rumor Nate Clements to the redskins

freester

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know why people think TD will not pay top dollar for Nate Clements. One of the first things he did here was to pay our one star player 40+ million, Eric Moulds (which four years ago was a ton). He is not known for overpaying non-stars the way other teams do but he has paid his stars and I would imagine that he will pay Clements, or at least negotiate serious with him. If Clements makes the strides that he has made over the last year this year, and makes all the plays he can make without the bonehead ones, franchise him.

why not pay him? he's one of the best in the game at his position and i want to keep guys like that around........

will you have a similar attitude with willis in a few years? lee evans? jp?

300833[/snapback]

I agree 100%. Sign him to a huge bonus that can be amortized over 10 years, keep him for 6 and then move on.

Outside of Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams, the top 15-20 picks in this Draft will be overpaid. This Draft is sorely lacking in the Blue Chip player dept.

Keep Nate.

300938[/snapback]

This from the guy who all along said we should sign Bennie Anderson. A lot YOU know. :devil:

I have a pretty good idea how NFL trades work and I know that the Bills would have a tough time getting more than the 9th overall pick for Nate Clements.  That still does not make the trade acceptable to me,  as the Bills will be trading an excellent player in the prime of his career for a complete unknown in a draft with a questionable top 10.  I'm sorry,  but just because everyone else jumps off a bridge doesn't mean I'm going to.

300914[/snapback]

you are correct - drsaft picks are treated as teh holy grail.

If the Bills are committed to not re-signing Nate, they should pursue a player for player trade which will trade much better value. Like Travis for Shelton. I seem to remember Chris Samuels wanted to redo his contract and may be available.

A trade for Samuels would gie them more leverage with the Cards as well. the Bills would then have the luxury of demanding a pay cut out of Mike Williams.

Redskins Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams drafted Clements in the first round in 2001 in Williams first year as the Bills Head Coach...stay tuned!!!!!

300816[/snapback]

:devil:

Ha..Ha..Ha!!!

Not saying Ol' Greggo did not have a little imput...

But come on now...

:lol:

Ugh...you people are missing the point here.

NC WILL NOT BE A BILL NEXT SEASON...TD WILL NOT PAY HIM.

Once you understand this, we can begin to assess exactly what is best for our club, now and for the future.

You have to listen to any offers at this point.

300866[/snapback]

it may be better in the long run, but to quote john maynard keynes, in the long run we'll all be dead. the bills need to win this year. i'll start worrying about 2006 and after when the 2005 season is over.

it may be better in the long run, but to quote john maynard keynes, in the long run we'll all be dead. the bills need to win this year. i'll start worrying about 2006 and after when the 2005 season is over.

Yeah...okay. Point made. However, realistically this is a rebuilding year for us. We cannot realistically expect JP to come in here and take this team to the superbowl. It would be nice, and I would love it, but i dont think that is a reasonable expectation for him this year.

And I dont know how much a hit our defense takes with Antrell Roll, Pacman Jones or Ty Law at CB instead of NC

And I dont know how much a hit our defense takes with Antrell Roll, Pacman Jones or Ty Law at CB instead of NC

301032[/snapback]

Clements and Henry to the Cards for Their #1, #2, and Shelton?

Pull a peerless on him.  Let him work his ass off this year and slap him with the franchise tag.  I'm willing to bet there is a team out there desperate enough to give us a 1st round pick for him.

300910[/snapback]

That's part of the reason why he's worth MORE than a 9th pick in the first round. Clements is as good as it gets at CB. He is a great cover man, he plays the run like a SS and he makes plays and scores TD's. There isn't really another corner in the NFL who does all of these things as well as Clements.

You can entertain a trade though. Great teams can be built off of such trades. But it has to be a blockbuster, and just the 9th pick in this draft does not qualify. If you can't get all of that and more, just franchise Clements next offseason.

Clements is probably one of the if not the best CB this franchise has ever had.

300824[/snapback]

How many times did he fumble this year? I'm not saying he's not a good corner but he needs to hold on to the ball on punt returns. The thing I love about Clements is when he fumbles the ball on a punt he'll come right back with a pick ie Steelers game. I would hope that TD would make this trade for the simple reason that we won't be able to keep him. If we can keep him then lets not do the trade. Trade? yes but for more than a 9th

Yeah...okay.  Point made.  However, realistically this is a rebuilding year for us.  We cannot realistically expect JP to come in here and take this team to the superbowl.  It would be nice, and I would love it, but i dont think that is a reasonable expectation for him this year.

301032[/snapback]

What we can expect is that we have a 1/16 chance of making the superbowl, and a 1/32 chance of winning. JP will produce as much as Drew did, if not more. He's a better athlete. With Drew simply playing to protect the game, and not lose it for us like he did in several key games, we jsut barely missed the playoffs. I say this coming year, we're right back in the dog fight.

What good is he going to does us this season? we r not maing the playoffs and he will be gone next year! Unless you want to pay him a 15 mill bonus. Look at what Fred smoot got and is sooooo average!

300830[/snapback]

What good does the #9 pick do in a very average draft, other than opening up a new hole, without adequate compensation to fill it and make the team better? I also don't understand the logic that says there is no way we retain him next year. We have a good amount of cap room and have the franchise tag available.

I'd rather keep him this year and keep the #2 defense intact than take a huge risk in a weak draft.