Jason Whitlock may be on to something..

Protocal69

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:40 AM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Religion is one of mankind’s oldest ways to unite, galvanize and Sheppard people.

Religious people by definition are willing to put their faith and belief in something (that no matter what you belive isn’t easy to prove) and those same people allow the rules of that construct dictate their habits and lives. That probably coincides with very coachable team oriented personalities. 

.....until they want to get a little on the side.

Spare us...

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So the heathens don't win as much as people of faith. Absolute nuclear take.

Jason Whitlock throws so many turds at the wall to see what sticks. This is the same guy that questioned LeBron's leadership because he was an only child. The man applies the dumbest Fruedian psychology to explain purely sports intangibles.

I strongly disagree with this  clip especially lol. Sure there's something to organized religion that applies to organized sport. I believe that's the organization in both words.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The notion that "religious people"'s lives and habits are dictated by the constructs of their particular religion. 

Everyone's lives are constructed on the basis of some kind of faith. It's epistemologically unavoidable.

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The notion that "religious people"'s lives and habits are dictated by the constructs of their particular religion. 

I’m thinking you haven’t ever met any ‘religious people’? 

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Everyone's lives are constructed on the basis of some kind of faith. It's epistemologically unavoidable.

Word of the week there. 

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m thinking you haven’t ever met any ‘religious people’? 

Plenty.  Raised Catholic.

Being "religious" is not a requirement for living as a good person, and not being religious does not preclude one from it.

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Plenty.  Raised Catholic.

Being "religious" is not a requirement for living as a good person, and not being religious does not preclude one from it.

That wasn’t my point at all.

I was actually pointing towards the fact that religious people are very often willing to do ritualistic/prescribed things or abide by certain rules (at least Attempt to) for no other reason than ‘that’s what they say you’re supposed to do’, or because you believe in the same thing as the authority figure telling you what to do or your life isn’t really your own and your path is preordained. 

It has has nothing to do with good or bad people, not even close. 

I avoided delving into my opinion of organized religion because it is highly offensive to some. 

My point is, religious players of similar faith put together, led by the same, are probably much easier to unite, lead and keep aligned- which is why I agree with Whitlock’s premise. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Well, this thread is exactly what I expected... 

I think he was trying to say find good, hard working guys who love football, have their ***** together, and care about their players. Whether or not that group cross references as clearly with the Christian Conservative group as he implied is probably a matter for a statistician. That being said, there is definitely something for discipline, and dare I say culture. I don't think you have to have any certain faith or political leaning to achieve that, but that's going to be built on the coaches internal compass. However, it's no small thing that many (most really) religions have discipline and "right behavior/being a good person" built into their ethos which can lead to a natural correlation between those who practice those religions and the presence of those positive character traits.

30 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

That wasn’t my point at all.

I was actually pointing towards the fact that religious people are very often willing to do ritualistic/prescribed things or abide by certain rules (at least Attempt to) for no other reason than ‘that’s what they say you’re supposed to do’, or because you believe in the same thing as the authority figure telling you what to do or your life isn’t really your own and your path is preordained. 

It has has nothing to do with good or bad people, not even close. 

I avoided delving into my opinion of organized religion because it is highly offensive to some. 

My point is, religious players of similar faith put together, led by the same, are probably much easier to unite, lead and keep aligned- which is why I agree with Whitlock’s premise. 

His premise is nonsense.  You trust your coach or you don't.  When a team is winning, everything is easy.  If a spiritual or religious HC is helming a moribund or losing team, players don't care about what the coach's rituals and rules tell them they are supposed to do.

These are guys playing a game for lots of money.  If things are going well, all is good--everyone loves everyone.  When that stops.......

• Like (+1) 1

How "Conservative" and Christian is Bill Belichick?

He doesn't exactly strike me as a conservative Christian coach trying to inspire people. In fact, I think his pact with Satan is framed in the Pats locker room where they sacrifice goats, virgins and virgin goats before each game.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

His premise is nonsense.  You trust your coach or you don't.  When a team is winning, everything is easy.  If a spiritual or religious HC is helming a moribund or losing team, players don't care about what the coach's rituals and rules tell them they are supposed to do.

These are guys playing a game for lots of money.  If things are going well, all is good--everyone loves everyone.  When that stops.......

Whitlock jumped the shark a long time ago.  He was fired by espn after he was the head of their website which was supposed to be the black Grantland.  Now he goes to Fox and the guy who loves strip clubs is all about Christian values.  He is a panderer which gets some people paid so good for him. But it is completely meaningless.

• Like (+1) 1