NFL Attendance Hits a 15-Year Low

...probably a crusty, old "senior moment" observation, but here goes.....I continually tell my kids, "as you grow more successful in life, NEVER forget your roots (damn right I practice what I preach)"......"yes you can upgrade the quality of your life, but do not flaunt it"......the NFL HAS forgotten its roots now as a mega BILLION cash cow.......the Diehard Joe Fan that was their roots has become an after thought kicked to the curb......perhaps their new motto should be, "we needed you then. but not anymore"..... several other posters have offered significantly valuable opinions, but "NFL forgetting their roots" bugs the hell outta me.....

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....uh oh......expected?.......officiating?.....cash cow outta milk?....other ideas as to attendance tank?...interesting.......

NFL attendance hits a 15-year low

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2020, 1:28 PM EST

More people are watching the NFL on TV. Fewer people are watching the NFL in person.

According to David Broughton and Andrew Levin of Sports Business Daily, the NFL averaged 66,648 attendees at home games in 2019. That’s the lowest average since 2004.

The Cowboys averaged 90,929, leading the league for 11 straight seasons. Fifteen teams saw a decline in attendance, led by the Jaguars (8.7 percent drop), Raiders (7.6 percent) and Bengals (7.0 percent).

Two teams saw an increase of more than five percent. Washington’s audience grew by 7.3 percent (the stadium was still at less than 80 percent capacity), and the Bills have a 6.0-percent jump.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/03/nfl-attendance-hits-a-15-year-low/#comments

washington’s attendance went up?   is that some sort of punishment for people committing petty crimes or speeding in the dc area?  

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

The older I get, the less I like crowds, driving 3 plus hours each way, and the more I like my Sunday routine and having whatever game I wish on the big screen and surfIng the Sunday Ticket app on the iPad.

This sums it up for me totally, although I'm only an hour away from the stadium. The sheer cost also keeps me, and likely others away. 30 dollars to park, 200 dollars (minimum) for tickets, 10 dollar beers, etc. I can watch at home, and in warm weather, watch on the covered patio, with a grille, a 30 pack for the price of two beers, NFL ticket, no hassles, no traffic, or DUI concerns. As I've gotten older, it's too easy to just be comfortable. I do miss the tailgating atmosphere, but not enough to go anymore.

• Like (+1) 1

I've been to dozens and dozens of Bills games in the past..mostly home and some away.  I have sat in 70 degree weather in September....and through freezing rain and sleet, and in snow.  Games with frigid wind chills, winning seasons, losing seasons. All of it.  The At-home experience is just better for me. You can see more/better on your TV than almost any seat at the stadium. It is cheaper, food and drink are better. Less hassle less travel. I can sit by myself have a small group over, or a big group over. And many other points others have stated in this thread.

I don't need to attend a game in person to prove how much of a 'man' I am or to prove I am not a 'wuss' anymore.  I guess other people feel differently though an feel the need to post about it.

Edited by mjd1001
added content

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

i 100% agree with this. TV timeouts kill me. Watching teams stand around when its 20 degrees outside waiting for a progressive commercial to end is nauseating. 

Advertising and the way American TV networks have chosen to televise NFL games should have destroyed the sport by now.

It is only going to get worse until viewership numbers on TV drop in significant numbers, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

NFL games are now so disjointed they are like a 3 hour commercial briefly interrupted at times by a football game.

• Like (+1) 2

They need to tweak some of the ticket prices..... paying $100+ for nose bleeds in some of these stadiums is ridiculous.... then after you do that, lower the price of the concessions... You figure that might sell more seats and more concessions.  
Not only that figure out how to provide entertainment at Halftime or even before the game.

Shoot, look how they started using their brains when it came to the NFL Draft.... there’s smart people, figure out how to get more butts in seats and sell you product. Lower the cost of beer helps. 

20 hours ago, RiotAct said:

Every year it seems to get a tad more commercialized.

”This coin toss brought to you by Western New York Urology!”

”This Pass Interference challenge brought to you by Picasso’s Pizza!”

”This measurement brought ti you by XSentuals Gifts and Lingerie!!!”

Don't forget the Caruba Collision of the game ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

...my "Cliff Notes" version take...who bestest and fastest feeds the NFL's salacious desires for cash?

1, TV/advertising revenues.

2. Corporate money.

3. Merchandise sales.

4.Average Joe scraping together bucks to take his family.

....sorry average Joe...you may HAVE BEEN the unwavering supporting rock that got the whole thing going....today?....not even a pimple on their radar...cut the grass or shovel snow.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy