Has there been a "great" coach who is clearly conservative?

Kelly the Dog

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Absolutely he is.

The guy who goes for the throat and kill shot every chance he gets? The guy with exotic defenses that constantly pressures offenses every week? The guy that keeps throwing deep into the fourth quarter up 28 points? The guy that will throw 20 straight passes to open a game? That conservative guy? 

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

The guy who goes for the throat and kill shot every chance he gets? The guy with exotic defenses that constantly pressures offenses every week? The guy that keeps throwing deep into the fourth quarter up 28 points? The guy that will throw 20 straight passes to open a game? That conservative guy? 

Why is throwing the football aggressive when they are 3 or 4 yard passes? 

I'm curious if you know how many times BB has gone for 2 at the end of the game or kicked the field goal to go to overtime. How many times do you think he has settled for overtime?

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

Why is throwing the football aggressive when they are 3 or 4 yard passes? 

I'm curious if you know how many times BB has gone for 2 at the end of the game or kicked the field goal to go to overtime. How many times do you think he has settled for overtime?

Because he knows he will win in OT. They are the best team in history at going down the field and scoring when they need to. 

18 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Neither of those were. Staubach was one of the most revolutionary QBs. Bob Hayes was the opposite. 

Knox was not an overly conservative coach. On either side of the ball. When he had Ferguson and Cribbs here we were not conservative. 

Stop it. Knox was very conservative, as any article will tell you. He had a run first approach. 

https://mavensports.io/nfl/talkoffame/state-your-case/state-your-case-why-voters-should-consider-chuck-knox-tpUfsylso0yme_jcs3YCiw

https://www.thenewstribune.com/latest-news/article211077829.html

19 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm trying to think of one. In any sport. 

Don't make this a hate McDermott stance or thread. I like him. I'm glad we have him. But it's arguable that his blatant conservative nature holds this team back. 

There are no facts. This is ALL opinion. And some of his conservative nature surely helps. We're 10-5 and will likely finish 11-5. 

But the object is to win it all. Josh is a unique talent. We need to score more points or there is little chance to win it all and that is the object. 

I think he needs to relinquish some of his dearly held nature in order to be great. I don't think you can be great without a killer instinct. 

Mary Levy. /End thread

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I'm trying to think of one. In any sport. 

Don't make this a hate McDermott stance or thread. I like him. I'm glad we have him. But it's arguable that his blatant conservative nature holds this team back. 

There are no facts. This is ALL opinion. And some of his conservative nature surely helps. We're 10-5 and will likely finish 11-5. 

But the object is to win it all. Josh is a unique talent. We need to score more points or there is little chance to win it all and that is the object. 

I think he needs to relinquish some of his dearly held nature in order to be great. I don't think you can be great without a killer instinct. 

just watching the after game shows, it occurred to me and i haven't read the entire thread but... would Cowher qualify?

14 minutes ago, egd said:

Stop it. Knox was very conservative, as any article will tell you. He had a run first approach. 

https://mavensports.io/nfl/talkoffame/state-your-case/state-your-case-why-voters-should-consider-chuck-knox-tpUfsylso0yme_jcs3YCiw

https://www.thenewstribune.com/latest-news/article211077829.html

Mary Levy. /End thread

Levy of the full time no huddle attack offense. That's another great one. Hilarious. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Levy of the full time no huddle attack offense. That's another great one. Hilarious. 

You don't seem to understand what conservative is. A good passing attack or a no huddle offense does not make one unconservative.

You also didn't address the first part of my post about Knox being conservative, and a winner.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This article proves Levy was conservative:

https://buffalonews.com/1989/11/25/the-cerebral-coach-dont-try-to-sidetrack-marv-levy-hes-focused-on-what-may-be-his-last-fling-in-professional-sports-coach-for-life-of-the-buffalo-bills/

"The attack on his conservative coaching, though old, creeps up at times."

I am also old to remember Marv admitting he was conservative on TV.

Edited by egd

@Kelly the Dog‘s premise is that passing is aggressive but also running is aggressive if you’re Lombardi. Going for the kill throwing deep is aggressive but playing for overtime isn’t conservative if you’re good.

Time to end the topic when the guy who set the discussion can’t even keep straight his own parameters.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

This topic hinges on the philosophy that coaches don’t change their approach based on their personnel. It’s just a coincidence that BB “became conservative” when Brissett was under center. It’s a coincidence that Rivera became an aggressive coach when Cam was playing like an MVP. It’s a coincidence that the Tebow-Broncos were conservative.

Here’s my counter question. What HC has been super aggressive and successful without a good QB? I’ll hang up and listen.

Nailed it. This seems like a fruitless exercise. That's a good point though I can certainly criticize coaches that don't adapt as well to personnel. McDermott may be doing the way he's supposed to, can't argue with the results.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

6 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

Nailed it. This seems like a fruitless exercise. That's a good point though I can certainly criticize coaches that don't adapt as well to personnel. McDermott may be doing the way he's supposed to, can't argue with the results.

Not to mention, the board was SCREAMING when the Bills offense was passing a ton in the first Q of the season. Lots of “Josh isn’t Brady! We need to run the ball more!” Guess what that resulted in? More TOs from our QB.

And those games were when Devin was banged up and missing time. Another one of those weird coincidences that we were more “aggressive” passing with banged up RB’s. Maybe McD went to Vegas and had won big at blackjack that weekend.

22 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You don't think McDermott is conservative?

He’s gone for it on 4th down multiple times this season. He’s also gone for 2. He never seems to get credit for when he isn’t conservative. 

What would appease the crowd that says he’s too conservative? Going for it on 4th down EVERY SINGLE TIME?? Never ever punt? What else is there? 

• Like (+1) 1