The Morning After the NFL Trade Deadline

H2o

This morning things are beginning to sink in a bit more. Not only in Buffalo, but around the NFL. The media hyped up yesterday like it was the prize fight of the century, Ali vs. Frazier or something, but it turned out more like Mike Tyson vs Peter McNeeley. For all of the talk of who was on the move, who could potentially be moved, last second deals going down, nothing of consequence really happened at all. I blame it on the Comp. Pick formula. I know it was definitely a waste of a perfectly good F5 key. As the sun dawns on a new day it gives me some time to reflect. 

The Bills stood pat, like I pretty much expected them to. I believe Beane/McDermott like the fact we are 5-2 without even playing our best football yet, no matter who it has been against. I like many of the pieces we have as well. The things that have been holding us back early were turnovers and play calling. Josh is doing better with the turnovers (please don't go into vain rambling about the fumbles knowing that Josh has 6 TD's and 1 INT in his last 3 games), but the play calling is still suspect. I'm not a fan of Daboll. I copied this excerpt from a PFT Article in 2017 and it seems the same is ringing true today with our offense, "Daboll was well regarded from his time in New England and then under Eric Mangini with the Jets and Browns.  Still, his Cleveland teams were among the league’s worst in yards and points in both of his seasons there.Sounds rather familiar to me. For all of the moaning about we needed this or we needed that from the posters on here, we should all actually take solace in the fact we didn't ransom our future because of short term thinking. We have nine games to go and I wouldn't write any of them off as losses, despite what we saw on the field against Philly, even the Pats game in NE. Hopefully we can keep our lock on the 5th seed in the AFC for the remainder of the season and then everyone is 0-0 once the playoffs start. 

One good thing about yesterday? The rich did not get richer. I always expect the Pats to pull a trade out of their bum, where they get a good player for a 6th or 7th, but it did not happen yesterday. I was extremely worried that they would somehow end up with OJ Howard or AJ Green. Thankfully the Bucs held onto Howard for at least the remainder of the season, as did Cincy with Green. The Ravens were reportedly in on Jamal Adams as well, but as we know he stayed put. No big names moved anywhere in the AFC, except a couple of guys from starter to the bench. This bodes well for our playoff hopes I believe as none of the teams in the AFC got any better, especially the ones we are battling with for a playoff spot.

The aftermath of the names being thrown around is going to be internal for the teams they remained on. There were a lot of names we knew were out there such as Melvin Gordon, AJ Green, Robby Anderson, Leonard Williams(whom was traded to the Giants), Chris Harris, Darius Slay, and a few others on teams underperforming. But man, oh, man, I would love to be a fly on the wall at the NY Jets' facility today. They had everyone on the block and now they have to try and keep an already 1-6 locker room together? Jamal Adams is probably the best player on that team and they were trying to trade him, with him saying it was done behind his back. It was for a king's ransom of course, but the principle remains. They were dangling one of their "prized" FA signings in Le'Veon Bell, who is Sam's best and most underutilized weapon at this point. I have a feeling Moseley would have been on the market as well if he were healthy. This ought to be pure gold for the remainder of the year. :lol:

Anyway, it's time to watch how the rest of the season unfolds with the players who are here (not continuing to whine about the ones who are not). Not only for us, whom I have high expectations for, but the rest of the league as well. Hopefully we can stay healthy for the stretch run, the offense begins to click as a whole (though I have my doubts about Daboll), and the defense gets it together against the run. Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I agree wholeheartedly. I’m glad we didn’t mortgage any of the future...particularly for a half year rental on an old WR who hasn’t even played this year. 

While I differ on Daboll, I agree with all else (look who he had to work with in Cleveland that year). I believe as Josh progresses, it will all come together. Does Daboll have room to improve? Of course, but overall I’m pleased with the play calling. 

THANK YOU for posting something rational!! ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, H2o said:

This morning things are beginning to sink in a bit more. Not only in Buffalo, but around the NFL. The media hyped up yesterday like it was the prize fight of the century, Ali vs. Frazier or something, but it turned out more like Mike Tyson vs Peter McNeeley. For all of the talk of who was on the move, who could potentially be moved, last second deals going down, nothing of consequence really happened at all. I blame it on the Comp. Pick formula. I know it was definitely a waste of a perfectly good F5 key. As the sun dawns on a new day it gives me some time to reflect. 

Really nice post ...

So in other words ...

GS-4-nothing-to-see-here-folks-move-alon

LOL 

Hype brings clicks  

Clicks beings $ 

Edit .... Oh like this 

image.png.96be44d583548c209c4c118e47532a08.png

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s funny @H2o I was thinking the same thing yesterday about the comp picks role in all of this. It basically sets a floor for what a team will accept. The Bengals are probably going to lose AJ Green in FA this offseason. They have no wins. It would have made a ton of sense to deal him yesterday. That would have happened in any other sport. With the comp pick formula in the NFL though the Bengals are probably going to get a 3rd in 2021 if he walks this offseason. That means that they had to get AT LEAST a 3rd this year to consider it. The teams acquiring him are thinking, “I’m not giving up a 3rd or more for 8 weeks of him.” It makes a lot of sense to me to see the top guys, in their prime, moving (Mack, Ramsey, OBJ, almost Adams) because the compensation is there. The role players or guys with expiring contracts/injuries are much tougher to move. 

• Like (+1) 3

57 minutes ago, benderbender said:

That’s worth 50 mil. ? What about all the other Sundays?

I dunno   I see 5-2.  I saw the Patriots do very very little on offense.  

Anyone seeing the Eagles game as an easy win is only fooling themselves. 

Oh and if you want to claim No Respect.... You better be able to walk the walk of STFU 

The Defense may have psyched themselves out on Sunday

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 3

Great post OP, it's obvious you took some time to work through/reflect on the last 24 hours in a well-reasoned way, as opposed to for example, flying off the handle about the Bills not landing a WR in his 30's that's not going to get us to the SB this year anyway...in the immortal words of Kenny:

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm also glad the Bills didn't waste any draft picks on aging vets who may not have much left in the tank. (see AJ Green) Plenty of time in the off season to see what is out there when the Bills will have plenty of cap space available to spend without sacrificing valuable draft picks needlessly.

• Like (+1) 1

"The Morning After the NFL Trade Deadline"

.....there wasn't enough affordable talent to make this Bills team better this year.

The Process is good through 2020 or 2021.

Edited by I am the egg man

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

Why weren’t we shopping Star to anyone and everyone?

How do you know we weren't. 

What's the market for an over paid under performing DT.  

4 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

"The Morning After the NFL Trade Deadline"

.....there wasn't enough affordable talent to make this Bills team better this year.

The Process is good through 2020 or 2021.

Firsts at trade deadline were never the plan.  Beane treasures his picks.  If we could have stolen someone for a 3rd or 4th then we would have for sure made a move. 

Nobody ever likes their OC.

Lately, there have been a few players that have been traded for numerous draft picks including multiple #1s. As a result, I think , after seeing this, that lots of GMs got greedy & were asking way too much for their players. Perhaps, this is one of the reasons for a lack of trades at the deadline.