The fair catch, that wasn't.

peterpan

And to answer everyone's question: yes. Resoundingly, yes.  A thousand times YES!!!   That is EXACTLY how I want to win that game.  

I yearn for the day when a complete miscarriage of officiating results in a historic win for a Buffalo franchise.  I dream of the day when I can sit down some stranger's bewildered and frightened children and tell them all about the day the Buffalo Bills won a super bowl due to sheer officiating incompetence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Hey @Alphadawg7 what if he did everything the same except at the last second realized some of the Bills players had started walking to the sideline? Then ran it it back for a TD? by rule that’s a TD and the bills should have been more attentive. I think the same standard should be held to the returner. The ref even waved his hand at him warning him not to toss it. 

He gave himself up.  Play was over.  0% chance you or any other person on this board would agree it would be a TD had a Bills player did that.  All of you would be yelling he gave himself up.  Anyone claiming otherwise is lying.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

ONE MILLION PERCENT no one would be claiming that was a TD had a Bills player been the one receiving and did that.  Anyone who claims they would still see it as a TD for the kicking team had the Bills been receiving that kick and that happened is lying.  

I made this account and came online just to talk about this because as a completely neutral fan (Giants/Lions fan a long time ago) who hasn't watched a game in years, I was sitting on my couch yelling "That's a safety!  This game is rigged!"  I cannot believe that there is not more outcry about this; it is literally the worst call I have ever seen, and it probably cost the Bills a playoff game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Sorry Dude, you're one million percent wrong. 

You cant read my mind,or discern my intent (unlike the menin black). 

As a Bills fan, if the shoe was on the other foot,I would've. Said "wow, we really dodged a bullet there.  That should have be a Texan TD"

You may believe that, but I would bet anything that would not be the case.

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Did it remain a TD?  No, so apparently it was clear to them.  There is literally nothing to discuss here. 

It was so clear there was a 5 minute conference on the field.  Its so clear that no one can show me how or where the runner "gave himself up" in accordance with known rules.  I guess every call is clear by virtue of the final decision, right? 

Your reasoning is impeccable.  Good luck.

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He gave himself up.  Play was over.  0% chance you or any other person on this board would agree it would be a TD had a Bills player did that.  All of you would be yelling he gave himself up.  Anyone claiming otherwise is lying.

When and how did he give himself up? You know there are.....wait for it.....rules about how a player can and does give himself up.  Should be easy to spot, right?

Let me save the hamster a few spins around the old cranium.  In the end, your argument and a few others boil down to this: returners have been violating the rules all year with impunity and you're uncomfortable with the outcome of the enforcement of the rule.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

It was so clear there was a 5 minute conference on the field.  Its so clear that no one can show me how or where the runner "gave himself up" in accordance with known rules.  I guess every call is clear by virtue of the final decision, right? 

Your reasoning is impeccable.  Good luck.

Yet it was over turned.  Who cares how long they talked about it, it was not a TD.  Its not even on the list of why we lost this game.  Should not have been a TD, will never be called a TD.  A player can be determined to have given himself up, and its not the first time thats been a ruling before.  

There are about 100 other reasons and plays of why we lost Saturday, this isn't one of them.  I said it the moment they showed the replay the first time so I can see what happened...no way this TD stands.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You may believe that, but I would bet anything that would not be the case.

Google clemson v South Carolina state kickoff TD. 

This was PRECISELY the same play. 

And gues what?

it was called a TD. 

Imagine that. Refs following the rules when player makes a stupid mistake. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

And gues what?

it was called a TD. 

Google NCAA vs NFL and guess what, PRECISELY different leagues with DIFFERENT rules.  And guess what, not a TD.  Imagine that, NFL refs ruling using NFL rules.  

What other non NFL rule leagues do you want me to google next?  Pop Warner clips?  XFL Clips?  CFL Clips?   How about the Lingerie League clips?  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What about the ref waving at him telling him the play is still going 

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

And to answer everyone's question: yes. Resoundingly, yes.  A thousand times YES!!!   That is EXACTLY how I want to win that game.  

