Jason Whitlock may be on to something..

Protocal69

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

There are countless athletes in the NFL who feel their faith was a big part of helping them overcome obstacles in their lives to reach the NFL - as well as continuing to play a big part in who they are. So, I think there are numerous people in the NFL that would disagree with you.

Isn't that a point I was referencing?   Which FAITH? 

Why are one mans prayers answered with a Victory but not the others. 

Religion does not belong as part of the NFL.  

I am sorry if you disagree.  

Don't begrudge me because of my opinion.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

One personality trait that is desirable in a Christian (IMHO) is rigidly adhering to the tenets of the faith, even if cultural trends, change some of those tenets from popular to unpopular.   I think the most successful coaches have been pretty flexible and changing things as their talent changes.   One concern I have with McDermott is that he has a "system" and wants talent to fit the system, and is not really able to optimize his approach to the game to fit the talent available. 

I think this just comes down to what your opinion is on how to build a football team. Personally, I don't think you change your concepts to fit your players, I think you put the players you have in your concepts, and if they don't fit than you get new players. I think the purge of the likes of Gilmore, Watkins, Glenn, Preston Brown, Darby, etc. etc. was a great early example of this. Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott took a year of looking mediocre in order to build a team that adhered to their rigid faith (in the Buffalo Bills).

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Olympus said:

I think this just comes down to what your opinion is on how to build a football team. Personally, I don't think you change your concepts to fit your players, I think you put the players you have in your concepts, and if they don't fit than you get new players. I think the purge of the likes of Gilmore, Watkins, Glenn, Preston Brown, Darby, etc. etc. was a great early example of this. Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott took a year of looking mediocre in order to build a team that adhered to their rigid faith (in the Buffalo Bills).

Recent history of the teams that actually win Super Bowls, (Patriots, Seahawks  Eagles, Ravens) is a who is who of coaches who adapt their system to their talent.  The current glairng exmaple is John Harbaugh tossed aside a former super bowl winning QB who was a protype pocket passer and replaced the entire offensive scheme to fit a QB that is entirely different in style.  Seems to be working. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Isn't that a point I was referencing?   Which FAITH? 

Why are one mans prayers answered with a Victory but not the others. 

Religion does not belong as part of the NFL.  

I am sorry if you disagree.  

Don't begrudge me because of my opinion.  

I don't begrudge you your opinion. Each person has a right to adhere to whatever religious belief they choose and are entiltled to display it in whatever manner they choose. It is an integral part of many athletes and coaches in the NFL. So, it is aas much in the NFL as in any other aspect of life. Whether you think it should be or shouldn't be.

I also think that when you go out of your way to denigrate people who have a strong religious faith, you are as small minded as what you believe those people to be.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

I don't begrudge you your opinion. Each person has a right to adhere to whatever religious belief they choose and are entiltled to display it in whatever manner they choose. It is an integral part of many athletes and coaches in the NFL. So, it is aas much in the NFL as in any other aspect of life. Whether you think it should be or shouldn't be.

I also think that when you go out of your way to denigrate people who have a strong religious faith, you are as small minded as what you believe those people to be.

Who did I denigrate?  the guy in the video clip?

Tebow? 

I don't even want to acknowledge what was written by the north remembers

IMO -   This thread belongs in the PPP.  

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Who did I denigrate?  the guy in the video clip?

Tebow? 

I don't even want to acknowledge what was written by the north remembers

IMO -   This thread belongs in the PPP.  

I am not a fan of snide comments on either side. 

And, you are right, when the discussion in this thread becomes soley about religion, rather than an intellectual discussion about what role it may or may not play with individuals in the NFL, particularly with the Bills, then it should be in the PPP.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I am not a fan of snide comments on either side. 

And, you are right, when the discussion in this thread becomes soley about religion, rather than an intellectual discussion about what role it may or may not play with individuals in the NFL, particularly with the Bills, then it should be in the PPP.

I am not trying to be rude or offensive 

I was expecting some real inside info so lets say I was a bit disappointed with the misdirect. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think point Whitlock was trying to make is if you’re gonna go chasing a prototype, better to chase guys who are Christian conservatives than these QB gurus.  But in the end you shouldn’t go chasing prototypes of any kind.

