Allen slammed on ESPN

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And again as a casual observer from outside, one sees <150 yards in each of the last two games and NO 300 yard games.....

As Bills fans we point to the 4th quarter comebacks & I wonder if he can look so good on so many drives & leading the team back, why are the coaches PETRIFIED to do it the whole game.

When  McD claims 17 points isn't enough, but the strategy & play calling is exactly that (ball control, no mistakes, bleed the clock, run 6 X's in a row inside the opponents 20, celebrate running out the clock & 1 first down with all your timeouts, play for a 53 fg to tie the game, kick the ball back twice last week to Pitt in the last 5 minutes) the eye test states otherwise & the national media thinks that the QB is meh at best.

Oh & btw giving the offense little weapons the last three years hasn't helped either.

All D all the time.......

Yes to all...

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

10-4 record.  In the playoffs.  Defense wins championships.  

If you are so hurt over the 300 yard crap root for a college team that runs a spread offense and leave the Bills and their fans alone.

It’s more than just 300 yard games...he raises several interesting points that some fans are overlooking...at some point, if the Bills want to be consistent winners against good teams,  Josh is going to need to prove he can do them- for example, have successful 2 minute drives at the end of regulation.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Is winning games and getting into the playoffs good?  Or do they have to do so in a  specific way?

It’s awesome and no one is denying it...but all the QBs on good teams are able to do things that Josh has not yet proven he can...it would be nice to know that if we are in certain situations, our QB can come through in the way the particular moment requires...

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

It’s more than just 300 yard games...he raises several interesting points that some fans are overlooking...at some point, if the Bills want to be consistent winners against good teams,  Josh is going to need to prove he can do them- for example, have successful 2 minute drives at the end of regulation.

The data indicates he is leading the league in fourth quarter comebacks, I believe.

Allen is a second year QB.  He is progressing well.  He is not all he will be yet; no one I know of claims such.  On the other hand, defense wins championships, our defense is playing great, and people seem to want to continually discount that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

He's had 4 fourth quarter comebacks this year. By my count that's as many losses as he has. What opportunities did he have and not capitalize on? I'm content with not being down with 2 minutes left.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Jesus Beavis, who cares what those ass-clowns think. Just win. FWIW, Josh needs a few complete games under his belt and all this goes away.

I wish I agreed.  Unfortunately there are some here who are too invested in claiming Allen was a bad draft pick.  They will simply move to another false criticism.

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And again as a casual observer from outside, one sees <150 yards in each of the last two games and NO 300 yard games.....

As Bills fans we point to the 4th quarter comebacks & I wonder if he can look so good on so many drives & leading the team back, why are the coaches PETRIFIED to do it the whole game.

When  McD claims 17 points isn't enough, but the strategy & play calling is exactly that (ball control, no mistakes, bleed the clock, run 6 X's in a row inside the opponents 20, celebrate running out the clock & 1 first down with all your timeouts, play for a 53 fg to tie the game, kick the ball back twice last week to Pitt in the last 5 minutes) the eye test states otherwise & the national media thinks that the QB is meh at best.

Oh & btw giving the offense little weapons the last three years hasn't helped either.

All D all the time.......

CRUSADE!!

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

The data indicates he is leading the league in fourth quarter comebacks, I believe.

Allen is a second year QB.  He is progressing well.  He is not all he will be yet; no one I know of claims such.  On the other hand, defense wins championships, our defense is playing great, and people seem to want to continually discount that.

While the 4th quarter stat may sound nice on the surface, it also seems a little misleading...meaning none of them were a 2 minute drill/ final possession at the end of regulation, where a score was needed or the Bills would lose/ or would not score at the end of half.

Those moments are where the good QBs earn their money and Allen always looks so lost...only time I remember it being close was when we were gifted 50 yards by the refs vs. the Ravens.

Two minute drill and deep pass are my biggest issues with Josh...if he could fix those he could be a top 10 QB.

Edited by JaCrispy

Just now, oldmanfan said:

I wish I agreed.  Unfortunately there are some here who are too invested in claiming Allen was a bad draft pick.  They will simply move to another false criticism.

Hey I hated the pick at the time. Ruined my week. The kid was raw but now is constantly developing. Year two and he has the 4th quarter winner gene. Many QBs never have for their career.  He's evolving. I'm in on this being our guy.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JaCrispy said:

While the 4th quarter stat may sound nice on the surface, it also seems a little misleading...meaning none of them were a 2 minute drill/ final possession at the end of regulation, where a score was needed or the Bills would lose/ or would not score at the end of half.

