Brian Daboll cost us the division title

Tesla03

17 hours ago, Tesla03 said:

Plain and simple. 

It was a great season but the fact we could have easily won our first division title since god knows how long this year puts a dark cloud over everything. Dabolls play calling in the pats game at home and the Browns game where singletary got something like 7 touches cost us big time. Daboll is a very lucky man because had it not been for our top 3 defense he would probably be getting fired tomorrow morning. 

This is the worst NE team of the Brady era and the best Bills team and we still couldn't beat them to the division title. 

In some ways which scares me i have to agree !! The Bills beat the Fins 2 times this year & couldn't deal the Pats 1 lose when there was son much on the line !

Fitz did his thing & beat the Pats but we couldn't & just by watching the Bills - Pats game it looked as though they didn't play them the right way & given the outcome of that game & this one this week they should have put the pedal to the medal & went for it not been so conservative .

Hopefully McD & company learns from this & takes it forward in order to be the best you need that killer instinct ! I have never seen the Pats stop scoring in a game when up by double digits they are always looking to destroy their opponent & that's the mind set the Bills need to get !! 

Appropriately so, it’s already been said several times in this thread. But it deserves repeating. By far, the primary problem with the offense was poor execution and a lack of legitimate play makers. Throw in the fact that we have an awesomely talented but raw quarterback who is still developing.  It’s probable that Daboll actually got about all anyone could with the available talent. IMO play calling was not the issue. I suggest the OP put his pitchfork and torch down and let’s see what happens after Josh has another year under his belt and get some actual play makers who don’t disappear from time to time like Smoke

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's easy to make excuses.........I've tried to rationalize why Daboll isn't as bad as the numbers say he is...........but ultimately your OC has to create a system where there is synergy created and it's not happening.   I think if you take a step back you gotta' admit.........it's an indictment of coaching when you have been in a place for two years and you can't even run screen plays effectively.    I am loathe to change OC's again so I hope they get top 10 skill player talent around Allen next year so the offense can be good regardless of Daboll's chronic inability to create rhythm or any kind of identity offensively thru his coaching.

The thing about the excuses, though, is that sometimes they're valid. I remember a LOT of fans metaphorically high-fiving each other when Rex ran Roman out of town, and there was veritable dancing in the streets when Ralph forced Marv to fire Henning (which Marv refused to do - he retired instead). The very next season, Parcells hired Henning to call plays (while serving as QB coach), and lo and behold: Henning goes to a talented team, and they end up 5th in points, 4th in yards, and Vinny T has by far and away the best season of his career. The Jets go 12-4 and have a 10-0 lead in the AFC championship game before falling apart to a great Denver team. 

Bills fans LOVE to blame the coordinators, but it's almost always a lack of talent/execution that is the reason for the lack of production. The one big exception was Rex, who really did make a talented defensive unit underachieve. If Allen is even a moderately accurate deep thrower this season rather than being one of the very worst in the league, the yardage and point numbers would have looked a lot different.  Overall, the Bills fielded a low-talent offense with a sub-average offensive line. That line was a lot better than last year's, to be sure, but that's only because last year's line was such a joke. Daboll, for better or worse, has been cursed with low-talent offenses in every place he's OC'd at. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 4

21 hours ago, Agent 91 said:

Chan Gailey masquerading as a HC when all he cared about was offense was our best OC lol

Chan Gailey did some things very very well.

He did other things that had me wondering if he thought he had Aaron Rodgers instead of Ryan Fitzpatrick behind center.

I remember doing a lot of screaming during Gailey-coached offensive series

But Man that guy could design a pick-play and a helluva screen game

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The thing about the excuses, though, is that sometimes they're valid. I remember a LOT of fans metaphorically high-fiving each other when Rex ran Roman out of town, and there was veritable dancing in the streets when Ralph forced Marv to fire Henning (which Marv refused to do - he retired instead). The very next season, Parcells hired Henning to call plays (while serving as QB coach), and lo and behold: Henning goes to a talented team, and they end up 5th in points, 4th in yards, and Vinny T has by far and away the best season of his career. The Jets go 12-4 and have a 10-0 lead in the AFC championship game before falling apart to a great Denver team. 