You gotta be a good coach and you gotta be authentic.  I doubt Belichik has ever talked about god to his players.  Wouldn’t be surprised if the guy is an atheist.  He doesn’t seem like a particularly good human being, but he’s a great coach and he’s authentic.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

sorry  What a waste of time even skipping 10 minutes 

I should have read the hashtag and known

God and faith has nothing to do with football.  Just ask Tim Tebow.  

Tim Tebow was pretty damn successful. What have you done?  Lets compare it to Tim Tebow.  Tim played big time college ball, big time pro ball, big time baseball, and works some with ESPN.  Boy, if I had to ASK Tim Tebow I would think he would say God inspired him to be the man he is and I bet he thanks him for every accomplishment he ever achieved.  IMO God and faith not only has something to do with football but he has everything to do with life.  Just my 2 cents...  Totally not a waste of time, good video and I appreciate you having the guts to post this Protocal69 because you know half the fans who have an issue with faith are going to bash you.  

I think that this team cares about one another. I don’t think that it has anything to do with their religious beliefs, political beliefs or anything like that. It has to do with building a roster of high character individuals and getting to know one another on a deeper level. He’s made a point for the players to get to know the rest of the room on a personal level. Where did they come from? What makes them tick? What is their family like? These guys have a trust and respect for one another. They battle together. They aren’t united because of their religious beliefs; they are united because they care about the people in the room. Those things aren’t interchangeable.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Forget about religion.  Schlereth hit the nail on the head.  When the players believe that the coach truly cares about them, you have a true leader.  Religion or "faith" is just a vehicle.

And yes, I believe McD is such a coach.

I do think McDermott is a really good DC and a very good man. I do think the culture thing gets completely overrated. We had a good culture under Jauron and Gailey.  Plenty of bad teams have had a good culture. So yes while it is much better to have a good culture, talent and good coaching is what ultimately matters. Belichick is a Richard and he is arguably the greatest coach ever.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, BuffaloRebound said:

I think point Whitlock was trying to make is if you’re gonna go chasing a prototype, better to chase guys who are Christian conservatives than these QB gurus.  But in the end you shouldn’t go chasing prototypes of any kind.

You gotta be a good coach and you gotta be authentic.  I doubt Belichik has ever talked about god to his players.  Wouldn’t be surprised if the guy is an atheist.  Ge doesn’t seem like a particularly good human being, but he’s a great coach and he’s authentic.  

You might be right about Belichik, have no idea about his faith and no you don't have to talk about God when coaching; just because you are a Christain doesn't mean you have to bible thump but it will show in the way you treat people. Marv Levy was a believer but he wasn't a bible thumper.  His faith did show in the way he respected and treated his staff and players.  I don't think you have to be a Christian to be a good coach but I do think relationship building is huge when you want to have sustained success.  You can see why players love playing for guys like Levy, Reich, Gibbs, and Dungy.

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I do think McDermott is a really good DC and a very good man. I do think the culture thing gets completely overrated. We had a good culture under Jauron and Gailey.  Plenty of bad teams have had a good culture. So yes while it is much better to have a good culture, talent and good coaching is what ultimately matters. Belichick is a Richard and he is arguably the greatest coach ever.

Game. Set. Match.   :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Religion is one of mankind’s oldest ways to unite, galvanize and Sheppard people.

Religious people by definition are willing to put their faith and belief in something (that no matter what you belive isn’t easy to prove) and those same people allow the rules of that construct dictate their habits and lives. That probably coincides with very coachable team oriented personalities. 

yeah, not a single great in the Hall of Fame was a believer....

wake up

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

So atheists can’t be good coaches? 

As someone who is religious, I hate when people try to push it into things that it shouldn’t be like sports and politics.  I used to pray for the Bills to win (and they actually used to more so ?). But I realized there were so many more important things than that. 

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

I don't always agree with Whitlock but he might have just sealed it for me that McDermott is the coach to lead us to the top and Whitlock doesn't even know it.

Listen at the 11:10 mark if the video is not coded at that mark.Mark Schlereth took it home. All I could think of was McDermott. I think they are right.

#Keepthefaith

Also, Whitlock has become a joke. I can guess his “take” on 95% of what he says.  He takes the contrarian point of view to be like Skip Bayless.  He is the same dude who loves strip clubs.  I think religion is a personal thing but nothing drives me crazier than people who are religious hypocrites.  

Sadly, some people don’t realize some figures completely pander to their religious beliefs.  Religion can be awesome.  Just keep it private. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1