Joe B’s All 22 Review: Allen and Edmunds Struggle Big Time vs NE

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't see "regression" either.  I see improvement in decision making.  Where he needs to improve now is under pressure.  That seems to be where he makes "inaccurate" throws.  The game will slow down for him eventually and he will learn to take his outlet.

His problem is his feet. He sets correctly he can do it all. He has, IMO, regressed in terms of mechanics over the past couple weeks. Maybe it’s the defenses we’re playing (Pitt and ne) but sloppy is the only word I can come up with for his feet.

I hope, with time and countless reps that will improve.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

His problem is his feet. He sets correctly he can do it all. He has, IMO, regressed in terms of mechanics over the past couple weeks. Maybe it’s the defenses we’re playing (Pitt and ne) but sloppy is the only word I can come up with for his feet.

I hope, with time and countless reps that will improve.

Which is again... probably because he feels rushed.

17 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Which is again... probably because he feels rushed.

He is always going to feel rushed (It is, after all, called a pass rush), it’s the NFL. Mechanics, especially for a taller guy can’t fall apart because there is pressure. 

I’ll repeat, I hope that time and countless reps help him improve.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

He is always going to feel rushed (It is, after all, called a pass rush), it’s the NFL. Mechanics, especially for a taller guy can’t fall apart because there is pressure. 

Pass pro had more missed assignments vs Patriots than Allen had missed throws/reads from what I've seen

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We are talking about very thin margins just fyi

If the wideout drops clean up to NFL average we are looking at better passing stats

If pass pro executes slightly better we are looking at 1-2 more important plays per game w/positive outcomes for Bills

If Allen completes a few more passes/game or a few more deep throws over the course of the season he's probably statistically close to top 10

If the defense is able to maintain fundamentals on a couple key plays/drives our defensive PPG drops

...and this team still locked up a playoff spot w/2 games to go. If the above had occurred we are talking about a #1 overall seed imo and I doubt anyone would have expected that of this roster, this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Do you not think it makes you more vulnerable though in the pass game? I don't disagree with any of what you posted above but I just think the way the league is maybe the Bills do have to see a Snax type and live with whatever remaining vulnerability there is against the run in Tremaine for what he does in restricting passing opportunities in the middle. I know you can still slide him inside on obvious passing downs but he helps in early down situations when teams try and show run then attempt to pass. I dunno I just think he is a rare athlete and I might learn to accept he will never be a great run defender. Improve the D line's run stuffing ability and score more points early to force teams into passing. 

I'd rather have the playmaking ability from the outside and figure out how to get it done with someone else in the middle.    

The nice thing about him being trained inside now though is that should you run into an opponent that's spreading the field and you need him inside you could move him there that week.

The problem is that a lot of the elite teams now are running the ball with power to take advantage of the kind of "pass stopping" defenses like the Bills have built.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd rather have the playmaking ability from the outside and figure out how to get it done with someone else in the middle.    

The nice thing about him being trained inside now though is that should you run into an opponent that's spreading the field and you need him inside you could move him there that week.

The problem is that a lot of the elite teams now are running the ball with power to take advantage of the kind of "pass stopping" defenses like the Bills have built.

2020 is also the year where Kueckly’s contract flips the dead cap.   Will the new staff want to pay him $11 million and take a $15 million cap hit if they’re changing the scheme?

5 minutes ago, GG said:

2020 is also the year where Kueckly’s contract flips the dead cap.   Will the new staff want to pay him $11 million and take a $15 million cap hit if they’re changing the scheme?

They are also a historically bad run defense with plenty of money invested in Keuckly and now Thompson.  Highly likely Keuckly plays elsewhere next year.

26 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hmm. I am not convinced the power run thing is a pattern yet. Let's see. 

43 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Except when he doesn't feel rushed and can take all day, right?  For example, vs. Dallas.  Which had a top-10 D at the point in which we played them.  I'm not sure what the "taller guy" has to do with it.  It's having room to set his feet and follow through properly and as a tall guy, he does need more room.

There's a difference between having to account for a blitzer vs having your OL shoved 3 or 6 feet back into your lap as you pass.

43 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

We all do, but part of it is going to be more consistent play from the OL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Run defense is largely overrated. McD is on top of this. Edmunds is the result. 

Buffalo has a top defensive unit. It's the offense that will need to come along, defensively we are set especially at MLB. Run defense by and large doesn't matter.

I think this is closer to where I am on the modern game. If our offense can up its average production by 3 or 4 points a game it will force teams to throw more against us too. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Sorry Josh had one of the best outings all year vs the Patriots D

It's easy to say without those 2 long completions he sucked lol but guess what he made them

If he didn't Joe B would he crucifying him that he missed them

I really don't care what he says

And once again @Buffalo716 nails it.  As I pointed out elsewhere, the Pats have been allowing between 12-13 ppg all year.  The only 3 teams which managed more points than we did were the Ravens (37), Kansas City (23), and Houston (28).  Guess what, all playoff teams.  Also guess what, NE normally ratchets up at the end of the season when other teams relax a bit.

In that context, 17 points is not a horrible, regressive outing.  I thought it was pretty clear that unlike the Week 4 outing, Josh knew what he was seeing and knew where to go with the ball, he just didn't always get it there and perhaps at times still went for the "kill shot" when situationally, "move the chains" might have been best.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And once again @Buffalo716 nails it.  As I pointed out elsewhere, the Pats have been allowing between 12-13 ppg all year.  The only 3 teams which managed more points than we did were the Ravens (37), Kansas City (23), and Houston (28).  Guess what, all playoff teams.  Also guess what, NE normally ratchets up at the end of the season when other teams relax a bit.

In that context, 17 points is not a horrible, regressive outing.  I thought it was pretty clear that unlike the Week 4 outing, Josh knew what he was seeing and knew where to go with the ball, he just didn't always get it there and perhaps at times still went for the "kill shot" when situationally, "move the chains" might have been best.

Before the Bills game the Patriots had allowed 10 passing TDs to 25 INTs... Near historic numbers

Josh finished with over 200 and 2-0 TD INT ratio

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Before the Bills game the Patriots had allowed 10 passing TDs to 25 INTs... Near historic numbers

Josh finished with over 200 and 2-0 TD INT ratio

Also consider the Patriots defense has allowed exactly one other QB (Watson) to throw for multiple TDs against them. That's it the entire season- only two QBs w/multiple TD throws in a game vs Pats: Watson and Allen. Not Jackson, not Mahomes, not Prescott, not Darnold or Mayfield or Roethlisberger or Daniel ***** Jones

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think this is closer to where I am on the modern game. If our offense can up its average production by 3 or 4 points a game it will force teams to throw more against us too. 

Yea that’s where I’m at too. The run defense being poor is a product of the offense not scoring big numbers. Teams know they can pound the rock. Go up by 2 scores and that quickly goes away.

Look what Baltimore did Sunday vs the Browns when they were down and the run game was ineffective. They passed.

Edited by Wayne Cubed