Bills fans LOVE to blame the coordinators, but it's almost always a lack of talent/execution that is the reason for the lack of production. The one big exception was Rex, who really did make a talented defensive underachieve. If Allen is even a moderately accurate deep thrower this season rather than being one of the very worst in the league, the yardage and point numbers would have looked a lot different.  Overall, the Bills fielded a low-talent offense with a sub-average offensive line. That line was a lot better than last year's, to be sure, but that's only because last year's line was such a joke. Daboll, for better or worse, has been cursed with low-talent offenses in every place he's OC'd at. 

I think a somewhat more nuanced viewpoint than this is appropriate. 

Daboll is getting some unmerited hate here for play design that on the whole, effectively gets receivers open in the passing game.  Sometimes Allen misses the read, sometimes he misses the throw, sometimes both are "on point" and the receiver doesn't make the catch.

On the other hand, part of the "name of the game" for an NFL coordinator is making the most effective use of the pieces he's got.  And I can not absolve Daboll here.  I feel he spent too much time early in the season trying to fool opposing coordinators with unexpected use of personnel which gave us abortions like DiMarco and Smith out wide.  I don't think it can be denied he's made some head-shaking play calls and designs.  For example, Any Plan that leaves Knox 1:1 with Judon is a Bad Plan.  I feel he pays too much attention to designing excellent X's and O's that will theoretically work against our opponent (and is proven right) and not nearly enough attention to what our Jimmies and Joes can actually do.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think a somewhat more nuanced viewpoint than this is appropriate. 

Daboll is getting some unmerited hate here for play design that on the whole, effectively gets receivers open in the passing game.  Sometimes Allen misses the read, sometimes he misses the throw, sometimes both are "on point" and the receiver doesn't make the catch.

On the other hand, part of the "name of the game" for an NFL coordinator is making the most effective use of the pieces he's got.  And I can not absolve Daboll here.  I feel he spent too much time early in the season trying to fool opposing coordinators with unexpected use of personnel which gave us abortions like DiMarco and Smith out wide.  I don't think it can be denied he's made some head-shaking play calls and designs.  For example, Any Plan that leaves Knox 1:1 with Judon is a Bad Plan.  I feel he pays too much attention to designing excellent X's and O's that will theoretically work against our opponent (and is proven right) and not nearly enough attention to what our Jimmies and Joes can actually do.

Smith and DiMarco wide was about identifying what defense the opponents were in. It was him trying to simplify things for Josh. It didn't really work and he binned it pretty quickly.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Chan Gailey did some things very very well.

He did other things that had me wondering if he thought he had Aaron Rodgers instead of Ryan Fitzpatrick behind center.

I remember doing a lot of screaming during Gailey-coached offensive series

But Man that guy could design a pick-play and a helluva screen game

When I think of the "weapons" he was working with... wow. Fitz Donald Stevie Spiller  Jackson Chandler Nelson.... We should have been laughed out of the league but we actually had a formidable Offense. They were actually good. His downfall was his utter neglect... and ignorance of that defense. He was clueless

4 hours ago, T master said:

In some ways which scares me i have to agree !! The Bills beat the Fins 2 times this year & couldn't deal the Pats 1 lose when there was son much on the line !

Fitz did his thing & beat the Pats but we couldn't & just by watching the Bills - Pats game it looked as though they didn't play them the right way & given the outcome of that game & this one this week they should have put the pedal to the medal & went for it not been so conservative .

Hopefully McD & company learns from this & takes it forward in order to be the best you need that killer instinct ! I have never seen the Pats stop scoring in a game when up by double digits they are always looking to destroy their opponent & that's the mind set the Bills need to get !! 

I always go back to how the Eagles played the Pats in the super bowl....they left it all on the field, using every trick up their sleeve...and they played like their hair was on fire...McD needs to have that type of mentality to beat the Pats- and he just doesn’t seem to...