Buh-bye Arena League

PromoTheRobot

11 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that it’s the former. There is only so much football that you can love. I use myself as the litmus test and while it seems like such a small sample size it makes sense. 

I love football. I probably dedicate 20 hours a week to watching or talking football. That’s a lot!! I’ve only missed 2 Bills games in my life that I can remember. I watch every OSU game and probably another 3 games a weekend (outside of Bills and Bucks). I’ve attended zero arena league games in my life. Twice, I’ve lived in cities with teams. I couldn’t name a single guy. If they can’t attract someone like me how in the hell are they going to be able to sustain??? 

At the core I think that’s the issue. They can’t establish a foundation. Even if they had 10,000 diehards in each market these leagues could probably make it. The problem is they just can’t get the floor high enough because of the other football out there.

Bucs?

Thought you would be a saints fan? Also How come you watch Ohio st over LSU?

10 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Doesn't matter what McMahon allows.  The XFL is a deadman walking.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.  I'm going to enjoy the ***** out of watching him fail...again.

if XFL implemented my NO-KICKING GAME , then they would succeed as it would show how much more exciting football could be if there were no punts or field goals.

6 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

My issue with arena football is that it is not really football.  It is similar but not really the same product.

Exactly.  Not fair to consider this "minor league football."

I think real football, on a minor league level, would work just fine.

I honestly thought this thing had died off years ago, though.  I have not stumbled across it on TV in many years.

Maybe that was the problem.  LOL

5 hours ago, Gugny said:

Touchdown Eddie Brown (Albany Firebirds) was the most prolific WR in Arena League history.   His son, Antonio, just happens to be the most prolific douchebag in NFL history.

Also one of the most prolific receivers when he was on the field in fairness.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, purple haze said:

Why do you think the NFL talent at a major college football program is playing for "free"?  

Because, they are? Unless you count a useless (for them) college education as payment. Sure they get an education, room and board and food. That is essentially free. They get what they need to survive and continue to play football for their program. Heck, until recently they weren’t even allowed to do sponsorships of their own likeness. I guess you could count possible illegal contributions from school sponsors, but I wouldn’t count that. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, purple haze said:

Why do you think the NFL talent at a major college football program is playing for "free"?  

It pretty much is. A total pilfering of labor being sanctioned by the universities. Complete and utter theft. Read ( conservative columnist) George Will’s recent column on the sham of “ student athletes” while Colleges and administrators / coaches reap their millions. . I’don’t  have a link, but it should be easily searched for and found. Great read and I completely agree with him. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

The Albany Empire will go down as the final Arenaball champion. 

I used to go to the Albany Firebirds games years ago during the Bills AFC dominance in the 1990s and joke that the last game I had been at was the Super Bowl & how much a drop-off it was going from the Super Bowl to an Arena game a few months apart.  

I never went to any Empire games in the 2 years they were here.  

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It pretty much is. A total pilfering of labor being sanctioned by the universities. Complete and utter theft. Read ( conservative columnist) George Will’s recent column on the sham of “ student athletes” while Colleges and administrators / coaches reap their millions. . I’don’t  have a link, but it should be easily searched for and found. Great read and I completely agree with him. 

And how many student athletes have they're scholarships pulled when they get injured?

5 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Because, they are? Unless you count a useless (for them) college education as payment. Sure they get an education, room and board and food. That is essentially free. They get what they need to survive and continue to play football for their program. Heck, until recently they weren’t even allowed to do sponsorships of their own likeness. I guess you could count possible illegal contributions from school sponsors, but I wouldn’t count that. 

No, I know they're being taken advantage of.  I don't count the education at all.  Playing ball in college is a job and these kids work a lot.  I think the top top players get taken care of in ways under the table.  That's what I meant.