Those moments are where the good QBs earn their money and Allen always looks so lost...only time I remember it being close was when we were gifted 50 yards by the refs vs. the Ravens.

Come on now.  So you have a team that puts wins on the board before the last two minutes and that is used as a criticism?  

Allen looks lost?  When?  What I see is a young QB that plays his best in the fourth quarter.  That’s a good thing to have.

Why are some folks looking to find ways to criticize the kid?  Everyone knows he hasn’t reached his potential yet but it comes across as wanting him to fail.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

Hey I hated the pick at the time. Ruined my week. The kid was raw but now is constantly developing. Year two and he has the 4th quarter winner gene. Many QBs never have for their career.  He's evolving. I'm in on this being our guy.

I wanted Rosen.  Wanted Watson before that.  But I like what I see in Allen, has a lot of potential to grow.  And he just seems to fit the community.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Come on now.  So you have a team that puts wins on the board before the last two minutes and that is used as a criticism?  

Allen looks lost?  When?  What I see is a young QB that plays his best in the fourth quarter.  That’s a good thing to have.

Why are some folks looking to find ways to criticize the kid?  Everyone knows he hasn’t reached his potential yet but it comes across as wanting him to fail.

I wanted Rosen.  Wanted Watson before that.  But I like what I see in Allen, has a lot of potential to grow.  And he just seems to fit the community.

Same here, Allen was my last choice. Guess that's why I'm not a GM. He has shown me enough this year to think that better skill players will greatly benefit his growth. Now just beat NE. God I despise them so.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And again, as an observer of your posts, I'm curious about this persistent fascination with 300 yd games.

Why do you feel they are important?

6 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Same here, Allen was my last choice. Guess that's why I'm not a GM.

Haha yeah, I thought Mason Reindeer would have been a better choice.  Not to mention Rosen.

I really liked Lamar Jackson too (I'm on record) but felt McDermott and Beane were on record saying they wanted a kid who could function as a pocket passer, which didn't look promising for the notion they would tailor the offense for him

He has shown me enough this year to think that better skill players will greatly benefit his growth. Now just beat NE. God I despise them so.

Word

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

McD's record with the 2019 cupcake schedule is 25-21, which is good.  However regardless of what you think & have been told is pretty much the same as 2014-2016 of 24-24.

I'm excited, just want to see what we have on offense & think the coaching has stunted him.

News flash: Mathematicians across the world astounded to learn that Pi is really 3

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

McD's record with the 2019 cupcake schedule is 25-21, which is good.  However regardless of what you think & have been told is pretty much the same as 2014-2016 of 24-24.

I'm excited, just want to see what we have on offense & think the coaching has stunted him.

I’ll be calmer here I hope.  Coaches are paid to win games.  They are not stunting Allen’s growth.  They are using one of the best defenses in the league to form the basis for their strategy.  And they are trying to make sure their young QB does not make a lot of mistakes and turnovers because the coaches know two things:  defense wins championships, and turnovers lose games.

The clip started with fatboy essentially saying he didn't want to see the Bills on primetime. I think their takes are based more on the fact that people just don't care about the Bills enough to pay attention. Several reasons I suppose; small market, haven't won in  LONG time, etc.

The only way to change that perception is to WIN BIG. 

They were extremely harsh and uninformed on Allen, but he does need to get better as a passer to get respect. It's a much tougher hurdle for him playing in Buffalo(as the perception stands now). There is tons of room for improvement in terms of the supporting cast and he is much better than he was a rookie. That's a positive sign. Still gotta continue to improve and FORCE them to respect his game. Opportunity is right there for him to do just that.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

The clip started with fatboy essentially saying he didn't want to see the Bills on primetime. I think their takes are based more on the fact that people just don't care about the Bills enough to pay attention. Several reasons I suppose; small market, haven't won in  LONG time, etc.

The only way to change that perception is to WIN BIG. 

They were extremely harsh and uninformed on Allen, but he does need to get better as a passer to get respect. It's a much tougher hurdle for him playing in Buffalo(as the perception stands now). There is tons of room for improvement in terms of the supporting cast and he is much better than he was a rookie. That's a positive sign. Still gotta continue to improve and FORCE them to respect his game. Opportunity is right there for him to do just that.

Well put

• Thank you (+1) 1