Cole Beasley, Bills offense doesn't have problem with play-calling

TwistofFate

On 10/28/2019 at 4:17 PM, TwistofFate said:

For all those clamouring about offensive play calling, the players seem to think completely differently. 

For a few weeks, it’s been tough sledding for Buffalo offensive coordinator Brian Daboll. The Western New York native that’s in charge of the Bills’ offensive scheming hasn’t been in the good graces of the fan base.

Much of that centers around quarterback runs by Josh Allen. Some passing plays and usage of rookie running back Devin Singletry can also be tossed in there.

But the Bills aren’t complaining internally. Wide receiver Cole Beasley specifically didn’t place any blame on Daboll.

“It has nothing to do with play-calling or anything like that. It’s the Willies and the Joes, man, you know what I mean? Not the Xs and Os. We’ve just got to get it right,” Beasley told reporters following the game.

Center Mitch Morse also echoed that with the Buffalo News.

“I ride with our coaches. For me, whatever play call they call, you run it,” Morse said.

But prior to the game last Monday on Oct. 21, Daboll did defend some of his strategies, specifically his designed running packages with quarterback Josh Allen.

“Some of those runs (vs. Miami) that were designed really helped us situationally, third and short, one early down it got us some, and then the two-point conversion. I don’t think you live in that world too much, but we have a guy that can do those things. He gives you extra blockers and things like that. You just have to be judicious with it, and Josh does too, in terms of minimizing our hit,” Daboll said.

While not specifically asked about the play-calling following the loss, Allen did take the brunt of plenty of blame plenty of times.

“A performance like this won’t cut it. We didn’t play to our standard. Obviously, we played a pretty good team today and we know that, they know that, but at the same time, we still have to play up to how we know we can play,” Allen said.

“I have be better with taking care of the football,” he added.

billswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/28/cole-beasley-buffalo-bills-offense-doesnt-problem

I mean, what do we expect?  That's part of the Process: keep team issues within the team, don't finger-point, focus on what you can do better yourself.

None of these guys are going to finger Daboll.  But reading not very far between the lines of McDermott's presser where he refers to having to "coach his coaches" and of Daboll's press conference where he referred to "plays he'd like to have back", McDermott was not happy with Daboll's play calling and Daboll heard about it on Monday.

Laugh it up, its true. 

Minus the big 65 yard run, the average yard per carry by Philadelphia was 3.8 yards, at 153 yards total. 

26 teams in the NFL average 3.8 yards or more per carry on offense. 

The offense was inept, its ranked 24th in the league, and Allen continues to be wreckless with the ball. 

The defense did not play as bad as the stat line suggests. 

On 10/28/2019 at 7:03 PM, jlgarsh said:

I just don't get why Gore got few Carries when he was getting positive yardage.  I'll give Allen and Singletary the benefit of the doubt on ball security yesterday.   With the rain and winds wasn't sure about the high  volume passing game plan.  I was surprised they went for it on 4th and 10 at the 30 yard line though.  Hauschka barely missed from 53.

Because it was much harder to kick in that direction. I don’t believe anyone attempted a kick that way the entire game. 

9 hours ago, Old Coot said:

So Beasley is not willing to throw his OC under the bus but is willing to throw unnamed players aka "willies & joes" under the bus?

Remember that its often not possible to judge play calling from the play actually run.  The OC will likely call 2-3 plays depending on what the OC's call sheet says is likely the kind of defense the other team will call for that yard marker, down & distance.  The QB will set the play (in the huddle or by audible) according to what he sees before the hike.

It's my understanding that the extent to which that last is true varies depending upon the OC and the QB.  Some OCs are far more limiting.

Any time one loses and there are plays left on the field or the lines are getting handled, it's not exactly "breaking news" to generally finger execution.

12 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Laugh it up, its true. 

Minus the big 65 yard run, the average yard per carry by Philadelphia was 3.8 yards, at 153 yards total. 

The offense was inept, its ranked 24th in the league, and Allen continues to be wreckless with the ball. 

That's sort of like saying "minus the fumble at the end of the first half that led directly to 7, the offense did not play as bad as the stat line suggests"

Even with that fumble for 8 points, we went into the half down by 4 points having had the chance to be down by 1.  Having the Eagles come out and immediately break that big play for a TD had at least as huge of an impact as that fumble.  But the offense answered with a TD to bring the game back within 1 score.

What did the defense do then while they were "not playing as badly as the stat line suggests"?

For goodness sake, LOOK at what you're saying.  Here are the Eagles drives. 

What exactly about giving up TDs on 3 successive drives and 4 out of 5 possessions, keeping the ball for 15 minutes until late in the 4Q says "defense did not play as bad as the stat line suggests"to you ? 

What exactly about our D players referring to what they took as an "ass whupping" says "did not play as bad as the stat line suggests" to you?

image.png.a763dcc5ddb371c8e35bc98a8196e827.png

21 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Laugh it up, its true. 

No w’s in reckless 

On 10/28/2019 at 5:20 PM, IDBillzFan said:

"Surpassing 300 yards passing would be nice as well."

I wish they would have started the article with this line so I would have stopped reading it sooner.

Yeah - what are the numbers for % of wins with QBs over 300 yards?  Im pretty sure its about the same as the % of wins with QBs under 300 yards.  Whatever happened in the 4th quarter was just a disaster in general.  Starting off a garbage time drive with 2 false starts in your own house was the icing on the cake

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's sort of like saying "minus the fumble at the end of the first half that led directly to 7, the offense did not play as bad as the stat line suggests"

Even with that fumble for 8 points, we went into the half down by 4 points having had the chance to be down by 1.  Having the Eagles come out and immediately break that big play for a TD had at least as huge of an impact as that fumble.  But the offense answered with a TD to bring the game back within 1 score.

