Computer plate umps allowed in new labor deal

ALF

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Computer plate umpires could be called up to the major leagues at some point during the next five seasons.

Umpires agreed to cooperate with Major League Baseball in the development and testing of an automated ball-strike system as part of a five-year labor contract announced Saturday, two people familiar with the deal told The Associated Press.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/computer-plate-umps-allowed-in-new-labor-deal

The sooner the better

I am very much in favor of this.   I am tired of seeing the wrong call made, both ways.   There are some umps that when they set up inside, have no idea where the outside of the plate is.

The one thing I think needs attention, is where do you set the top and bottom of the strike zone.  All batters are not the same height.   I can't figure out what they use now.  I have seen pitches at the belt that were called high.  Damn, if that is high that makes for an awful small strike zone.

I do believe the system has to be calibrated before every game though.  I have seen some games where I just can't believe it is correct.

1 hour ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Give technology a try.  The strike zone should never be at the whim of certain umpires.  Keeping it secure and calibrated could be a problem if they play the baseball equivalent of the Cheatriots.

Certain umps....  LOL

21 minutes ago, UConn James said:

Hawkeye made tennis much better.

Limiting the fallible influence of referees in any way can only be for the better.

Yes, replay has solved all the problems....

i will argue overall it has made watching sports a lot worse

12 hours ago, ALF said:

Computer plate umpires could be called up to the major leagues at some point during the next five seasons.

Umpires agreed to cooperate with Major League Baseball in the development and testing of an automated ball-strike system as part of a five-year labor contract announced Saturday, two people familiar with the deal told The Associated Press.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/computer-plate-umps-allowed-in-new-labor-deal

The sooner the better

Man,  the NFL should get in board with this whole new technology thing. Pretty sad that the richest sport in North America can't use technology to call 1st downs made,  spot the ball, and to make notifications when the ball crosses the line for a touchdown. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yes ... in football.

It's nice to see you losing another argument to a jury of your peers.  You and row33 seem pretty alone.  Not being an intractable one, what about this compromise:

Rather than having Angel or Cowboy Bob hang out behind the plate we could have them in state of the art studios using the latest technology to call balls and strikes.  Would that work for you?

1 hour ago, Cripple Creek said:

It's nice to see you losing another argument to a jury of your peers.  You and row33 seem pretty alone.  Not being an intractable one, what about this compromise:

Rather than having Angel or Cowboy Bob hang out behind the plate we could have them in state of the art studios using the latest technology to call balls and strikes.  Would that work for you?

No.  Because that's not how the game is played/umped.

How about this .... a human being sets up shop behind the catcher and calls balls/strikes?  There.  That settles it.

This is just another way for MLB to generate more runs, which they think is "better for the game."

The game is not too long.  The umpiring is perfectly fine.  We don't need more HRs.  We don't need higher scores.

The only change I want to see is netting down to the foul poles for fan safety.  Other than that, LEAVE THE GODDAMN GAME ALONE.

Toodles, CC.

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

No.  Because that's not how the game is played/umped.

How about this .... a human being sets up shop behind the catcher and calls balls/strikes?  There.  That settles it.

This is just another way for MLB to generate more runs, which they think is "better for the game."

The game is not too long.  The umpiring is perfectly fine.  We don't need more HRs.  We don't need higher scores.

The only change I want to see is netting down to the foul poles for fan safety.  Other than that, LEAVE THE GODDAMN GAME ALONE.

Toodles, CC.

So, in baseball the human element is more important than “getting it right.” Are there other sports where this is the case?

2 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

So, in baseball the human element is more important than “getting it right.” Are there other sports where this is the case?

I'm not concerned about other sports for the purpose of this conversation.

Up until about ten years ago, baseball was by and away my favorite sport but MLB is doing everything they can do to lose my interest.

As maddening as it can be when a ball in the dirt is called a strike, I want the human element in my games. I don’t want to watch totally automated games devoid of human error. Leave the umps alone. Convey and enforce your rules and expectations to them more consistently.

• Like (+1) 1

it's been disappointing that batters in this caveman era stand in the exact same position in the box, even after getting out and adjusting that stance, reforming in the exact same spot, a delight to pitchers to keep pushing the strike zone out further as the game progresses

and most take 50/50 pitches all the time, thinking they will get every single call, never putting up a fight at the plate with 2 strikes

it's a weird passive/aggressive routine for all of them, from banjo hitters to murderer's row

Edited by row_33