NFL Attendance Hits a 15-Year Low

....uh oh......expected?.......officiating?.....cash cow outta milk?....other ideas as to attendance tank?...interesting.......

NFL attendance hits a 15-year low

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2020, 1:28 PM EST

More people are watching the NFL on TV. Fewer people are watching the NFL in person.

According to David Broughton and Andrew Levin of Sports Business Daily, the NFL averaged 66,648 attendees at home games in 2019. That’s the lowest average since 2004.

The Cowboys averaged 90,929, leading the league for 11 straight seasons. Fifteen teams saw a decline in attendance, led by the Jaguars (8.7 percent drop), Raiders (7.6 percent) and Bengals (7.0 percent).

Two teams saw an increase of more than five percent. Washington’s audience grew by 7.3 percent (the stadium was still at less than 80 percent capacity), and the Bills have a 6.0-percent jump.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/03/nfl-attendance-hits-a-15-year-low/#comments

This is a shame. I’d be there in a heartbeat if I could but health keeps me away once it gets too cold. My daughter went to the Jets game and HATED it. Even in clubs it was too much. 

I will keep going when I can and support them via team clothes and ask you all to pick up my slack! ? 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

As much fun as it's been with the Bills finally looking like a professional football team again I can honestly say the in stadium atmosphere just isn't what it used to be.  Still a good time just not a GREAT time IMO.

Every year it seems to get a tad more commercialized.

”This coin toss brought to you by Western New York Urology!”

”This Pass Interference challenge brought to you by Picasso’s Pizza!”

”This measurement brought ti you by XSentuals Gifts and Lingerie!!!”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

Every year it seems to get a tad more commercialized.

”This coin toss brought to you by Western New York Urology!”

”This Pass Interference challenge brought to you by Picasso’s Pizza!”

”This measurement brought ti you by XSentuals Gifts and Lingerie!!!”

I agree 100%.  The atmosphere is much more cookie cutter now.  I guess it's a plus for people who want to bring their whole family and make it a family friendly day but it's not the same atmosphere I fell in love with going to games as a kid at Rich Stadium(yeah I know same place technically) with my old man and Uncles. 

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

This is a shame. I’d be there in a heartbeat if I could but health keeps me away once it gets too cold. My daughter went to the Jets game and HATED it. Even in clubs it was too much. 

I mean... I don’t blame her. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The older I get, the less I like crowds, driving 3 plus hours each way, and the more I like my Sunday routine and having whatever game I wish on the big screen and surfIng the Sunday Ticket app on the iPad.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 6

I think the Chargers playing in a small arena and not drawing well along with Oakland turning on the Raiders plus the Redskins fanbase completely abandoning them all have contributed to things declining. That's 3 markets that were usually good in attendance having their worst years. I also think that the cost of attending games going up hasn't helped other markets. 

Well, as in all things, too many sweets gives you a cavity, in other words, to much Football, it’s no longer special, so people take it for granted, and stopped going to or watching the games, which likely hit the old pocket book were NFL merchandise is s sold as well.  Now the hard core fans can’t get to much football in theory, but all the “‘extra cash” that was coming in was from those that got the cavity, if you get my meaning...

The NFL gilded the Lilly, it’s far to corporate, everything costs an arm and a leg at the stadium, food, drink souvenirs, they are now selling add space for every little thing, it is killing the true spirit/ environment of the game day experience, no one wants to hear about who is the sponsor of the biggest hit/catch/block/two minutes warning etc. That and it has become extremely obvious that a lot of players purposely try to hurt their opponent, on top of the concussion/ brain injury thing.... oh and the referees by and large suck it. 

Thats all I got fellas...

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Success said:

70" HDTV's.  Why ever leave the house?

I have a different situation than most. 
I had season tickets for two years in college.

But I own my own business, which is open (and the busiest day is) on Sundays.

I live in Tonawanda, and I understand how many commute from wherever they commute from, but if I’m spending the money to have someone cover me at work, I don’t want to drive down and worry about how much I’m drinking, so then I’m finding a DD or taking an Uber or some other type of transport. 

Plus my family just doesn’t do it much.

Not to mention, why spend my day out in piss weather when, as posted above I can be comfortable in my own home with a great view from a 60” HDTV?

The fan experience will always be there and when my son gets to the right age (10?) I’m gonna take him to some games to experience what it is. And if he wants to do it that’s fine. But it’s become more work as opposed to plopping on the couch and enjoying myself.

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Exactly,  $100 parking, $20 beers, long lines, bad weather. No brainer. Sunday ticket pays for itself by week 2.

Exactly. This is a unfortunate reality of the process of technological advancement. Or to me a fortunate side effect.

i can pause, go to the bathroom right away, be warm, leave any time, even take a nooner with my fiancé or anything.  I love going to the games but not as much as I’d like to be comfortable at home.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....uh oh......expected?.......officiating?.....cash cow outta milk?....other ideas as to attendance tank?...interesting.......

NFL attendance hits a 15-year low

Posted by Mike Florio on January 3, 2020, 1:28 PM EST

More people are watching the NFL on TV. Fewer people are watching the NFL in person.

According to David Broughton and Andrew Levin of Sports Business Daily, the NFL averaged 66,648 attendees at home games in 2019. That’s the lowest average since 2004.

The Cowboys averaged 90,929, leading the league for 11 straight seasons. Fifteen teams saw a decline in attendance, led by the Jaguars (8.7 percent drop), Raiders (7.6 percent) and Bengals (7.0 percent).

Two teams saw an increase of more than five percent. Washington’s audience grew by 7.3 percent (the stadium was still at less than 80 percent capacity), and the Bills have a 6.0-percent jump.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/03/nfl-attendance-hits-a-15-year-low/#comments

The answer is contained in the very first sentence of the article.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1