were smart, they'd open now, especially now that we know so many better treatment protocols. Their hospitals should not be overwhelmed.  

58 minutes ago, Gary M said:

image.thumb.png.fb06b0c1d8cb0e275649953888d34324.pngimage.thumb.png.a3c6fb5daa16849dad92d73b03ddedfd.png

It'll be a curious week to see if post-storms, we are level or drop. I don't think we'll see another rise above where we are right now until this is over. The only thing that could change that is the fall/winter and if there's a seasonal rise. 

Watching what happens in the states where colleges and schools open will be informative. I'm not worried about the kids--but I wonder if there will be any spread increase. In the EU, they have not had a problem in schools. Even if we see a small rise, I don't think we'll ever get back to our current levels. (But of course, none of us knows.)

Edited by shoshin

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

Obama and Clinton remarks about other topics don't seem relevant to Trump's remark about Covid in the Covid thread.

In other news, I shared information on the TB vaccine earlier and how it might help against Covid-19. And there's the continuing good news on masks lowering viral load and the impact of this on illness (sorry anti-maskers, you can skip this). Both preliminary but the TB correlation seems high and I've had a doctor friend talking about the mask/viral load thing since April (he's an ENT and this has been his concern, ie, his load exposure when he does a head/neck procedures on a Covid patient is much higher). 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/health/us-coronavirus-tuesday/index.html

I'm going to ignore the ridiculousness around the vaccines are like training your immune system (doesn't natural exposure do the same thing?)

Instead I'll focus on this idiocy.  What does this even mean:

"What the mask does is really reduce the amount of virus that you get in, if you do get infected," she said. "And by reducing that ... you have a lower dose, you're able to manage it, you're able to have a calm response and you have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all."

If this is the case, well hell, that means the 99% of cases that dont end up in a hospital let alone dead, by just by putting a face diaper on, we decrease hospitalizations even more!  

Combine that with massive outdoor protests not leading to any increase in infections, you're going to really need to justify for me why we aren't at any outdoor event like baseball or football games.  Why there are capacity limits.  And why we just cant take it upon ourselves to not touch our face and use hand sanitizer. 

We are so dumb.  

"What the mask does is really reduce the amount of virus that you get in, if you do get infected," she said. "And by reducing that ... you have a lower dose, you're able to manage it, you're able to have a calm response and you have mild symptoms or no symptoms at all."

If this is the case, well hell, that means the 99% of cases that dont end up in a hospital let alone dead, by just by putting a face diaper on, we decrease hospitalizations even more!  

Combine that with massive outdoor protests not leading to any increase in infections, you're going to really need to justify for me why we aren't at any outdoor event like baseball or football games.  Why there are capacity limits.  And why we just cant take it upon ourselves to not touch our face and use hand sanitizer. 

We are so dumb.  

The viral load research on Covid is early and not definitive. I wouldn't put a lot of weight on that conclusion yet, your exaggerated response notwithstanding. 

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

GREAT MOMENTS IN GASLIGHTING:

SWEDEN-GOOGLE-566x600.png

Lies, damned lies, and the Democrat-Media Complex.

Bad news gets eyeballs. Not exactly news. I'm sure the Cuomo mentions are way down since April too. 

Edit...in fact, they are:

image.thumb.png.71a37e8a7ab561bac5c3cb281793170f.png

"Covid" tracks the cases/deaths almost perfectly. 

image.thumb.png.df1c845b8e426121e9ed96097e46ab31.png

Edited by shoshin

2 hours ago, shoshin said:

Obama and Clinton remarks about other topics don't seem relevant to Trump's remark about Covid in the Covid thread.

I wasn't aware we were suddenly using Robert's Rules of Order for the COVID (or any other) thread.

Besides, it wasn't about Trump's comments, it was about your characterization of supporters as follows:

The backbending to defend this by comparing it to chemotherapy is silly. It is not the end of the world that he did this. It was just one of his gaffes borne of his world class narcissism that makes him think he’d know more than the scientists and suggest something that is actually pretty moronic. 

Since you opined about silliness, since you opined about gaffes, since you opined about world class narcissism, I thought I would reply in kind.  That's the nature of interaction. 

14 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I wasn't aware we were suddenly using Robert's Rules of Order for the COVID (or any other) thread.

Ha!

14 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Besides, it wasn't about Trump's comments, it was about your characterization of supporters as follows:

The backbending to defend this by comparing it to chemotherapy is silly. It is not the end of the world that he did this. It was just one of his gaffes borne of his world class narcissism that makes him think he’d know more than the scientists and suggest something that is actually pretty moronic. 

Since you opined about silliness, since you opined about gaffes, since you opined about world class narcissism, I thought I would reply in kind.  That's the nature of interaction. 

You engaged in whataboutism when you brought up Obama and Clinton. We all do it but it's weak and doesn't advance the topic on the table.

Edited by shoshin

26 minutes ago, shoshin said:

Ha!

You engaged in whataboutism when you brought up Obama and Clinton. We all do it but it's weak and doesn't advance the topic on the table.

I did no such thing, I simply commented about the nature of humans in regards to a mini-op-ed you posted about silliness and the like.  If you perceive that as a 'whatabout Biden' that's your limitation, not mine.  I also would concur that while your characterizations about people you disagree with added little to a thread entitled "The next pandemic...", the fact is that you opined and I replied.  

Finally, if we're really being sincere, your unsubstantiated and purely anecdotal comments about having clients in Sweden (pop: 10,000,000+) add little to the dialogue, unless of course your Swedish clients total in the millions.  Taking it one step further if, for example, a poster cited a similar experience and we later discovered they sold school supplies to teachers across the country, their experience certainly would not be indicative of what might be happening in other sectors of the economy.  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29633697/heart-condition-linked-covid-19-fuels-power-5-concern-season-viability

A rare heart condition that could be linked with the coronavirus is fueling concern among Power 5 conference administrators about the viability of college sports this fall.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.

ADVERTISEMENT

The condition is usually caused by a viral infection, including those that cause the common cold, H1N1 influenza or mononucleosis. Left undiagnosed and untreated, it can cause heart damage and sudden cardiac arrest, which can be fatal. It is a rare condition, but the COVID-19 virus has been linked with myocarditis with a higher frequency than other viruses, based on limited studies and anecdotal evidence since the start of the pandemic.

The concern has "made the bar higher" for returning to fall sports, said Dr. Jonathan Drezner, director of the University of Washington Medicine Center for Sports Cardiology and a sports medicine physician who advises the NCAA on cardiac issues, "and it could be we don't get there."

If you're not going to wear masks and socially distance, perhaps we need to provide 'morality pills' that will adjust your moral behavior so you will be a more obedient sheep.

But I believe society may be better off, both in the short term as well as the long, by boosting not the body’s ability to fight off disease but the brain’s ability to cooperate with others. What if researchers developed and delivered a moral enhancer rather than an immunity enhancer?

Moral enhancement is the use of substances to make you more moral. The psychoactive substances act on your ability to reason about what the right thing to do is, or your ability to be empathetic or altruistic or cooperative.

7 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Everyone willing to line up for the morality pill that gets you to fall in line with government recommended vaccinations? Being cooperative with law enforcement seems like it would be largely in the public interest, no?  Take the pill. How about taking the morality pill to get people to not riot and attempt to burn down federal buildings? 

• Like (+1) 1