rumor Nate Clements to the redskins

freester

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside of Braylon Edwards and Mike Williams, the top 15-20 picks in this Draft will be overpaid. This Draft is sorely lacking in the Blue Chip player dept.

Keep Nate.

300938[/snapback]

I dunno. Think about it, Mark: Nugent and 5 WRs, PLUS the 9th overall pick? Maybe we could get a really good holder at #9.

I dunno.  Think about it, Mark:  Nugent and 5 WRs, PLUS the 9th overall pick?  Maybe we could get a really good holder at #9.

300942[/snapback]

Tsk. Tsk. Taking duties away from Moorman?

at face value, this trade is pathetic. no way i would trade a pro bowl cornerback just hitting his prime for a draft pick. i don't care if its #9 or #1. you're trading a proven player for potential

unfortunately this is also NCs contract year, and in all likely hood he's a goner. hell, TD didn't even resign Pat Williams who said he wanted to stay and would even take less (but fair) money to stay a Bill. if TD doesn't expect Nate to resign, either out of not wanting to be a Bill or wanting more money than TD will pay, then make the trade.

the 9th overall in a weak draft is still much more attractive than a compensatory 3rd in 2007

Moorman?  He'll probably be traded anyway.  Nugent will punt too.  He may even coach a little bit on the side.

300952[/snapback]

Can we get a first rounder for Moorman? Maybe include that in the TH-Shelton deal, so we can pick Matt Jones at #8. So so far we have picks 8 and 9 in the draft? Anyone else willing to make a trade to get 30% of the top ten picks in the draft?

Can we get a first rounder for Moorman?  Maybe include that in the TH-Shelton deal, so we can pick Matt Jones at #8.  So so far we have picks 8 and 9 in the draft?  Anyone else willing to make a trade to get 30% of the top ten picks in the draft?

300954[/snapback]

Good thinking. With the 8th pick, we can get Takeo's replacement and then go after a holder with the 9th pick.

Two things.

One- This sounds like a really bad madden franchise trade.

Two- You just don't go all willy nilly trading away team leaders (especially for draft picks in a weak draft) Especially when team leaders are just entering the prime of their career's, and your team is dangerously thin at the position to begin with.

Now with that said, I'll amuse myself and entertain the idea. However, the only way I'd even be remotly happy about this assanine scenairo that has a slim-none chance of happening is if it guranteed that we end up with one of the following players

1. OLB- Derrick Johnson- Arguably the best defensive player in the draft, future stud, makes jeff posey expendable.

2. Wr Mike Williams- Imo the #1 wr in the draft. An absolute beast and tremendous redzone threat. We'd be set at wr for years to come.

3. Cb- Antrel Rolle- This is like trading nate clements for nate clements(the rookie version) and while I like rolle I'm not a big fan of player for pick trades where you end up picking someone at the same position

Anyway there are some players who could be good in this draft like Erasmus James, Shawn Merriam(john abraham jr, but extremely raw). Alex Barron another possibility, but I'd rather have someone with experience right now protecting the left side of the line.

Now after entertaining this madden like trade I'm gonna have to say I'm not interested in trading nate clements

How does WASH afford all these people with the salary cap????

300968[/snapback]

Pretty easily. The salary cap is a mirage (kind of). They defer bonus's and restructure contracts, and don't feel the hit until later into the contract, giving teams the flexibility to sign whomever they want. Unfortunatly it hasn't worked out for the redskins yet. I'm not a cap expert by any stretch of the imagination, but thats pretty much it in lamens terms.

Ugh...you people are missing the point here.

NC WILL NOT BE A BILL NEXT SEASON...TD WILL NOT PAY HIM.

Once you understand this, we can begin to assess exactly what is best for our club, now and for the future.

You have to listen to any offers at this point.

300866[/snapback]

I disagree, i feel TD has no issues paying top dollar to top players, aka Takeo Spikes. When you have talent like Spikes or Clements, and they are worth the money, I think TD pulls the trigeer. I think you are confusing the idea that TD assesses each player with a value, and if the value and dollars match up, I think in an ideal situation he goes for it. TD willl not pay top dollar to a Jonas jennings type, because he simply isn't worth it. Some players like Nate, they are special talent and a bonus to the team. I don't know how anyone can argue that Clements is overrated. He consistently gets picks, is fast, an excellent cover corner, competitive, and seems like he loves the game. Not only that, he can return punts very elusively. Why let a guy like that walk?

I know Clements will get a lot of money, but wont a #9 pick in the first round be highly compensated? Look at what Mike Williams is making and he was drafted four years ago.

If the dollars are going to be close, I would much rather have Clements, a proven quality player.

I dunno.  Think about it, Mark:  Nugent and 5 WRs, PLUS the 9th overall pick?  Maybe we could get a really good holder at #9.

300942[/snapback]

And a backup Punter.

For those of us closely following the draft, we've read how most of the top 10-15 teams wish to BAIL out of their pick and move down. There is very little seperating the number 9 pick and the number 40 pick in this draft. Lot's of pressure on the GM's to make the right pick.

Let the other teams overpay.

I don't know why everyone just assumes TD is gonna let Nate walk after this season. First off we let Winfield walk last eyar probably because the coaching staff knew Nate was their man and they ahd intentions of giving him the big money. I still think there's a good chance we work out a deal with Nate Clements and that would be my idela situation.

Second even if we cna't resign him, TD is smart enough not to just let a player of that caliber walk out the door with no compensation. He'll tag him with either the franchise or transition and the teams who salivate over Nate will give us soemthing.

I would much rather just keep the guy tho, he's going to be an impact big name player for the next 4-5 seasons