What did the defense do then while they were "not playing as badly as the stat line suggests"?

For goodness sake, LOOK at what you're saying.  Here are the Eagles drives. 

What exactly about giving up TDs on 3 successive drives and 4 out of 5 possessions, keeping the ball for 15 minutes until late in the 4Q says "defense did not play as bad as the stat line suggests"to you ? 

What exactly about our D players referring to what they took as an "ass whupping" says "did not play as bad as the stat line suggests" to you?

image.png.a763dcc5ddb371c8e35bc98a8196e827.png

It really came down to that drive in the 4th quarter.  We got whooped on a 14 play drive for 83 yards that put the game out of reach both clock-wise and score-wise.  That's not ideal.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - what are the numbers for % of wins with QBs over 300 yards?  Im pretty sure its about the same as the % of wins with QBs under 300 yards.  Whatever happened in the 4th quarter was just a disaster in general.  Starting off a garbage time drive with 2 false starts in your own house was the icing on the cake

Yes! Now this makes sense. It is the correct take regarding this issue! 

A notable minority of posters on this board have a genuine fetish about 300 yard passing games.  You know what gets me aroused, wins. And that is the only statistic that matters. It is a truism that you are what your record says you are.  The Bills are 5-2!That is all that matters.

5 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Yes! Now this makes sense. It is the correct take regarding this issue! 

A notable minority of posters on this board have a genuine fetish about 300 yard passing games.  You know what gets me aroused, wins. And that is the only statistic that matters. It is a truism that you are what your record says you are.  The Bills are 5-2!That is all that matters.

He runs a fair amount - and on a day like this past sunday most QBs are not going to have 300 yards passing.  It was windy and rainy, you have to run the ball and complete short stuff to keep the sticks moving.  

22 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I believe 300 yd passing games may now be just over 0.500 in win %, but it's close.  It used to be under 0.500, but Mahomes has moved a few needles.

It really came down to that drive in the 4th quarter.  We got whooped on a 14 play drive for 83 yards that put the game out of reach both clock-wise and score-wise.  That's not ideal.  

That drive iced it, but IMO it was the preceding ~4 minute drive that put the game out of reach.  After their D did the blitzkreig 65 yd run TD to open the 2nd half, our O took the field and answered back with a nice, solid 85 yd, 4 1/2 minute drive.  That put the game back within 4 points and gave the D a chance to rest and regroup.

If our D had gotten them off the field without a score,  I think our offense would have had a shot to settle in and put together another nice long drive. 

But instead the D gave up a TD and at that point, our O started pressing and became ineffective.  Then the drive you allude to clinched it.

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He runs a fair amount - and on a day like this past sunday most QBs are not going to have 300 yards passing.  It was windy and rainy, you have to run the ball and complete short stuff to keep the sticks moving.  

Could someone please take a memo and send it to Daboll?

I swear, that guy is so focused on making the very very bestest cleverest plan in a vacuum that he can't see the strengths and limitations of his own players much less the impact of weather.

On 10/28/2019 at 3:25 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, these are good team guys, do you really expect them to throw their OC or position coaches under the bus publically, in front of the media?

That's weak sauce.  Weak sauce players and selfish players roll that way. 

Morse’s quote doesn’t even back Daboll specifically up. It’s more of a no matter who it is, we’re soldiers and we do our duty and run the plays that are called no matter how stupid or smart. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/28/2019 at 7:05 PM, Azucho98 said:

When your QB gets more planned run plays than your second RB, and your starting RB has 9 carries - you have offensive play calling problems.

boom

stop the designed josh run plays.....let him run only when a play breaks down

On 10/28/2019 at 9:33 PM, DuckyBoys said:

Daboll's offenses rankings in pts per game

2009  29th

2010 31st

2011 20th

2018 30th

2019 24th

not exactly confidence inspiring

Thus the reason he needs to go.  McDermott is a defense DNA coach and MUST have a strong O coordinator to make it all work.

Edited by Azucho98

7 minutes ago, papazoid said:

when the qb rolls out at the 5...the run pass option is tough to stop

Agreed. But it’s worked numerous times as a designed run. Both should be used. I agree he calls far too many in the middle of the field and I’m someone who doesn’t mind him running a lot. 

On 10/28/2019 at 5:20 PM, IDBillzFan said:

"Surpassing 300 yards passing would be nice as well."

I wish they would have started the article with this line so I would have stopped reading it sooner.

Riddle me this, How does Matt Schaub who has been drinking coffee for 4 years on a sideline step in and throw for 400 yards? 

Bills had a bad ending to the game, and the offense, especially Allen couldn't seem to execute a play.   I wouldn't put to much concern on 4th qtr of this game, the best the Bills could have done imo was score a 4th qtr TD to make it 31-20.  
For the rest of game, Bills wasted to many other opportunities as well.  There were way to many broken plays where players simply weren't running the correct play.  No excuse for that in week 8.  Between broken plays, penalties and mistakes the Bills waste to many possessions in every game. 

As far as Allens fumbles, as mentioned the one getting knocked out as he's throwing is only partly his fault.  But I think his biggest problem is the way he carries the ball when he runs, his elbow sticks out on the side to far.  He can be taught to keep his elbow down which will give him better ball security.  They should be working with him on that.