I yearn for the day when a complete miscarriage of officiating results in a historic win for a Buffalo franchise.  I dream of the day when I can sit down some stranger's bewildered and frightened children and tell them all about the day the Buffalo Bills won a super bowl due to sheer officiating incompetence.

The Comeback?

Don Beebe stepped out of bounds on his long TD grab.  

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Google NCAA vs NFL and guess what, PRECISELY different leagues with DIFFERENT rules.  And guess what, not a TD.

You can say its not a TD 100 more times but that's not an argument and you have yet to offer one.  The funny part is that you're probably right but not for anything even resembling a valid reason.  

The difference between the NCAA rules and NFL rules has already been discussed, and guess what, you're incorrect again.  Perhaps you should go back and read the first 16 pages and save yourself some face.  

I'll ask again, when did the runner give himself up according to league rules?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

When Dak had the coin toss issue a few weeks ago - i didnt mind that they changed it.  Why?  because it didn't happen on the field.  It's completely procedural.  The fact that they still have a live coin toss on the field is wholly unnecessary.  They could easily figure this out in the locker room or during warmups, or just have home teams get the ball in the 2nd half.  

This call bothers me because it happened on the field.  I don't care what the intention was.  I intended to dive into the endzone for a TD, but fumbled it into the end zone.  I'll take the ball back please.  Since when does intent matter in a football game?

5 minutes ago, Chemical said:

What about the ref waving at him telling him the play is still going 

What about refs who throw flags that get picked up?  

Refs are human and thats why there are multiple refs on the field and they discuss to get the call right.  Refs mistakenly throw flags all the time, and they also mistakenly dont throw flags when they should.  

You want to complain about a ref mistake, then complain about the delay of game that wasn't called on the 3rd and 18 play or the phantom call on Ford in OT.  

I'm only speaking once on this matter and never again because I don't even wanna keep thinking about it

If it happened to the Bills, tough sh**, it was an incompetent play and a fumble

In the actual game it was an incompetent play and a fumble.. in all my life around the game I have never seen that called as giving yourself up... The ref back there knew it too because he didn't catch it and called it a TD

Then the league suits overturned it

In HS it's a TD, college and the NFL... No doubt in my mind

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

And gues what?

it was called a TD. 

It isn't the same, because the South Carolina player passed the ball backwards. That's a live ball.

When a runner passes the ball forward, it's a dead ball when it hits the ground. You can't recover it.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What about refs who throw flags that get picked up?  

Refs are human and thats why there are multiple refs on the field and they discuss to get the call right.  Refs mistakenly throw flags all the time, and they also mistakenly dont throw flags when they should.  

You want to complain about a ref mistake, then complain about the delay of game that wasn't called on the 3rd and 18 play or the phantom call on Ford in OT.  

But giving yourself up means the play is over, so when did he give himself up? You still never answered it. The ref instead of blowing the whistle waved his hand and moved out of the way. You say that's a mistake on his part, but you still haven't said why.

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

You can say its not a TD 100 more times but that's not an argument and you have yet to offer one.  The funny part is that you're probably right but not for anything even resembling a valid reason.  

The difference between the NCAA rules and NFL rules has already been discussed, and guess what, you're incorrect again.  Perhaps you should go back and read the first 16 pages and save yourself some face.  

I'll ask again, when did the runner give himself up according to league rules?

What are you talking about.  I gave a reason, same reason refs gave.  Player was determined to have given himself up, they can do that.  It was CLEAR AS DAY the player gave himself up on the play, even tried to hand the ball to the ref.  There is nothing left to discuss or explain.  You just want to refuse to accept that, and thats on you.  I am not the one who needs to further explain that, you want to claim it should be a TD (yet at the same time above basically acknowledge its not).

Sorry, it wasn't a TD, nor should have it been.